First experience trying to rent DVC points and so far not so great...

You get fully refunded any deposit paid if they don’t find the points within a states time I assume?

I can opt for a refund at any time. But unless I notify them otherwise, they’ll hold onto the deposit and just keep looking until there are no longer any vacancies for this unit type. And if/when that happens I still get my deposit back. So it seems a risk free process.

Last edited:
Just want to say thanks to everyone that replied. Lots of great points here that I hadn’t previously considered. Disboards always delivers! Cheers from Toronto, Canada.

Just want to say thanks to everyone that replied. Lots of great points here that I hadn’t previously considered. Disboards always delivers! Cheers from Toronto, Canada.
We used David's last year to rent AKV Savannah view. it might have taken a few weeks (can't remember exactly), but it came through and was a great experience. Good luck!

If you are willing to do some work, you can rent direct from an owner. The folks on the rental board here were great both giving me help and advice and also getting what we wanted to rent directly.We have 5 night SSR and BWV in December.

We rented points from David's a few years ago. It took a couple of weeks for them to find an owner with BWV points at 11 months out. I know it's hard, but be patient.

I’ve had great luck by going with private owners and not great luck going through rental agencies. Owners make more money renting on their own.

Some rent for cheaper than the agencies, and some are more expensive. I’ve found 2 owners through the rent/trade board here on disboards, and one through a dvc rental Facebook group.

Update: the reservation came through last night and we are off to AKL Jambo House in May 2020! Hard to believe we’re saving more than 50% off the rack rate. In fact, with the recent 2020 price increases, a pool view room at POP is within $30 of the nightly rental rate we’re paying for our standard view studio at a deluxe. David’s came through, so a big thanks to them and also to everyone on here for their insight.

Update: the reservation came through last night and we are off to AKL Jambo House in May 2020! Hard to believe we’re saving more than 50% off the rack rate. In fact, with the recent 2020 price increases, a pool view room at POP is within $30 of the nightly rental rate we’re paying for our standard view studio at a deluxe. David’s came through, so a big thanks to them and also to everyone on here for their insight.
Congrats! Enjoy everything about the resort! (And the basically 5 minute bus ride to AK)

Great to hear that you got such a wonderful deal. I learned a lot reading this thread— I always wondered how the rental process worked

Glad to hear it worked out. I was wondering if many DVC owners will want to use their points in 2020 to check out Star Wars...just a thought.

Glad to hear it worked out. I was wondering if many DVC owners will want to use their points in 2020 to check out Star Wars...just a thought.
Most DVC owners always use their points. We get an allotment every year and they have expiration dates. Some might be banking this year’s points so that they can stay longer or in larger villas next year. But only a small percentage of owners rent their points. Of all of the DVC owners that I know IRL, I’m the only one who has rented points out. The others usually find themselves in need of additional points.

I think that the real reasons that the brokers are short on points are that
  1. Renting has become more mainstream but the number of owners has not increased proportionately with demand.
  2. Brokers just aren’t paying owners enough for their points. I can get $18-$20 per point for BWV but the brokers will only pay me $14-$14.50. They barely reimburse me for my OOP costs for those points.

Last edited:
Most DVC owners always use their points. We get an allotment every year and they have expiration dates. Some might be banking this year’s points so that they can stay longer or in larger villas next year. But only a small percentage of owners rent their points. Of all of the DVC owners that I know IRL, I’m the only one who has rented points out. The others usually find themselves in need of additional points.

I think that the real reasons that the brokers are short on points are that
  1. Renting has become more mainstream but the number of owners has not increased proportionately with demand.
  2. Brokers just aren’t paying owners enough for their points. I can get $18-$20 per point for BWV but the brokers will only pay me $14-$14.50. They barely reimburse me for my OOP costs for those points.

Agreed! We rented our points out a couple times a few years ago. Since then we have doubled our points but have no plans to rent points, the return just isn't there. I am projected to have way too many points in my 2020 use year for my BCV contract, I know they would be rented out in a second, but the returns from the brokers aren't good enough and I really don't want to do it on my own. Instead, we are coming up with ways to use more points per stay in 2020, as we have quite a few banked points that will expire. Possibly upgrading to a 1 bedroom instead of a studio, getting rooms at Aulani for the whole family for one night instead of just one room for myself and DH. None of the other owners I know IRL rent their points, most are in borrow mode.

This is the exact reason why I always make sure to give them (especially DVC rental store) a good second option. I've never had to use the second option, thankfully it usually comes through even in more high demand seasons (which I know is rare), but it's always good if exploring this route to make sure you have a second option that you wouldn't mind staying at.

I have been a DVC member since 1997 and often rent points that my family is unable to use. There are numerous other members on the rent/trade board of this forum that do the same. I think it will be a much easier to rent points directly through one of these members than to deal with a rental agency such as Dave's.

Oh no we are looking to rent DVC points for March. I guess I am late!
Depends on the resort, dates, and accommodation size really. March is pretty slow and the 7 month window hasn't hit yet. Though once that does availability will start to disappear quickly, especially at near park and smaller resorts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter