first family trip

dledger

Mouseketeer
Im new to the family boards, as we have somewhat recently found out we are expecting a little one in early August. We currently have a trip in May 2018 booked, but are rescheduling for 2019 (most likely March) with our new baby. This trip is not for the baby, obviously, but mostly because we will have airline vouchers to use up and the baby is free - so why not?

So my question. We have been to Disney before, but this is our first child. We’ve obviously never traveled with a baby. I have tried looking for resources on tips for air travel and tips for travel to Disney - but they seem to be a mixed bag. I’ve been reading up on these boards but does anyone have tips? I THINK we will be staying at our home resort, POR- though I’d love to stay at BLT- it’s just not in the budget. We MIGHT have two extra sets of hands in my parents, but would like to only use them when we go on the bigger rides (splash, btmrr, and soarin specifically) and maybe for the wine tasting at AKL. We are rope dropping, park hopping people who DO return to the room to freshen up and rest.

I know this is broad, but I’m kind of looking for the gammet of information or even resources on planning the transition from 2 adults traveling to 2 adults and a (probably 7 month old) baby!

I haven't brought mine yet (that's in May) but I've had three friends bring their young ones. My friend took her son at 9 months old, for the most part at that age it's like bringing furniture. Furniture that pees, poops, eats, and sleeps. She actually preferred bringing him at 9 months to 14 months. Another friend took her almost year old, and while they planned on doing breaks back at the hotel, her daughter slept in the stroller or in her baby carrier during the day, so they just kept going.

Every kid is different though.

I would definitely use Amazon Prime Now for the diaper/baby food order, sure bring some with you but not for the whole trip.

Okay so I'm a 21 yo with absolutely no parenting experience; However, I thought it might be helpful to point out all the different "Baby Care Centers" throughout the parks. There is a list on another website which I'm not sure I'm allowed to post here, but I can PM you if you'd like. Baby Care Centers are awesome because they offer everything you'd need for a baby such as formula, medicine, diapers, etc. Even if you just want a place to rest and feed your baby, it's a cool, air-conditioned and quiet space.
How does a 21 yo like me know about this stuff you might ask? :scratchin I watch The Neverland Family on YouTube and they have a young daughter (age 5 or so) and a toddler boy who was a baby when they began. They also have other helpful parenting tips you can look out for and they're pretty entertaining in general to watch. Best of luck guys and congrats!!! :-)

My top tips for you (keep in mind I didn't take my son to WDW until his 3rd birthday, but took him everywhere locally at that age):

-Babywearing is key! Get him used to being worn in a carrier, it will make your life super easy. A quality linen ring sling is ideal, but if your child ends up being on the heavier side you may prefer a soft structured carrier such as an Ergo, Tula or Lillebaby. Google babywearing for more information. I took my son to state fairs, zoos, festivals, etc. and never even bothered with a stroller (your husband can wear a backpack with baby needs like diapers, change of clothes, etc.). My son would nap in the carrier, so no break needed for naps.

-Be prepared for feeding. Whether nursing or bottles, have a game plan. It's too soon to know what you'll be comfortable with and what your child will be eating at that point in time. Pouches are much easier and cleaner on the go than jars of food, fyi.

-Read up on which rides are loud. Nothing worse than scaring the baby mid-ride/show.

-Make sure everyone stays hydrated and take it easy!

I watch The Neverland Family on YouTube and they have a young daughter (age 5 or so) and a toddler boy who was a baby when they began. They also have other helpful parenting tips you can look out for and they're pretty entertaining in general

This is exactly the kind of tips I’m looking for! I had heard of the baby centers but I’m really into getting as much first hand info as possible and YouTube is one of my favorite resources. I appreciate the tip and will be checking out that family!

-Babywearing is key! Get him used to being worn in a carrier, it will make your life super easy. A quality linen ring sling is ideal, but if your child ends up being on the heavier side you may prefer a soft structured carrier such as an Ergo, Tula or Lillebaby. Google babywearing for more information. I took my son to state fairs, zoos, festivals, etc. and never even bothered with a stroller (your husband can wear a backpack with baby needs like diapers, change of clothes, etc.). My son would nap in the carrier, so no break needed for naps.

I am DEFINITELY planning on babywearing. Everything about it seems a lot easier overall- especially in regards to travel. For now I was planning on registering for an ergo or Tula (we live in CT so we need something that is all weather friendly). I’ve looked into ring slings but not sure how comfortable I feel with using them and my husband was a jumbo sized baby (he’s also a tall guy and I’m a shorty!) so while I’m fit- I’m not sure how comfortable I’ll be carrying in a sling.

A big CONGRATS on the baby. What an exciting time. We have traveled to WDW over 20 years now and I've been pregnant on three of the trips. Our second daughter was a few months old on her first trip and our third daughter was six weeks old. I've discovered through the years what works for one parent doesn't for another. Every baby is so different.(even siblings)First, erase all memory of your other trips as this one will be completely different. No kidding. It will surprise you how one little person can completely change a vacation. You will need more stuff, more breaks, and more shade!!! Babywearing is wonderful and will help a lot. A afternoon rest will be in order(more for you than the baby). Meals take on new meaning with a 7 month old. You will eat FAST. Now on with the good stuff... A baby or child at WDW adds a whole new level of magic to the trip. You will appreciate the little details that Disney does so well. Your little one will have you laughing at things you might have missed on your previous trips. Children make you slow down and Fantasyland will become your favorite place in the world. Unless your phone can hold thousands of photos you will need a camera. Your favorite Disney pastime will be taking pictures. Trust me!!!! Make sure you take the little one in for his/her first set of ears. A meal at Crystal Palace is a must-they are great with babies there. As hard as it is to pass on cute little outfits, look for comfortable ones instead. A comfy baby is a happy baby. Take a large pack of wipes in your stroller as your will use them almost as much as diapers, if not more. Having grandparents around for extra hands is a great idea. Not only can they be of help but they will enjoy watching the baby experience it all. Final thought, this will be the best vacation you've ever had. Enjoy this special time.

I am DEFINITELY planning on babywearing. Everything about it seems a lot easier overall- especially in regards to travel. For now I was planning on registering for an ergo or Tula (we live in CT so we need something that is all weather friendly). I’ve looked into ring slings but not sure how comfortable I feel with using them and my husband was a jumbo sized baby (he’s also a tall guy and I’m a shorty!) so while I’m fit- I’m not sure how comfortable I’ll be carrying in a sling.

If they have a babywearing group or moms group near you, find a place to try some on and get comfortable putting them on. They're kind of difficult at first. I found the ergo 360 while well structured (and allows forward facing) to be REALLY cumbersome.

ETA: As the below poster says, the ergo does have a short life span with tall kids. My daughter was 30 inches at 6 months...there wasn't much baby wearing going on with her....

Last edited:

Note that Ergos are normally fairly short backed, so not ideal for a tall child as they won't last long. Would be fine at 7 months, but you may not get as much use as you would another brand.

If you find a meeting to go to now, go ahead even it baby isn't here yet. Most moms at the meetings will let you try out carriers with their babies. :-) It's a very friendly group.

Thank you @sponica and @JK World for the baby wearing group tips. I used to work in childcare so I will be reaching out to former coworkers to see if they have any they know of in my area! It's so hard to weigh all the factors not knowing if my baby will be short like me or built more like my husband!
@katyjeka thanks for the advice! I'm on this board because I know our old ways of touring are at least going to have to temporarily change for now. I'm excited but nervous to see how we do Disney differently now! :)

Thank you @sponica and @JK World for the baby wearing group tips. I used to work in childcare so I will be reaching out to former coworkers to see if they have any they know of in my area! It's so hard to weigh all the factors not knowing if my baby will be short like me or built more like my husband!
@katyjeka thanks for the advice! I'm on this board because I know our old ways of touring are at least going to have to temporarily change for now. I'm excited but nervous to see how we do Disney differently now! :)

Definitely try out different ones if you can and just pick the one that you feel most comfortable putting on, if you end up with a shorter lifespan of baby wearing, so be it. That part's not worth stressing out over a ton...

Congrats! We took our daughter at 12 months and had a great time! We did a bit of baby wearing and a bit of stroller time. For us the key to a happy trip was to plan a few things and then remain flexible. We are usually pretty intense park-goers, so it was a bit of a change. (Although we did 4 parks in a day on that trip, so we weren't super chill.) Think about how easy it is to fold your stroller if you plan to park hop. We got a City Mini for travel since we knew we would be at Disney enough to make it worth it and it is so much easier to fold than our UPPAbaby. For us we did better with QS for most meals so we could be flexible with meals times as needed. If it had been very hot we might have felt differently!

Only other thing is to be kind to yourselves as you learn how you like to travel with a kid. I was sad about going alone on the big rides and that surprised me because I am very happy doing most things solo. Your plan of having grandparents help with a few rides is a good one if this is true for you. We appreciated that on our second trip with our kiddo at almost 2 years. When we go without another set of adults we probably plan mostly kid friendly rides during the day and then get a babysitter for at least on evening so we can have some time to do the other rides.

Good luck and happy planning!

Only other thing is to be kind to yourselves as you learn how you like to travel with a kid. I was sad about going alone on the big rides and that surprised me because I am very happy doing most things solo. Your plan of having grandparents help with a few rides is a good one if this is true for you. We appreciated that on our second trip with our kiddo at almost 2 years. When we go without another set of adults we probably plan mostly kid friendly rides during the day and then get a babysitter for at least on evening so we can have some time to do the other rides.

Good luck and happy planning!

This is 100% why we have postponed our trip. My husband doesn't want to ride alone and I knew I'd be sad to missing out on most of my favorite rides, specifically - splash mountain and soarin. It might be different once the baby is involved but traveling alone as a couple and spending so much time with me not able to participate wasn't my idea of a great time.
We are definitely considering the portability of our future stroller (was actually thinking of the city mini that you mentioned!) since we are day trippers in between two big cities ( Boston and NYC)

Appreciate the tips!

At 7ish months, your kiddo may or may not be using a sippy cup (my daycare started transitioning kids to sippy cups with water at 6 months). There are super cheap ones made by the first years so if you lose them or drop them, it's not the end of the world. https://www.amazon.com/First-Years-...TF8&qid=1516387316&sr=1-6&keywords=sippy+cups

At 7ish months, your kiddo might be eating baby food (and/or table food). Bibsters makes disposable bibs and bumkins makes waterproof ones. https://www.amazon.com/Bumkins-Disn...8&qid=1516387506&sr=8-6&keywords=bumkins&th=1. My daughter still wears a bib sometimes, and I love the waterproof ones. (when they get older, I highly recommend a silicone place mat you can bring with you to restaurants.)

Congratulations on the baby!!
We took our first family trip when oldest DD was 6 years and middle DD was 16 months. DH and I still mark that as one of our top trips ever! As a PP said-having a little one will force you to slow down and appreciate the details-which may become favorite things to see each time you go as kids get older. My girls were (and still are) tall so baby wearing never worked. The baby care centers are GREAT though for changing, feeding and (if you need to) nursing. Plan for shows that may be quieter when baby (or you) may need a break. Carousel of Progress and Peoplemover were great for this in MK. Studios-Beauty and the beast show was nice for a break. Lots of spots in Epcot (think shows that have theaters in the countries :)-heck I've been known to take a nap in a couple still LOL.
May is also a nice time of year to go.
Some babies that age love to go go go and some are reserved and characters may frighten them, so be prepared that the baby's first Mickey photo could be a bust.
We stayed offsite and tended to not go back for naps as my youngest at the time just napped in stroller. I actually liked offsite better when they were younger as it was nice to have separate bedrooms-everyone slept better. Still very nice as they've gotten older but we tend to split on/off site stays now as they like to go off on their own while mom and dad hang at pool or in a lounge with a drink:)

Try to relax and go with flow and not be stuck with rigid touring plan-with kids plans WILL change on the fly, and that is OK. Heck even on our August trip I had to scrap a very hard to get BOG lunch ADR as youngest woke up not feeling great in early am hours. So we cancelled, slept in, hung around resort/pool and by lunch he was much better. Turned out to be a good day/evening even though plans totally changed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter