First Family Vacation - Should we go to Disney?

riversend22

Mouseketeer
So I'm looking for opinions on what we should do. Hubby and I need a vacation (it's been a long year lol) and this will be the first with our 1 year old son! When we started discussing, Disney was my first suggestion because it's familiar to us. He and I have gone almost every year since we've been married (9 years), so we know the ropes. I also know that Disney has a lot to offer a child and I feel that my son will be very engaged while there which I like.

However, we are second guessing a bit whether we should continue with our Disney planned trip, or whether we should try and go someplace else. Number one, Disney is super expensive and although we can afford it, we just bought a house and we are wondering if it's a smart move at this time. Secondly, we are a bit nervous to travel on a plane with our rather active and squirmy little guy.

We are located in the Northeast and are willing to drive to a location, but I would really like to go someplace relatively warm, and everything I look at, I wonder if we'll be bored because we've never done anything but a theme park.

So the question is, what do we do? Does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit on the east coast (Virginia is prob the furthest we'd want to drive) that would be fun and engaging for the whole family? Or should we just face the fear of the plane and go with the familiar/safeness of Disney?

*For the record, we do have a reservation at Port Orleans for 7 days (4 park days)*

Thanks in advance!

Before we took our kids to Disney when they were 6 and 11 we took them to Williamsburg Virginia. That was a nice place to visit. They are now 22 and 18 and we cruise more now but are thinking about doing Disney this December.

I feel like we don't have enough information to answer your question. What do you enjoy doing besides theme parks? What time of year are you travelling? In what general area do you live? We've done many enjoyable family vacations to places other than Disney -- but I don't know whether they will appeal to you without knowing more about your situation.

LOVE Disney but we purposely didn't take our two boys until they were 6 and 8. In part, because our six year old is actually the thrill ride lover, and he's a little on the short side so by the time we went, he had just reached 44 inches in height. Had he been any shorter and unable to do some of those bigger rides, he wouldn't have enjoyed the trip nearly as much. Also, the first time my parents took me was over my 7th birthday and I can remember the trip but not in great detail. If I'm spending this much money, I want my kids to have some recollection or memory of it. And... the other reason... I am a thrill ride lover myself and wouldn't have enjoyed the trip as much just waiting in line for kiddie rides and character meet and greets. We actually don't care at all about seeing characters unless it happens organically so going when the kids were really little just didn't appeal to us.

Now - in saying all that - we have a baby girl due this summer. We are leaving her with my MIL for our 2019 trip but are considering taking her in 2021 or 2022 even though she will be small. Something about having a girl in Disney to see all the princesses appeals to me more than the thought of taking my boys when they were younger.

I feel like at that age they can go anywhere and be mesmerized...I think a couple days at VA beach/4 days at Williamsburg is doable (if you don't want to go to Disney). You can get decent hotel rates in late May before they switch over to peak season (at least you could a decade ago...)

If you're really concerned about the plane, buy him a seat and strap him in the car seat.

Congrats on your son turning 1! I would plan a vacation that you two want to go on without specifically centering it around your son...at 1 y/o they have the most fun, regardless of where they are, just spending time with Mom & Dad.

That said, we did the 1 year old trip to WDW with our DD1 a ways back and had a blast because we're Disney people and that's what WE wanted to do. She remembers none of it, but we have the pics to prove it!

I feel like we don't have enough information to answer your question. What do you enjoy doing besides theme parks? What time of year are you travelling? In what general area do you live? We've done many enjoyable family vacations to places other than Disney -- but I don't know whether they will appeal to you without knowing more about your situation.

Sorry, should have included that! We are in NY so we'll be traveling from there. As far as what we enjoy, I've been everywhere (traveled with my family a lot as a kid) but my husband has only been to Disney. I think we mostly just like being entertained and always having something to do. I'm a stay at home mom, so I want to feel like it's different than being at home (if that makes sense). We like the beach but can only sit there for a few hours. We don't dislike the outdoors but are mostly indoor people. We are traveling at the end of April into early May.

I should also add that for this trip, we wouldn't be so concerned about the rides at Disney because we've done them all. I think we'd want to try and hit a few of our favorites, but thankfully that includes the ones that the baby can join us on. We would mostly be going to just enjoy the parks, eat and spend time at the resort. But that's where the indecisiveness comes in...is it worth doing Disney if rides/parks aren't the main focus?

After making you give me all of that information, I find that I don't have a lot of ideas that would be within reasonable driving distance and guaranteed warm in early May. That requirement almost dictates going south. Maybe DC and Kentucky? You could get in some urban adventures and nightlife in DC and then do more outdoorsy things in Kentucky. This B&B is one of my favorite places in the US https://snughollow.com/ and Kentucky was one of the surprise hits of a 5 week cross-country trip that DH and I did some years ago.

We lived in California when my son was a baby and regularly took him on cross-country flights to visit the grandparents. NY to Orlando is a much shorter flight and should be totally doable with a baby. So if the only thing that's keeping you from the vacation that you really want is fear of taking a baby on a plane, I wouldn't let that stop you.

Sorry, should have included that! We are in NY so we'll be traveling from there. As far as what we enjoy, I've been everywhere (traveled with my family a lot as a kid) but my husband has only been to Disney. I think we mostly just like being entertained and always having something to do. I'm a stay at home mom, so I want to feel like it's different than being at home (if that makes sense). We like the beach but can only sit there for a few hours. We don't dislike the outdoors but are mostly indoor people. We are traveling at the end of April into early May.
My husband is like that. He likes to be entertained when we go places. He doesn't do hiking or stuff like that. You don't have to go to disney if it is the cost of tickets. You could always do another theme park if that's the case. Like seaworld or something and maybe you'd be able to find a deal. Our favorite close to home event is actually during the summer, the Bristol Renaissance Faire. I have included a link to a wiki list that shows some of the fairs in the U.S. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Renaissance_fairs#United_States I was def. surprised that my husband liked this. Sometimes you never know.

First of all, congrats on surviving the first year with a baby. That's a huge deal!

Secondly, we are a bit nervous to travel on a plane with our rather active and squirmy little guy.!

I really wouldn't worry about this... like, at all. We have three small kids (ages 3 and under) and fly constantly. It has never been a big deal. We usually do fly Southwest (not uncommon to be on a flight that's at least 20% families) and people have always been really understanding. To me, the only time I DON'T enjoy flying with my kids is around 13-15 months. This is just NOT my favorite phase overall, when they want to get down and walk but are too young to easily reason with. Still, a flight from the Northeast to Fl is what, 3 hours tops if you can go direct. Not bad at all, you'd be fine.

You'll get tons of good advice about how to travel with a baby and I think it all really comes down to what your kid can handle best (i.e. carseat vs. not, stroller vs. carrier, etc). Our 2 youngest currently are both "lap babies" so we can't fly with 1 adult + 3 kids currently, but seriously with a 2 adult:1 kid ratio, you'll be in awesome shape. Flying with a baby sounds SO much scarier than it is.

We are located in the Northeast and are willing to drive to a location, but I would really like to go someplace relatively warm, and everything I look at, I wonder if we'll be bored because we've never done anything but a theme park.

So the question is, what do we do? Does anyone have any suggestions for places to visit on the east coast (Virginia is prob the furthest we'd want to drive) that would be fun and engaging for the whole family? Or should we just face the fear of the plane and go with the familiar/safeness of Disney?

The boldest is precisely what would make me want to do something else. WDW is great (granted, I've only been there three times so I guess I'm not as diehard as many!) but there are so many amazing locations on the East Coast that would probably be a waayyyy less expensive vacation and also can be made very kid-friendly. Some that we've done with our kids that have been equally as magical, in a different way- Vermont in the fall, Hilton Head, Savannah, Charleston, Williamsburg, Sanibel/Captiva Island, Kiawah Island, Cape Cod in summer. We had an amazing trip to Washington DC when we only had one child (she was just about 1 year old) and we found it SOOO amazing with a baby. She was happy to hang in her stroller, toddle around the museums, and we were even able to stay out late at night walking around looking at the monuments all lit up while she slept in the stroller. With 1 kid, the fancy dinners and all that are also way more doable so I recommend taking advantage while you can!

Good luck with whatever you pick!

We had an amazing trip to Washington DC when we only had one child (she was just about 1 year old) and we found it SOOO amazing with a baby.

DC is actually an option. I went to school there and love the museums and my husband loves history, so I think it would be fun! Since you mentioned going...do you have any recommendations on where to stay? I've looked at local hotels near the mall but they are a bit high priced so I'm wondering about the surrounding areas. I

.I think a couple days at VA beach/4 days at Williamsburg is doable

Virginia Beach is another one that popped in my head so thanks! I visited many years ago for a softball tournament, and really enjoyed it. I didn't realize there is a Busch Gardens in Williamsburg so that could give us the park aspect while also giving us something new at the beach.

We brought our 1 yo son to Disney and it was great. He’s now 13 and looking back at all the trips, he definitely had the most fun when he was 8 and up. For my daughter, it was 3 and up (each kid is different).
We’re in the Northeast as well and have done Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach and just last summer did Ocean City. All are great. My kids love our ocean trips as much as Disney.

Oh, I'm firmly in the go to Disney camp. Sounds like it's not too much of a budget issue. (If I'm wrong, I would say go somewhere else - I'm not one to suggest trips out of budget). But you will see one of your favorite places completely differently through the eyes of your son. Yeah, you'll need to rider swap if you want to do a thrill ride but you'll also go do things you never thought about before and experience some of that joy.

We took my son when he was 13 months (and his older sister) and he had many highlights. No, the trip wasn't FOR him - but we all had a blast together. He loved the drummers at Animal Kingdom in front of the Safari. He loved the safari! Nemo show was scary. But the Tiki room had him dancing, Small World had him giggling, the Move It Shake It party had him grooving and moving, the monorail made him squeak EVERY time, etc.

For the plane - try to find something to let him burn off energy before the flight (our airport has a playground, but we've also used some emtpy chairs!), bring LOTS of snacks and drinks, bring some electronic entertainment and he might even just nap. :)

Since it sounds like you'll be able to make more trips in the future... Go! Have fun!!

LOVE Disney but we purposely didn't take our two boys until they were 6 and 8. In part, because our six year old is actually the thrill ride lover, and he's a little on the short side so by the time we went, he had just reached 44 inches in height. Had he been any shorter and unable to do some of those bigger rides, he wouldn't have enjoyed the trip nearly as much. Also, the first time my parents took me was over my 7th birthday and I can remember the trip but not in great detail. If I'm spending this much money, I want my kids to have some recollection or memory of it. And... the other reason... I am a thrill ride lover myself and wouldn't have enjoyed the trip as much just waiting in line for kiddie rides and character meet and greets. We actually don't care at all about seeing characters unless it happens organically so going when the kids were really little just didn't appeal to us.

Now - in saying all that - we have a baby girl due this summer. We are leaving her with my MIL for our 2019 trip but are considering taking her in 2021 or 2022 even though she will be small. Something about having a girl in Disney to see all the princesses appeals to me more than the thought of taking my boys when they were younger.

Haha. Congratulations on your baby girl! I have two boys and then my 3 year old princess. So I know exactly what you’re saying about girls in disney. Unfortunately, she isn’t a big princess fan so far. She’s all Daniel Tiger all the time but she likes those stupid YouTube videos of the kids playing with Anna and Elsa dolls so I’m hoping to hook her with Frozen prior to our August trip. She’ll be almost 4 so she probably won’t have any memory of it but I will. Also her oldest brother is 10 and almost every kid in our district has done Disney and been on a plane. My middle guy is 7 and loves theme parks (he’s 47 inches now so I think he’ll hit the 48 inch mark by the trip with shoes). So we’re going. Of course I’m a teacher so we’re going in probably the worst month of the year but oh well. We’re going now and staying onsite. We will go back in 5-6 years and probably stay off site (so my sister who can’t afford it alone...we’ll rent a big house). She’ll remember that trip and we’ll add in Universal and the other parks on that trip.

You should go elsewhere...if for no other reason that your spouse has literally never had the chance. Since you feel like theme parks might be nice to have available, I would do Williamsburg, VA. You'll have beautiful weather when you want to go (not TOO hot, but "just right"), you'll be able to see something brand new at an amazing price vs Disney, and you'll be able to take the vacation at your 1 year old's speed. Do a day trip to VA Beach and keep Williamsburg as "home base", since you aren't "beach people" for more than a few hours. Check out Colonial Williamsburg (1 day), Jamestown (1 day), Yorktown (1 day), the beach (1 day), and Busch Gardens (2 days) and have a great time!:)

Thank you everyone for your replies! After talking it out, we've actually decided to go with a trip to Washington D.C. I've always loved museums and my husband loves politics and history so it's a perfect fit for this trip. I love all of the recommendations for VA too so I'm thinking maybe we'll make that another trip later in the year!

Thank you everyone for your replies! After talking it out, we've actually decided to go with a trip to Washington D.C. I've always loved museums and my husband loves politics and history so it's a perfect fit for this trip. I love all of the recommendations for VA too so I'm thinking maybe we'll make that another trip later in the year!

Love DC! Also consider Philadelphia! The historic landmarks are all within walking distance along with a few museums and they also have a fantastic children's museum, natural history museum plus the Franklin Institute. We stayed at the Loews when we went and they even have an indoor pool, plus it's right across from Reading Terminal Market for some great food!

I would also put Hershey on your list of potential vacation spots!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter