First Family Vacation - Should we go to Disney?

Thank you everyone for your replies! After talking it out, we've actually decided to go with a trip to Washington D.C. I've always loved museums and my husband loves politics and history so it's a perfect fit for this trip. I love all of the recommendations for VA too so I'm thinking maybe we'll make that another trip later in the year!

We stayed at Embassy Suites in Crystal City. It was very clean and had a nice breakfast and happy hour. It was nice to have two rooms. That would be ideal with the baby. They have microwaves and refrigerators in the rooms which I always looked for with a little one. It was a little farther out which made it a bit more affordable. It was an easy walk to the metro which would great for commuting with a stroller or Uber worked well also.

I personally wouldn't take a 1 year old to Disney. I know lots of people do.. but to me that just doesn't sound fun, lol. I'd go somewhere else then go to Disney when he's older and not napping anymore, can handle longer days, you don't need a stroller.. etc. It's just too much money IMO.

Thank you everyone for your replies! After talking it out, we've actually decided to go with a trip to Washington D.C. I've always loved museums and my husband loves politics and history so it's a perfect fit for this trip. I love all of the recommendations for VA too so I'm thinking maybe we'll make that another trip later in the year!

Nice! Have a great relaxing trip!

I should also add that for this trip, we wouldn't be so concerned about the rides at Disney because we've done them all. I think we'd want to try and hit a few of our favorites, but thankfully that includes the ones that the baby can join us on. We would mostly be going to just enjoy the parks, eat and spend time at the resort. But that's where the indecisiveness comes in...is it worth doing Disney if rides/parks aren't the main focus?
Haven't yet read through all the responses, but we are heading to Disney soon!!! (yayayayay!) with our one year old twins, so I vote do it! We are aware, like you've said, that this trip will be very different than many we've done in the past, but we are ok with that. These are our miracle babies, and for the duration of years and years of heartache, it was dreams of family trips among other hopes and prayers that got us through. Now that we have our family, it feels fitting to celebrate. We know it'll be stressful, and tiring, and we will need a vacation for this vacation, but we couldn't be more excited about finally getting to do Disney as a family. Good luck deciding! (Also, for what it's worth, we are driving from Maine. Gluttons for punishment, but I at least want some control over the minimal control our dynamic duo allow us...)

DC is actually an option. I went to school there and love the museums and my husband loves history, so I think it would be fun! Since you mentioned going...do you have any recommendations on where to stay? I've looked at local hotels near the mall but they are a bit high priced so I'm wondering about the surrounding areas.

We stayed near the Dupont Circle metro stop, not too far off Embassy Row. We metro'd around most of the city (and out to Alexandria one day) but also walked to monuments etc a few times (a few miles but a fun walk). Wish I could remember the name of the hotel but I know there are several good ones in that area :) Enjoy your trip!

If your husband loves politics and history, maybe consider a future trip to Philadelphia/Valley Forge, or to Gettysburg!

When we did DC we stayed at the Wyndham in National Harbor. A $10 Uber to the national mall. They had lots to do in National Harbor and were still adding things when we were there. We had a really great time!

I live about 30 mins from DC so maybe that’s why I feel blah about it, but DC over Disney? I’d think a one year old would be more engaged in Disney. I’m happy youdecid d though and I hope you have a great trip. The Natural History museum is awesome, and the new Native American museum is too. Holocaust Museum is a must see, though depressing of course and not sure about bringing a baby there. DC zoo is great, and free. Have fun!

OK, I see you've made a decision about going to Washington, DC. Isn't it going to still be pretty cold there at the end of April?? I was originally going to suggest Cape Cod, NH, Maine, or even upstate NY, until I saw when you were planning to go. All of the places I listed will still be cold, too.

The other thing I was going to say is, that we flew to Orlando this month with Southwest, on new planes, and both ways Providence to MCO and back, took just two hours and 15 mins. (It used to take 3 hrs.) It would be even less from NY. If you went to Disney, I'd think you could make it mainly a resort vacation, as there's so much to do just around the resorts. Pick a good one. (? AKL, WL) You could dabble in the parks if you wanted to a little bit, for fun, but mainly just hang out.

I remember one time when my kids were young we were thinking of going skiing for a change. But by the time I priced it up, it cost more than a Disney vacation, and my DH said he'd rather be warm and dry than cold and wet, lol, so off we went to Disney instead.

Just a little FYI Disney Vacation Club has a place in Hilton Head SC. You can see if they have cash rooms available. Great beach house, great beach. Lot's of fun there.

My husband & I have done DC with our three when the youngest was 1 1/2 and again when they were all in primary school. First time we stayed outside of DC and last time we stayed in a Marriott that was in between the Convention Center & the National Archives. We went at the beginning of June and the price was very reasonable for being right in DC. It was under $150 for the night. I tried booking it for my brother the following year but later in the summer and the price was pushing $300. I definitely liked being right in the city and walking to all the sites & restaurants were right near by.

We love Washington DC but had to add, take a ton of money as food is as expensive there as WDW. I couldn't believe the cost of a couple hotdogs and bags of chips at the National Mall, crazy!!!!

We're in NY and Disney was our first family vacation with our kids (we went for the first time for their 2nd bday). When they're older I think we'll branch into other vacations (DC, Boston, etc. where we can do more educational things) but I think at this younger age (they'll be turning 7 this next trip) Disney has been the best choice for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter