First haircut but REALLY short hair?

MyGoofy26

DIS Veteran
Has anyone done the first haircut at Harmony Barber shop for a toddler whose hair is just starting to get any amount of length?

We go in May. My daughter will be 16 months. She was a very bald baby, so we’re JUST at the point of being able to graduate from headbands to clip in bows. I really want her first haircut to be at Disney, but we’re not planning on going back til the 50th—likely spring 2022.

Has anyone gotten a haircut that’s entirely for formalities and not necessity? Or should I let her grow wild and get an official cut next trip?

No offense, but I don't really get the first haircut at Disney thing. I would just get her hair cut when you need it and not worry about it being at Disney.

No offense, but I don't really get the first haircut at Disney thing. I would just get her hair cut when you need it and not worry about it being at Disney.
It’s not for everybody, but after four losses, and going through infertility treatment to get her here I like to make a big deal about as many milestones as I can.

A friend does our hair, so if it’s not at Disney it’s going to be an extra anticlimactic first cut in a craft room at someone’s house.

It’s not for everybody, but after four losses, and going through infertility treatment to get her here I like to make a big deal about as many milestones as I can.

A friend does our hair, so if it’s not at Disney it’s going to be an extra anticlimactic first cut in a craft room at someone’s house.
Yeah I get it and everyone is definitely welcome to their own opinion!

I would definitely do the "first haircut" package while in Disney. The child won't remember, but I guarantee, you will never forget. While in Disney, please make as many magical memories that you can with your little one! Hope you enjoy every minute!!!

We did when we adopted our two youngest from Ethiopia. Our son was almost 3 so it wasn't his first haircut in real life, but they made a big deal anyway. Our daughter was 8 months and she had a little hair, but not a lot, was perfectly fine. They don't really cut much off and save a few locks for the parents. When I've seen others do it, they really don't cut much, more for the experience.

Has anyone done the first haircut at Harmony Barber shop for a toddler whose hair is just starting to get any amount of length?

We go in May. My daughter will be 16 months. She was a very bald baby, so we’re JUST at the point of being able to graduate from headbands to clip in bows. I really want her first haircut to be at Disney, but we’re not planning on going back til the 50th—likely spring 2022.

Has anyone gotten a haircut that’s entirely for formalities and not necessity? Or should I let her grow wild and get an official cut next trip?
more than the short hair how is she around strangers? that can be a rough age for haircuts

Thanks, guys. I think I’m gonna check available times and see if we can squeeze it in. She has a few longer patches—poor kid was born with a mohawk

more than the short hair how is she around strangers? that can be a rough age for haircuts

She has a few minutes of stranger danger, then she hams it up.

She’s terrified of the doctor though. So I guess it’s a flip of the coin which version of her we’d get for a haircut.

I would do it. I'm sure the stylists in the barber shop are used to cutting toddlers' hair of various lengths and I'm sure have dealt with their fair share of tears from their littlest clients. My DS has gotten his haircut there a few times and we've seen a few first haircuts and they are adorable! I would go for it!

My youngest two sons had their first haircuts at WDW. Neither needed it. We did it just to do it. They were both around 8-10 months old. The barber used stickers and a spinning toy to keep them distracted. It worked!

Do it!!!!!! I cant reccomend it more!! And they keep every little piece they cut!! Also if you have memory maker request for a photpass photog when you check in!! We had one come and took pics from start to finish of the whole process!!

Thanks everyone! I think I'm gonna have to book it. Go all out on the milestones and memories this trip.

Absolutely! We only go every few years, so we had our youngest daughter's done when she didn't exactly need it. It's a really cute experience and it's pretty inexpensive. View attachment 480255View attachment 480256

Your daughter's hair is almost exactly like my daughter's hair! Thank you for sharing those pics! I don't feel so silly now. Haha!

I totally did this! My daughter was a premie and so her hair was super fine and sparse but they did a lovely job with her combover and she got little bangs. I don't know if they still have the "My First Haircut" Mickey ear hats but both my kids got one here and these are among my most treasured mementos - along with the pictures of her being distracted by one of the cast members blowing bubbles. I have the ears in a shadow box along with binkys, a bit of their baby hair and their first shoes. To me it was totally worth it and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

My eldest was 19 months when we took her on her first trip and she got her first haircut, she had very little hair and it was fine. They do a great job.
My youngest was 10 months when we took her last year and she also got her first haircut, had even less than our eldest - again great job and the memories are wonderful.

We have their certificates, special Mickey Ears and the little pouch of hair (with mickey dust inside) in their baby boxes - will make lovely memories when they are older.

You don't have to have them actually cut it. They will just do the fun glitter and make it "fun".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter