First Night Tips for tired travellers

patton1j

Earning My Ears
My family and I will be arriving in Disney from the UK after travelling for 18-20+ hours. We land at Orlando at around 1730 local and have to pick up a rental car from Alamo. I am looking for suggestions on picking up some supplies on our route from Alamo to Disney and something quick but healthy to eat. That way we can get to our room and relax, ready to hit our character breakfast the first full day.

:confused:

My wife and I usually take the greenway, I believe that is what it is called, from the airport to Disney. If you just want to get items like cokes, water, and some ice any service station will have most items like these. As far as eating, I would wait til I got to the resort. That way you could park the car, check in, and go eat and enjoy your meal since you will already be at the resort.

What, are you nuts!!!???? Just kidding, but I was wondering if you were coming from Australia with all that travelling! I fly from Glasgow to Gatwick and then out to MCO and it only takes a total of 11hours (several of which are spent at the airports!). Last time I looked, Scotland is further from Orlando than England, but if you can correct me, I'll be really really pleased.. LOL!

No seriously you guys, we always go to the parks on the first night... you need to stay awake so that your body adjusts to the new time zone.

:)

There is a grocery store and shopping area out of the east entrance near the Downtown Disney Area. You have to leave the property but it is STRAIGHT out the entrance and you can't miss it. There is also a Taco Bell there for that Healthy Food you are insisting on :rolleyes: Just joking.

If you told us what hotel you are staying at, we might be able to help you more... on property, off property?

The Greenway is the best way. All the rental car companies send you this way anyway. It is a TOLL road so you will need about $3 in change to give the toll booth attandents.

Good Luck and Enjoy.

Oh ya, one more thing:

SLEEP ON THE PLANE!!! :o

Dear 1MMFan,

I take your point but I was counting total travel time not just the flight. I have worked out that:

Drive from home to airport: 1.0 hour
Park car/get to terminal: 0.5 hour
Check in 2 hours prior: 2.0 hour
Flight: 9.0 hours
Clear customs/bags etc: 1.5 hours
Get the rental car: 1.0 hour
Drive to Disney: 1.0 hour
Total: 16.0 hours

So OK 16 hours as long as there are no delay's/hangups/wrong turns. But it will be 12.00 midnight UK time when we get there and we will have a 7 year old with us. We will try to sleep on the plane but I think we will all be to excited.

For the other replies thanks for the info. We are staying at Shades of Green (Husband is US military). The shopping area near Downtown Disney sounds good then if we are feeling up to it we can hang out there too!

10 days and counting........

Patton1j,

Just kidding LOL. Hope you didn't take it too seriously.

#1MMFan

You will like the Shades of Green. My wife and I have stayed there. They used to have a nice little sports bar by the pool where you could get food, not sure what time they quit serving food, they also have a nice restaurant.

The rooms are also quite large.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter