First Night

Dreambig39

Earning My Ears
Help! As my 180 day reservation window approaches, I am becoming more panicky and less decisive! I have decided that due to late check-in times and the fact that we will have been traveling all day, it will be best to skip a park. I am trying to choose from meandering through Disney Springs and eating at Raglan Road; dining at O'Hana and trying to catch a view of fireworks; or Whispering Canyon and trying to get view of fireworks. 3 boys ages ALMOST 13 (I can't really call this 12 as he is turning into this teenager thingy!), 11, and 7 at time of travel, plus DH. What do you think?

Hi! When our boys were that age they enjoyed going into the parks the first night. We had APs so it wasn't a big deal. If we were buying a ticket for that day I don't think we would have gone to a park. I like the idea of going to Whispering Canyon & then watching the fireworks. Are you staying at the lodge? The boat ride over and back is part of the fun.

Welcome to the DIS :welcome:
I would chose option 4- grab a quick simple meal at your resort.
After traveling all day with 3 kids, they (& you) will be tired.
Get to your resort, spend some time touring the grounds, etc because there is always something to see & this will get your family excited for what's to come....tomorrow!
Do you really want to spend a bundle on food your kids might not eat because they're tired & grumpy? The restaurants are loud & very stimulating places.
Better to let all your guys (including DH) rest & be totally ready the next day!

While I reaaaally wanted to go into a park that night, my more realistic DH assured me that with a 4pm check-in, we would pretty much lose a park day ticket by going into the park that night. My last trip with the boys, left me missing my first fastpass to meet Mickey at MK due to the amount of time it took to get from airport to resort and check-in took longer than expected. As we finally approached the fully decorated (October) gates and I looked down at my kiddos with excitement, only to find the two in the stroller (3 & 6) were asleep and the 8yo walking was dragging. I am trying not to over-plan this time, yet still plan enough to make the most of our time.
We are actually staying off-property, but in a Disney Springs resort. This is why I thought about RR at Disney Springs, but just wasn't sure about the loudness. It gets great reviews, thought. We went to O'Hana last visit and it was great, but I thought there might be something try something different. Never been to WCC, but it seems to get such mixed reviews.
Basically, I would like something kid friendly, a little different/fun, but not obnoxious.

I think that Whispering Canyon could be really fun for those ages. The atmosphere in the restaurant is awesome if you don't mind it being a little rowdy, and having a good server can be an absolute hoot. Plus, Wilderness Lodge is really beautiful to walk around!

I think that Whispering Canyon could be really fun for those ages. The atmosphere in the restaurant is awesome if you don't mind it being a little rowdy, and having a good server can be an absolute hoot. Plus, Wilderness Lodge is really beautiful to walk around!
Agree. And make sure your boys ask for the ketchup.

Personally I wouldn't make any ADR for arrival night. If your family is up to it, there are so many great dining options in DS that you should be able to get a last minute ADR or even walk up somewhere. Or, if everyone is tired, just hang out at the resort and do QS. I know it's hard to not to over plan but in my experience it's best to start off the trip with everyone well rested and in a good mood!

Personally I wouldn't make any ADR for arrival night. If your family is up to it, there are so many great dining options in DS that you should be able to get a last minute ADR or even walk up somewhere. Or, if everyone is tired, just hang out at the resort and do QS. I know it's hard to not to over plan but in my experience it's best to start off the trip with everyone well rested and in a good mood!

I totally agree. IMO, it's much more relaxing to start a trip with a low-key meal with no real timeline or location. Plus, so many QS's are similar in terms of basic offerings for a quick, stress-free meal. You're sure to find something closeby that everyone will enjoy.

If you don't mind sharing, where are you staying @Dreambig39?

There are a lot of factors. What time will you get there, when will you get up, where are you staying? Frankly, I'd just play it by ear. I know that is blasphemy here on the boards but trust me, you can get last minute ADRs somewhere if you want them, we never make ADRs in advance and have never had a problem getting them. Just see how everyone feels. If they are too tired for words, hang out at the resort, maybe go to the pool and grab something to eat at the resort then make an early night of it. If the kids are keyed up and you can grab tickets for another day at the end of the trip, go to the parks and let those boys burn off some energy and grab an ADR in the park or QS.

Hmm teens and food, you really can't go wrong with Ohana's (try for ADR as close as possible for fireworks) or Whispering Canyons All You Can Eat Skillet. Have to admit thou in June when we go my family is eating at Ohana's twice and Whispering Canyon once for dinner. I take my own advice.

What about heading to Ft. Wilderness and doing the quick service next to Trail's End? Love the fried chicken!!! Then maybe the hay ride? Or take the boat to Contemporary and watch fireworks from there?

We are actually staying off-property, but in a Disney Springs resort. This is why I thought about RR at Disney Springs, but just wasn't sure about the loudness. It gets great reviews, thought. We went to O'Hana last visit and it was great, but I thought there might be something try something different. Never been to WCC, but it seems to get such mixed reviews.
Basically, I would like something kid friendly, a little different/fun, but not obnoxious.

Missed you talking about your off-property resort! Totally understand why you'd aim for DS now. My recommendation is to try Earl of Sandwich. It's my absolute favorite DS quick meal. It's incredibly well-priced for a family and there's a decent-sized menu so it's easy to find something for everyone. The only obnoxious factor could be a bit of a long line at times, but I've always been pretty lucky. And even if there is a long line, they really move in there! Don't let it scare you.

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/diningdetail.cfm?restaurant.id=335

Personally, I'd choose EOS over RR on a travel day, but that's just me. I think the key really is how you and your family handle traveling and what you're up for once you get there...which you may not know until that day! :earsboy:

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!