First Post! (be gentle) Teachers Best Times to Visit

I am sure there are multiple discussions about this but I figured I would ask anyway since I am a newbie.

We just returned from this years trip to Disney World, not a normal week for us to visit as my wife is a teacher and is normally in school by now. But this year she was on maternity leave so we took our little one before she goes back to work and were not disappointed at all with the small crowds that the calendars have suggested this week would have (although the heat was another story).

My question is though, we normally go either the last week in August, when a lot of southern schools have already begun classes (we live in NY) or we take a quick trip during Rosh Hoshannah since she gets 2 days off for that and recently it has been a mon/tues or thurs/fri, which gives us a nice 4 day weekend. However, we have always wanted to visit at different times of year (flower festival, mickey's Christmas, etc.) and now that we have our first child we definitely want to change up the times of year we go to explore more things.

The issue is that we can only go during school breaks, since my wife cannot take off days from work other than the ones the school is officially closed for (except for 2 personal days) and I am fearful that those times are obviously the busiest. I looked at the crowd calendars and to my surprise it seems that the February break she gets for presidents day/week looks wayyy more busy that the week off she gets for easter. My question is, is that normal? Do a lot of schools not have off a week in April for Easter (when it falls in April)? Is that the best time to go during the school year for someone with that teachers schedule? I know not all school districts are the same but any help would be appreciated.

Also, I know that those 2 weeks off wont get us to see any Christmas related stuff, so I guess my second question is how crazy is it really that week between Christmas and new years? Is it something that you should do at least once? Or is it just too much?

Thanks! And sorry if I am doing something wrong with this post, its my first day :)

Chiming in to say that here in our district in PA, our spring break is in early February, but also coincides with the break for the local college that is in the town (we live in a college town so there is a push for faculty and their kids to have break at the same time)...

We have gone the first week of January, which I would say is comparable to the week between Christmas and New Years...especially since this past year it was also the week leading up to Marathon weekend. It was busy, but not at all terrible...just have to expect crowds and have a plan. Having said that the weather was really terrible - living up north we were hoping for a little reprieve from the cold and it was lows in the 30's highs in the 40's most of the week...jumping into the 50's a few times and also we had a lot of rain. When does school get out for her district in June? If it's earlier June, I would say plan a trip right after school ends. The earlier part of the summer is not quite as hot and not quite as busy these last few years. That is when I would go if my busy time at work wasn't the summer!

Chiming in to say that here in our district in PA, our spring break is in early February, but also coincides with the break for the local college that is in the town (we live in a college town so there is a push for faculty and their kids to have break at the same time)...

We have gone the first week of January, which I would say is comparable to the week between Christmas and New Years...especially since this past year it was also the week leading up to Marathon weekend. It was busy, but not at all terrible...just have to expect crowds and have a plan. Having said that the weather was really terrible - living up north we were hoping for a little reprieve from the cold and it was lows in the 30's highs in the 40's most of the week...jumping into the 50's a few times and also we had a lot of rain. When does school get out for her district in June? If it's earlier June, I would say plan a trip right after school ends. The earlier part of the summer is not quite as hot and not quite as busy these last few years. That is when I would go if my busy time at work wasn't the summer!

Her last day this year is 6/26 and is usually around then :(

I definitely think we will keep doing the last week of august, but maybe only every couple of years, sprinkling in some 3/4 day weekends or "busy" school breaks in between. Like you mentioned (as others have too) having a good plan and knowing what to expect will be our best plan of attack. Even that last week in August now is a bit busier than it used to be just 3 or 4 years ago. There just seems to be less and less slow times at the parks, and with all the new stuff coming and the 50th, I can't image that getting better. I think I would rather take my chances on some traditional busy times so that we can experience the park at different times a year for different events and non-95 degree weather. And if we find out that its too much for us, then I guess we can go back to our trusty end of August (or find my wife a new job haha).

Quick follow up to everyone though that I just though of, are those spring/easter/xmas weeks much more expensive resort wise? Are they exempt from room discounts? I am an AP if that helps to answer me.

I am sure there are multiple discussions about this but I figured I would ask anyway since I am a newbie.

We just returned from this years trip to Disney World, not a normal week for us to visit as my wife is a teacher and is normally in school by now. But this year she was on maternity leave so we took our little one before she goes back to work and were not disappointed at all with the small crowds that the calendars have suggested this week would have (although the heat was another story).

My question is though, we normally go either the last week in August, when a lot of southern schools have already begun classes (we live in NY) or we take a quick trip during Rosh Hoshannah since she gets 2 days off for that and recently it has been a mon/tues or thurs/fri, which gives us a nice 4 day weekend. However, we have always wanted to visit at different times of year (flower festival, mickey's Christmas, etc.) and now that we have our first child we definitely want to change up the times of year we go to explore more things.

The issue is that we can only go during school breaks, since my wife cannot take off days from work other than the ones the school is officially closed for (except for 2 personal days) and I am fearful that those times are obviously the busiest. I looked at the crowd calendars and to my surprise it seems that the February break she gets for presidents day/week looks wayyy more busy that the week off she gets for easter. My question is, is that normal? Do a lot of schools not have off a week in April for Easter (when it falls in April)? Is that the best time to go during the school year for someone with that teachers schedule? I know not all school districts are the same but any help would be appreciated.

Also, I know that those 2 weeks off wont get us to see any Christmas related stuff, so I guess my second question is how crazy is it really that week between Christmas and new years? Is it something that you should do at least once? Or is it just too much?

Thanks! And sorry if I am doing something wrong with this post, its my first day :)
Greetings! Fellow teacher here with the same issue. I had a semester off when I was not teaching and I was able to go during the "off" time of March 1, and I can tell you it was MORE packed than it was this summer! Great weather--but honestly, there is no "slow" time to go to Disney any longer! Just go when you can and enjoy. We love Spring break. The weather is awesome, you get the flower festival and we just go back to the resort rooms in the afternoons. Make sure you do ADR, tour early and late, and use those Fast Passes! I've never been over Christmas, but have been there Jan 1-5 one time (its also Marathon week so pretty busy) and it was certainly doable then as well. I no longer worry too much about the crowds. I do think it may be beyond nuts next Christmas after SWGE opens though:-)....or at least Hollywood will be!

We travel whenever school is out. Not because of being a teacher but because we don’t take out child out of school for vacations. We’ve always gone to WDW for Easter. Year after year it gets hotter & more crowded. This past year was insane. I’ve overheard so many guests talking about the heat & crowds like never before. We’ve also been there for Christmas which is also crazy but I like the weather better. Anytime school is out, it’s going to be crowded. But like one other poster said, it seems like down time at Disney is getting less & less. And it’s only going to get worse once Star Wars Land opens. I moved to GA 2 years ago. First year our school break was week before Easter & the rest have fallen with Easter week.

Have you any October/Fall break? I work on a school bus (TN) and we are going for our break mid-month.

When Rosh Hashannah falls next to a weekend, she gets those 2 days off and we can make a nice 4 day weekend out of it. Other than that, she only gets the Weds - Fri for Thanksgiving and Columbus Day itself. We definitely enjoy it there in the late summer/early fall, but are looking forward to exploring new times (and temperatures haha).

WELCOME!!!!!
:welcome:

We have a teacher and students in my family. We r on Long Island, BTW.

I HATE having a teacher in the family (Disney-wise)....we travel when it's crowded and pay far more than I would have to otherwise.

We traveled week before Labor Day....crowds were large but manageable. but it was HOTTTTTTTTTTTT!

We r going this coming Pres Week (Feb 2019) and I expect crowds but not as much heat.....there is much to be said for that.

Last 2 DCL trips we paid TRIPLE (nearly) what we would have paid just 2 weeks later.

If I wasn't such a sucker for the Grandkids, I might be rich! Or, at least, slightly richer..

Anyhow, good luck with that teacher stuff.

WELCOME!!!!!
:welcome:

We have a teacher and students in my family. We r on Long Island, BTW.

I HATE having a teacher in the family (Disney-wise)....we travel when it's crowded and pay far more than I would have to otherwise.

We traveled week before Labor Day....crowds were large but manageable. but it was HOTTTTTTTTTTTT!

We r going this coming Pres Week (Feb 2019) and I expect crowds but not as much heat.....there is much to be said for that.

Last 2 DCL trips we paid TRIPLE (nearly) what we would have paid just 2 weeks later.

If I wasn't such a sucker for the Grandkids, I might be rich! Or, at least, slightly richer..

Anyhow, good luck with that teacher stuff.

I am 100% interested in how it goes February, since we are in LI too, and we would probably have a similar school schedule. I will keep an eye out for your JB post :)

I’m in the school system. We used to have a week break in October. I know weird. Bit it was awesome cause we always went for Halloween and food wine. It’s gone now hit my kids are also in grade school so we r in the holiday summer only trip mode. This year thanksgiving and June. The past few times thanksgiving was not that bad but either have June trips but I think Those says r over too cause this June was nutty!

Quick follow up to everyone though that I just though of, are those spring/easter/xmas weeks much more expensive resort wise? Are they exempt from room discounts? I am an AP if that helps to answer me.

Can be exempt from some discounts and it is peak pricing. Not sure on AP discounts though. Free dining isn't typically offered to the public during these times, but the current bounce-back offer does run through 12/24 which means you'd have to check in on or before 12/24 to get free dining for your trip. Doesn't really help you if you aren't going before then, but sometimes it can be indicative of future general public promotions. April does usually offer some room discounts.

It looks like you might have already decided, but I am also in NY and we always go President's week. The weather is almost always gorgeous - 70s to low 80s, little rain or humidity. One year it was a little chilly but we wore jackets and it was fine. The crowds are high, but it's not terrible, especially if you plan early and get good FPs. The later in the week you go the better because most schools get President's Day so that's a holiday weekend for many. I personally just can't do the August heat but if your family doesn't mind then go for it.

My husband and I were teachers for 40 years. During those years our favorite time to go was the first of June. Now that we are retired, we go late November and early April.

It looks like you might have already decided, but I am also in NY and we always go President's week. The weather is almost always gorgeous - 70s to low 80s, little rain or humidity. One year it was a little chilly but we wore jackets and it was fine. The crowds are high, but it's not terrible, especially if you plan early and get good FPs. The later in the week you go the better because most schools get President's Day so that's a holiday weekend for many. I personally just can't do the August heat but if your family doesn't mind then go for it.

We will probably end up trying a bunch of different trip dates the next few years to be honest after this discussion (Feb Break, Easter Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas) as you have all convinced me that with good planning the crowds can be managed (and "slow" season is getting smaller). Especially since the the weather in Aug/Sept is brutal, and we want to experience the parks at different times for different events. I will post updates after each one :)

We will probably end up trying a bunch of different trip dates the next few years to be honest after this discussion (Feb Break, Easter Break, Thanksgiving, Christmas) as you have all convinced me that with good planning the crowds can be managed (and "slow" season is getting smaller). Especially since the the weather in Aug/Sept is brutal, and we want to experience the parks at different times for different events. I will post updates after each one :)

Love it when there's an excuse to keep going back! Enjoy!:)

Welcome to the DISboards! :)

Not a teacher but I have 2 kids (one now in high school, one in college) but we've been taking the oldest since he was 2 years old). Some of it depends on how often you can go but I've found that if I'm going at least once a year that I do just fine going during spring break or other busy times because I don't have to see or do everything on that trip cause I know I'll go back another time. I've also gone Spring break so many times now that I'm used to how it's going to be and I try to plan to see as much "non-headliner" stuff as possible - and make good use of fast passes, etc. As time goes on, I've also found I really really enjoy more frequent but shorter trips - like 3/4 nights. This works great for going down for MNSSHP or MVMCP - Food and Wine, etc. Since you're in NY you'd need to fly - and that gets expensive (especially if you have more kids). As the kids got to be teenagers it was nice to sleep in and stay in the parks really late - which is great for spring break and busy times when the park is open very, very late.

Of course the summer works great too - nothing wrong with a longer summer trip and maybe a short (3 night?) trip another time of year to catch something special like a party or special event at Epcot.

I am 100% interested in how it goes February, since we are in LI too, and we would probably have a similar school schedule. I will keep an eye out for your JB post :)

I doubt I will be posting a JB post....UNLESS something noteworthy occurs (euphemism for annoying).....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter