First Post! (be gentle) Teachers Best Times to Visit

As a teacher, the only times that I can go are the traditionally busy breaks. With a plan, they work really well and I learned the joys of going back to the resort and relaxing v. Trying to do everything.
I do think that someday my schedule might change. I was talking with my principal the other day and he mentioned that our district was discussing year round school, which would spread the breaks out. I immediately thought how much better it would be for planning Disney trips!

I am sure there are multiple discussions about this but I figured I would ask anyway since I am a newbie.

We just returned from this years trip to Disney World, not a normal week for us to visit as my wife is a teacher and is normally in school by now. But this year she was on maternity leave so we took our little one before she goes back to work and were not disappointed at all with the small crowds that the calendars have suggested this week would have (although the heat was another story).

My question is though, we normally go either the last week in August, when a lot of southern schools have already begun classes (we live in NY) or we take a quick trip during Rosh Hoshannah since she gets 2 days off for that and recently it has been a mon/tues or thurs/fri, which gives us a nice 4 day weekend. However, we have always wanted to visit at different times of year (flower festival, mickey's Christmas, etc.) and now that we have our first child we definitely want to change up the times of year we go to explore more things.

The issue is that we can only go during school breaks, since my wife cannot take off days from work other than the ones the school is officially closed for (except for 2 personal days) and I am fearful that those times are obviously the busiest. I looked at the crowd calendars and to my surprise it seems that the February break she gets for presidents day/week looks wayyy more busy that the week off she gets for easter. My question is, is that normal? Do a lot of schools not have off a week in April for Easter (when it falls in April)? Is that the best time to go during the school year for someone with that teachers schedule? I know not all school districts are the same but any help would be appreciated.

Also, I know that those 2 weeks off wont get us to see any Christmas related stuff, so I guess my second question is how crazy is it really that week between Christmas and new years? Is it something that you should do at least once? Or is it just too much?

Thanks! And sorry if I am doing something wrong with this post, its my first day :)
Crowds in mid-to-late July have been low to moderate in recent years. Resort prices are relatively low, too. That's a good time to visit.

We want to go in August of 2021 for our twin’s 10th birthday. There birthday is in early August, but I was thinking of going later in August in hopes of going to MNSSHP. Is there a significant difference in crowd size between early and late August?

Welcome to the Dis, lots of good advice on here!

As far as February: Yes, it is incredibly busy at times. I know because we booked last week of Feb and first of March last year. I planned it to be at the end of Foreign tour groups vacation time, after the Princess half marathon, and after President's Day. It was confusing to navigate, but I thought I'd planned well. However, we went the week after the Princess half marathon, and it was busy because of that, but still doable.
I'd suggest looking at the various reports regarding March visits. Good luck

I teach high school in RI and always enjoy going to Disney during April school vacation which tends to be the third week of April or so. It is always nice weather wise and the crowds are manageable plus it's Flower and Garden time!

We are going during Christmas week this year and our goal is to just take all of the Christmas festivities in. We can always do rides and such on another time.

I also work in a school and cannot take time off during the school year. We like to go as soon as school is out, which for us is the Friday before Memorial Day, although this year we had to push it back another week and go the first week of June. Crowds were manageable. I would like to go in late August, but we are back in school by then.

We have done Thanksgiving week as well, but it has been several years (before I worked at the school).

When Rosh Hashannah falls next to a weekend, she gets those 2 days off and we can make a nice 4 day weekend out of it. Other than that, she only gets the Weds - Fri for Thanksgiving and Columbus Day itself. We definitely enjoy it there in the late summer/early fall, but are looking forward to exploring new times (and temperatures haha).

Are you Jewish or does your wife teach at a school in a Jewish community? You've mentioned having Rosh Hashanah off twice. Is that given to her or does she have to ask for the days off? That's the faith I observe myself so I'm just curious to hear your story. :chat:

:welcome:

Imho, the week between Christmas and New Year's is a great time to go.
Bear in mind you need to be VERY organized, have your list of ADRs ready right at the 180+10. BUT, there is so much offered and parks are open early/late to accommodate the crowds. And the weather is usually fabulous!
If affordable, stay at one if the monorail resorts or WL for easier transportation with your little. (My fav with a little person being CR, you can easily walk back and forth to MK).
And I always add in here, a good TA can and will make all the difference in the world. You give them your list and they are able to get your ADRs and FPs for you. It certainly makes my life a whole lot easier.
I am a "retired" RN, who now works in education.... So even though we no longer have children, it's now my schedule. So we are also limited to those busy times. But, Christmas at WDW is amazing, and it may be worth it to chose CR or the Poly just to avoid the crazy fireworks crowd and not actually be in the crowd.
There are so many tricks and ways to make your visit easier for your family, even during the most crowded times.
You've come to the right place to ask these questions. You'll find so much good info from really knowledgeable people! :disrocks:

Spring break for certain states/schools doesn't always fall on Easter. Much like fall break it varies from school district to school district. I imagine days like Presidents' Day are more of a result of locals filling the parks as not every school gets that day off.

Are you Jewish or does your wife teach at a school in a Jewish community? You've mentioned having Rosh Hashanah off twice. Is that given to her or does she have to ask for the days off? That's the faith I observe myself so I'm just curious to hear your story. :chat:

In NY and Long Island (not sure about upstaters) we get Jewish Holidays off on the school schedule.............

We have a lovely Midwinter Break in February. It's the whole week of Presidents Day. We've headed to Orlando the last two years, and will be back again this year. I just can't deal with the summer heat, and my daughter's spring break and mine don't always line up. It's not empty, by any means, but we've been able to accomplish what we wanted to do without too much trouble.

I wish we had a mid-winter break. February is when I need to get out of the midwest. Our spring break is in April, and by then either the weather has turned or you can at least see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Not a teacher, but once dd hit middle school, we had the same schedule.

To answer one of your questions: yes, you do need to experience Christmas once. It's crazy busy, but Disney is amazingly effective at managing large crowds of people when they choose. (We watched the NYE fireworks at Studios, and were in bed at an All Stars by 1am. We watched the MK fireworks the night before for the preview.) My personal preference for Christmas time is before the holiday, but I really thought that Disney managed the crowds better after.

We loved late August - until this year, our first time in 6 years, when it was way more hot and way more crowded than in the past. APs are the way to go. Lots of short trips if you can find a decent airfare. I like a short trip if I don't expect to do everything. And I like a long trip because I can relax and savor the trip. We did a long weekend in January - it was a blast, but the weather is unpredictable. And the hottest I've ever been in Disney was on an early May trip, although a May weekend was lovely.

Good luck. We have so many great memories of our trips.

My wife and I are both teachers - different districts - different break time. And our son is in a third district, different break time...

We have done several spring breaks (week after Easter) and had a great time. Will continue with this option.
We have done Christmas time - had a great time - way to busy - never again.
Also have done mid June - and had a great time.

Neither of us have personal time to use outside of usual days off of school.

My advice is choose what works for your family - no matter when you go, overall, WDW is busy.
Christmas time - way to crazy though - don't do it.

Be sure to plan ahead, and go with the flow (slow flow of the lines).
And enjoy everything outside of those waiting in line moments - it can off set the waits.

You're facing the same issues we have for years. I have total flexibility, but DW teaches, which really limits when we've been able to go. In addition to the school schedule, she doesn't like to go at Thanksgiving, Christmas or Easter due to not wanting to leave family.

Our longer trips have been in mid to late August. Since we're in the northeast, school usually doesn't start until after Labor Day, but she likes to be back a week or so prior for classroom prep. Many of the southern and Florida schools seem to start around the middle of August, so the later you can go in August, the better. We had a nice trip this August 15-20; not much rain, crowds weren't too bad and it the humidity wasn't as bad as I would have expected (it was plenty hot though).

We also sometimes go for a weekend during September when one of the Jewish holidays gets near a weekend and she takes a personal day. For example, we've done a fly down after school on a Wednesday when one of the holidays lands on a Thursday or Friday, then last flight back home Sunday. Nice thing about the September trips is its during Food and Wine at Epcot.

I know some schools get a "spring break" week. Ours does not. If the break week is not tied to Easter, its not a terrible time to go. Crowded somewhat as break weeks seem to be spread out March and April (college break weeks tend to be the first half of March), but not impossible.

Years ago we did a couple long Easter weekends, bringing the family along. While you can do then, I wouldn't necessarily recommend that period for a "newbie", as the crowds can really peak. Not saying it can't be done, but if you do, be really familiar with how to set up FP's, etc. There will be a lot of people there.

Squeeze it in if you can. Just remember, going anytime is better than not.

Dan Murphy, have you been following the thread? There was discussion of the days teachers are off from work....don't be so froggy and refrain from jumping right away.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter