First RIV resale contract sold for?

You are assuming others are willing to pay $50pp. ;-)
Are you really saying that you think others on the resale market wouldn't pay $50/pt for a brand new DVC resort? Now I think you might be being disagreeable to be disagreeable.

lol $50/pp for 50 years at Riviera? Even if you weren't going to stay there that that price would be an absolute no brainer just from a renting perspective.

Are you really saying that you think others on the resale market wouldn't pay $50/pt for a brand new DVC resort? Now I think you might be being disagreeable to be disagreeable.
I did put a {wink} on my post. I was ribbing a bit.

FWIW, I’m riding Frontier Communications (FTR) all the way to the ground. I bought in just after they purchased the FIOS network and subscription base from Verizon. I thought they’d do well ... I was wrong. I had no way of knowing they failed to purchase the management software to support their operations. Wowza. What a surprise.

I wouldn’t want to be the first purchase of resale Riv even at $50 unless it were a guaranteed fixed week. Too much future hassle for me w/out knowing how the market feels and how difficult it will be to book reservations close to the 7-month window.

lol $50/pp for 50 years at Riviera? Even if you weren't going to stay there that that price would be an absolute no brainer just from a renting perspective.
Time will tell, but I fear with the restrictions it may even be tough rental product to have. Too many renters do not understand the process. They think you can book studios at 3 months for fall trips. I laugh every time I see the requests on the rent/trade board. "Can you check the availability of a value studio at AKL in 2 months". With the points not being movable and renters really wanting studios, it may be tough to be able to find availability to match the renters wants/needs. They won't understand that you need to book studios by 10 months. The will just resort to rooms through the CRO. The rental market may be alot of reservations for rent, not points for rent.

But resale Riv is a new beast given the specific resale restriction limiting use to either Riv or RCI. For many, that is a crippling restriction that validates a significant drop in value.
$100.00 per point for RIV is going to be looking like the high end if we hit a recession, that is if we are not already in one since it takes like 6 months of being in one before it is official. Does anyone remember if the resale’s from the 2008 recession prices dropped significantly.

$100.00 per point for RIV is going to be looking like the high end if we hit a recession, that is if we are not already in one since it takes like 6 months of being in one before it is official. Does anyone remember if the resale’s from the 2008 recession prices dropped significantly.
Prices dropped significantly, and Disney rarely exercised ROFR. They had no buyers for the points, so they let them pass.

Time will tell, but I fear with the restrictions it may even be tough rental product to have.
I'm willing to wager that most 7 month rentals are SSR/OKW points. The restrictions have no effect on the rental market if availability is scarce at 7 months. But the risk is we don't know if that will be the case. Judging on how the place looks, my guess is it's jam packed all year.

I'm willing to wager that most 7 month rentals are SSR/OKW points. The restrictions have no effect on the rental market if availability is scarce at 7 months. But the risk is we don't know if that will be the case. Judging on how the place looks, my guess is it's jam packed all year.
But without the restrictions, you could still rent at SSR or OKW or 1BR at AKV or BWV inside of 7 months for less $. With the restrictions, once availability at RR is gone, you have not points you can rent.

But without the restrictions, you could still rent at SSR or OKW or 1BR at AKV or BWV inside of 7 months for less $. With the restrictions, once availability at RR is gone, you have not points you can rent.
I see what you mean. Still some work around with banking. But as I said, if it is a hit as say BCV, that should almost never be an issue.

And what happens when there are many resalers & DVC changes the booking window for DRR - 11 months direct, 9 months resale, 7 month trade in. & now you can’t get a studio in the fall and don’t have enough points for another season? I’m serious here. Better off with a traditional fixed week timeshare off property.

Show me a point chart where you can buy that isn't thousands. If you are buying into DVC its thousands.
I’d have more flexibility going with another timeshare I could pick up for pennies. I could even trade into a 1 bd at SSR quite often it would seem & still stay on property.

And what happens when there are many resalers & DVC changes the booking window for DRR - 11 months direct, 9 months resale, 7 month trade in. & now you can’t get a studio in the fall and don’t have enough points for another season? I’m serious here. Better off with a traditional fixed week timeshare off property.
Sure it's possible I guess but they still have yet to impose a single restriction retroactively. But fair point, it is a bit of a volatile situation with all resale contracts right now.

Prices dropped significantly, and Disney rarely exercised ROFR. They had no buyers for the points, so they let them pass.
Yes, they dropped significantly, I was watching, but was putting my son through college and dealing w/ a recession driven 5% temporary salary cut while still fully funding my retirement @ the time, so was not really in the market, thus I didn’t buy then.
I suspect that another reason for ROFR rarely being exercised during the last down turn was that DVC had a lot of inventory from foreclosures & deed in lieu of foreclosures & of course direct sales slowed as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter