First run at Castaway Cay?

SL6827

DIS Veteran
Well if we get to go on our Dream cruise next year, and that is a BIG if, the first Disney run I will do will be at Castaway Cay. Good place to start?

Well if we get to go on our Dream cruise next year, and that is a BIG if, the first Disney run I will do will be at Castaway Cay. Good place to start?

The Castaway Cay 5k can be a fun break as part of the cruise, but it is in no way comparable to a RunDisney race.

I would do a couple of 5Ks here at home before that though. I mean 5K are not really races, just a run I would say, right?

I would do a couple of 5Ks here at home before that though. I mean 5K are not really races, just a run I would say, right?

At least in NYC most of the 5Ks are really races. But you can certainly participate just to participate when you know you have no chance of winning.

The one on Castaway is just a fun run. Timing - and even completing the second loop - is on your honor. And unless you're doing it as part of the Challenge after a race weekend (that one has a fee and requires participating in the weekend at WDW) it's not even a true 3.1 miles. It's always been in the 2.8ish range when I've done it.

5k can be anywhere from a walk in the park to an olympic event... It all depends on what you are aiming for in terms of pace. At Castaway Cay, probably more the former for the vast majority of people. If you are new to running, maybe consider starting a Couch to 5k program (C25k) eight weeks before your cruise. Enjoy!

At least in NYC most of the 5Ks are really races. But you can certainly participate just to participate when you know you have no chance of winning.

The one on Castaway is just a fun run. Timing - and even completing the second loop - is on your honor. And unless you're doing it as part of the Challenge after a race weekend (that one has a fee and requires participating in the weekend at WDW) it's not even a true 3.1 miles. It's always been in the 2.8ish range when I've done it.
Ugghhh, not the whole 3.1? Well that kinda sucks, lol.

Well, if you count walking over to the start, it's more. But yeah, it was never billed as an official race. (TBH many of the charity runs like Race for the Cure that I've done - at least in NYC - have been short too.) No timing mats or anything - there is a timing clock, but like I said, you're on your honor.

Be aware it gets HOT. I've had friends from places like Georgia and Florida bail because it's just a different kind of hot and humid.

Um...of course it can be a race. Not sure where the idea that a short distance isn’t one. The shorter distances at a track and field event are certain races.

Fhat said, few run all out (or they are all starting before me). It's really really hot there usually. And it’s on asphalt so you feel like you’re being baked in a convention oven.

I don’t agree. It’s a free run and you get a cute medal. For a free run. To add the extra bit for the paid run after marathon weekend they have to go into different spots AND get off the ship when it’s still dark so they don’t run into people trying to start their days.

Ok, ya I guess any distance could be a race. I see that in my dogs when we throw out a new toy into the yard and such. Good point. See how much I know about running, lol.

Good luck, enjoy and have fun. Don’t worry about the heat and humidity because you can’t change that. All you can do is prepare, hydrate and adjust your pace. Since you will be training just ease the pace a little and you should be fine.

You can do your best to make it a full 5k by not doing the turn around at Serenity Bay too early. When I run it I usually go past the turn around marker (assuming it is not correct) and my GPS watch ends up pretty close to 3.1 but not exact.

It has been a few years since I did it and i agree it is fairly informal and certainly warm... but I found it a nice change of pace from the Gym and the promenade deck after 10 days on board, and it is short enough to do and still enjoy your full day on the Island..... and also you can justify a second trip to the desert buffet on board 😂

Ya, the heat thing has me actually 2nd guessing this. If my possible cruise was in like February I wouldn't be too concerned. But in the middle of May. Hmmmmmm.

Ya, the heat thing has me actually 2nd guessing this. If my possible cruise was in like February I wouldn't be too concerned. But in the middle of May. Hmmmmmm.

The thing is, it's just for fun. No official timing. (And Feb isn't necessarily better - I did it in July and in Feb and both were hot.)

And that medal is so cool. I would love to have that.

I need to do another Disney cruise to do it for the medal. Back when I did it, you just got that generic plastic Mickey Head. (I mean, obviously it's not the ONLY reason I would do another Disney cruise. Ha!!)

This was such a fun event - we did a double dip and if I’d been in better condition (I wasn’t a big runner at the time) I would have done it twice (and it actually was offered twice but that isn’t always the case with every double dip). I would have done a totally fun walk/run with the kids and one by myself. The course is flat and easy, and there is a small portion where you run on the airway tarmac so that was warm on that surface. We ran late June and yes, it was humid but was still early enough it wasn’t miserable. The medal was amazing and completely worth it!! Goofy in running gear at the start activities was a fun bonus, and you can take littles to Scuttles Cove. Overall great experience and we scored good chairs since we were there early, too ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!