• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First runDisney race - DLP half

Disneyqueendenmark

Mouseketeer
Hi,

My best friend and I will be attending the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon in September. We have never attended a runDisney event so we are REALLY EXCITED!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to train as much as I had planned for due to some health issues. So instead of a goal to RUN the half marathon, our goal is now to FINISH it. We're planning on doing intervals with running and walking. I have a few questions and would be so happy if any of you could answer them.

1) We have noted 3 hours as our expected finish time. Does that put us in the last corral? Or do we have some time before the 16 min/mile starts?

2) I've read that runDisney races are very walker friendly, is this true? Are there many walkers and people who switch between running and walking?
I have just attended a 10k race a few months ago and the race wasn't very walker friendly. I had a really bad experience, since it seemed that running the 10k straight was a must. There weren't anyone to guide me in the right direction or any water stops, since I was very slow compared to the runners. So I'm afraid that since my friend and I will be slow, we will miss a lot and not feel "welcome".

3) Any good advice to what intervals to prepare for? We've talked about 10 min walking and then 10 minutes running, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for that. My plan is to interval train two time a week and then walk/run a longer distance once a week (starting with 10k and up to 21). And then two days a week with cross training.

4) Do we have to run over the start line? Is it a must to begin with running or can we start with walking?

Thank you!

- Rebekka :)

Hi,

My best friend and I will be attending the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon in September. We have never attended a runDisney event so we are REALLY EXCITED!

Unfortunately I haven't been able to train as much as I had planned for due to some health issues. So instead of a goal to RUN the half marathon, our goal is now to FINISH it. We're planning on doing intervals with running and walking. I have a few questions and would be so happy if any of you could answer them.
:wave: Sorry to hear you've been having health issues!
1) We have noted 3 hours as our expected finish time. Does that put us in the last corral? Or do we have some time before the 16 min/mile starts?
I would think near the last corral, yes. I'd suggest getting to the starting area early and getting as close to the front of your corral as possible to give yourself some cushion.
2) I've read that runDisney races are very walker friendly, is this true? Are there many walkers and people who switch between running and walking?
I have just attended a 10k race a few months ago and the race wasn't very walker friendly. I had a really bad experience, since it seemed that running the 10k straight was a must. There weren't anyone to guide me in the right direction or any water stops, since I was very slow compared to the runners. So I'm afraid that since my friend and I will be slow, we will miss a lot and not feel "welcome".
Since this is the first Disney race in Paris, it's hard to say EXACTLY what it'll be like. But speaking as someone who has done races in Florida and California, yes, those races are very walker friendly. Some people run the races, some run/walk, some walk the entire thing. And they're very good with the water stops. I would hope it would be similar in Paris, but again, it's hard to say since it's the first one.
3) Any good advice to what intervals to prepare for? We've talked about 10 min walking and then 10 minutes running, but I'm not sure I'll be ready for that. My plan is to interval train two time a week and then walk/run a longer distance once a week (starting with 10k and up to 21). And then two days a week with cross training.
Since you still have a few weeks, I'd play around with the intervals to see what works best for you. But I do think that what you're proposing may be a little too long and you may want to think about trying shorter intervals - maybe walking 1:00 and then running 1:00 or something like that. Since you say your training hasn't been as much as you would have liked, I feel like it may be tough to run for 10 minutes straight and it may be easier on your body to have your breaks more frequently.

This may give you a place to start to play around...Galloway's Magic Mile: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/
4) Do we have to run over the start line? Is it a must to begin with running or can we start with walking?

Thank you!

- Rebekka :)
I'd start out running. Everyone else around you will likely be running at the start, so you don't want to get run over or run into! :eek: After the start it should spread out a bit more and it'll be easier to settle into your intervals.

Other thoughts...when doing your intervals, put up a hand to signify to those around you that you're about to start walking/running again. Look around you before you change over to see if anyone is around you before you make the change so that you don't get run into! When you're walking, try to get over to the side of the course - again, look around before moving to the side so you don't collide with anyone! And if you have a watch or an app that you can use to set up your intervals, that may be helpful to practice with as well so that you have it all ready to go for the race.

Good luck!! :)

This is going to sound harsh, but please understand that's not the way I want it to come across - you're the only one that truly knows your fitness level and what you physically can do.

But I think a 10-minute/10-minute interval is unrealistic unless you've been training previously and are already close to that interval time. And while, yes, technically it's an "interval" - it's not quite the interval that the Galloway program encourages.

Personally, I would shoot for a :60/:30 interval and try to push to a :90/:30 by the race.

I agree with the good advice from @Ariel484 and @Keels . If you haven't already, be sure and check out Jeff Galloway's website. He's pretty much the guru out there on run/walk intervals. He definitely is a proponent of shorter intervals and I think you'd find that once you try them and adapt to them, they can really work well. I always encourage people to play with their intervals. Try various training runs at a variety of intervals - although using the "magic mile" as a preliminary predictor of a good interval is a great idea. I absolutely believe there is a sweet spot for many runners where the interval is the best one for pace and for how you feel while running.

Thank you so so much for your advice!!! I really appreciate it :D

I think you're all right about the 10/10 interval. I was also thinking it was a bit too long, but on the other hand I have found very short intervals kind of stressfull. Right now I'm doing intervals like walking 4 minutes and then running 4 minutes (I started out running 2). I have also done walk 2 run 1 and I actually found that to be okay. I think I'll start playing around and see what works best for me and then get some longer runs. I just REALLY want to get to the finish line!
I'll check out Jeff Galloway's website out right away!

Once again, thank you for replying. If I come up with more questions I'll godhead and ask again, hopes thats ok ;)

Thank you so so much for your advice!!! I really appreciate it :D

I think you're all right about the 10/10 interval. I was also thinking it was a bit too long, but on the other hand I have found very short intervals kind of stressfull. Right now I'm doing intervals like walking 4 minutes and then running 4 minutes (I started out running 2). I have also done walk 2 run 1 and I actually found that to be okay. I think I'll start playing around and see what works best for me and then get some longer runs. I just REALLY want to get to the finish line!
I'll check out Jeff Galloway's website out right away!

Once again, thank you for replying. If I come up with more questions I'll godhead and ask again, hopes thats ok ;)
This thread is a good resource too - the Disneyland Paris Half Marathon Weekend thread: http://disboards.com/threads/2016-disneyland-paris-half-marathon.3382516/

My only other piece of advice would be to really watch the length of your walk interval - it should be more of a "recovery"-type break than a leisurely walk. Shorter walk intervals tend to help me mentally - especially in races. Too long of a walk break and I start getting in my head thinking I'm falling way behind and then I go way too fast on my run intervals trying to catch up and my tempo, pacing and overall race is shot.

To me, I think the science of intervals is really to help you establish a tempo baseline so you can be consistent across the duration or a run, regardless of length. That's why there's no real answer we can give you for what might work best for you. Of the three gals I run with consistently (and myself), only one doesn't use intervals.
M prefers a :90/:30 - because she says she's in her head enough that she knows she can force herself to run as FAST as she possibly can for 90 seconds, and 30 seconds is enough time for her to breathe, reset and do it all over again. She's working towards moving out of intervals completely. Her half PR is 2:14.
S prefers prefers a 3:00/1:00, mostly because she's trying to stretch out her endurance.
I'm at a 2:00/1:00 right now, mostly because it's so hot and I don't want to die, but also because that's the Nike Pace Team interval for my Chicago Marathon goal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter