First solo trip... looking for planning advice

TyTigger

Earning My Ears
Hey! So I went to WDW in April with my mom and caught the bug.... I’ve got a solo trip planned for August 24th to 31st (the chaos... I know) staying at all star movies. I’m down to experience anything at least once pretty much, but definitely experience all the big ticket rides (ideally a couple of times) and I’m not sure what to prioritize. What’s it like getting a spot for fireworks/parades solo? MNSSHP is happening while I’m there and I’m one the fence about getting a ticket vs an after hours event. I can only do one and I’m not sure the merits of each as an adult going alone. I’m also really interested in how common Winnie the Pooh and friends are as characters in the parks? They’re my favourite I have to meet them but I’m not so sure about doing crystal palace. Last super random but does anyone know what the soda fountain at ASM has? I’m specifically wondering about cherry coke lol. Any tips/ advice is really appreciated! This trip is my first real treat to myself since getting my first “adult” job. Thank you guys in advance!

Just a few tips:

1. Take advantage of single rider lines for Expedition Everest, Test Track and Rock N Roller Coaster.

2. I've found it pretty easy to score a good spot for parades/fireworks when solo without staking out a spot hours ahead.

3. I did MNSSHP solo once and didn't really enjoy it (and this was before it became super-crowded). For a premium experience, an after hours event or one of the tours might be more rewarding. Keys to the Kingdom is great. Wild Africa Trek is fun, too, but it is about twice as expensive as it should be.

4. Definitely do Crystal Palace if Pooh & friends are tops on your list. Piglet and Eeyore may not be easy to find elsewhere. Pooh and Tigger have a dedicated meet & greet spot (sometimes with a long wait).

5. More and more resorts have Coke Freestyle machines, but I don't think ASM does yet and they may not have cherry coke in the regular dispenser (I think they added Coke Zero and took away cherry...but not sure).

6. Visiting solo really gives you a chance to notice the small details that make WDW so special...little things you may have overlooked when you're with others.

7. I like to do rope drop, then escape during the midday heat and crowds (hotel pool, Disney Springs, or resort hopping...maybe even a nap) and then head back in the late afternoon and stay until I get chased out. I especially like to ride FOP right before closing; sometimes it is practically a walk-on.

If I ever have the chance to do MNSSHP, I will do it for one reason: characters. I'm a Nightmare Before Christmas girl from when we saw the very first ads for it, and meeting Jack and Sally is at the top of my Disney Bucket List.

If you don't have a specific reason like that to do the party, I probably wouldn't.

Get a Crystal Palace breakfast! You have enough days, it won't ruin the trip to make time for a proper breakfast and some favorite characters one morning.

On the busy Friday night of Presidents weekend, I moved into an awesome spot dead center in front of the castle 2 min before HEA started. I could not have done that if I hadn’t been solo. The crowds were worst on the edges and I had to really force my way through, past strollers and people just stopping in the walkway on the edge of the Hub and I almost gave up getting close, then this really loud lady was talking on a phone trying to find her family who was in the thick of it, so I just followed behind her (she was kinda aggressive and people were parting the way for her). Once I got closer to the castle, there were huge gaps in the crowds and I easily found a spot without feeling like I was taking over someone else’s personal space. So I’d say be polite but confident in moving until you find an opening where you want. As a solo traveler, I wouldn’t camp out more than 10min unless you are exhausted and just want to sit with dessert or something like that.

Winnie and Tigger meet everyday outside the ride in MK, check the times guide when you travel for specific times. If you want to meet Eyorre and Piglet, then you’ll probably need to
do CP. You could also subscribe to character locator to see if they’ve recently been seen in epcot or elsewhere

Also I did DAH at MK solo. It was awesome, I hit almost every single ride that night so it freed up a lot of day hours the rest of my trip. If you are interested in pics with rare characters then MNSSHP may be your type, but if you want low wait times then I’d definitely choose DAH.

My trip was only 4 half days during a crowded holiday weekend, but I was able to hit all four parks and do a ton stuff. You can move so much faster and move through the crowd with ease when you are by yourself, yet there was still plenty of time for quiet moments, shopping, snacking and relaxing.

I made a bucket list of things I’d like to try and accomplish(shows, snacks, character meets, rides, etc) but no ADRs or set schedule so I could just refresh often, grab whatever FP, and change plans on a whim. Rooe drop and single rider lines were also helpful. Have an amazing trip!

Just a few tips:

1. Take advantage of single rider lines for Expedition Everest, Test Track and Rock N Roller Coaster.

2. I've found it pretty easy to score a good spot for parades/fireworks when solo without staking out a spot hours ahead.

3. I did MNSSHP solo once and didn't really enjoy it (and this was before it became super-crowded). For a premium experience, an after hours event or one of the tours might be more rewarding. Keys to the Kingdom is great. Wild Africa Trek is fun, too, but it is about twice as expensive as it should be.

4. Definitely do Crystal Palace if Pooh & friends are tops on your list. Piglet and Eeyore may not be easy to find elsewhere. Pooh and Tigger have a dedicated meet & greet spot (sometimes with a long wait).

5. More and more resorts have Coke Freestyle machines, but I don't think ASM does yet and they may not have cherry coke in the regular dispenser (I think they added Coke Zero and took away cherry...but not sure).

6. Visiting solo really gives you a chance to notice the small details that make WDW so special...little things you may have overlooked when you're with others.

7. I like to do rope drop, then escape during the midday heat and crowds (hotel pool, Disney Springs, or resort hopping...maybe even a nap) and then head back in the late afternoon and stay until I get chased out. I especially like to ride FOP right before closing; sometimes it is practically a walk-on.
Thanks for taking the time to respond! I’m definitely leaning towards doing an early morning magic event instead of MNSSHP. I can’t wait to take the time to experience the theming/detail I missed out on last time :)

If I ever have the chance to do MNSSHP, I will do it for one reason: characters. I'm a Nightmare Before Christmas girl from when we saw the very first ads for it, and meeting Jack and Sally is at the top of my Disney Bucket List.

If you don't have a specific reason like that to do the party, I probably wouldn't.

Get a Crystal Palace breakfast! You have enough days, it won't ruin the trip to make time for a proper breakfast and some favorite characters one morning.
I’m definitely gonna skip out on it I think. But I made a reservation for crystal palace this morning! Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

On the busy Friday night of Presidents weekend, I moved into an awesome spot dead center in front of the castle 2 min before HEA started. I could not have done that if I hadn’t been solo. The crowds were worst on the edges and I had to really force my way through, past strollers and people just stopping in the walkway on the edge of the Hub and I almost gave up getting close, then this really loud lady was talking on a phone trying to find her family who was in the thick of it, so I just followed behind her (she was kinda aggressive and people were parting the way for her). Once I got closer to the castle, there were huge gaps in the crowds and I easily found a spot without feeling like I was taking over someone else’s personal space. So I’d say be polite but confident in moving until you find an opening where you want. As a solo traveler, I wouldn’t camp out more than 10min unless you are exhausted and just want to sit with dessert or something like that.

Winnie and Tigger meet everyday outside the ride in MK, check the times guide when you travel for specific times. If you want to meet Eyorre and Piglet, then you’ll probably need to
do CP. You could also subscribe to character locator to see if they’ve recently been seen in epcot or elsewhere
I’m way less worried about getting a spot. With eight days and two at each park I think I might also grab a fast pass for nighttime shows *** we’ll just to play it safe. Thanks for replying!

Hey! So I went to WDW in April with my mom and caught the bug.... I’ve got a solo trip planned for August 24th to 31st (the chaos... I know) staying at all star movies. I’m down to experience anything at least once pretty much, but definitely experience all the big ticket rides (ideally a couple of times) and I’m not sure what to prioritize. What’s it like getting a spot for fireworks/parades solo? MNSSHP is happening while I’m there and I’m one the fence about getting a ticket vs an after hours event. I can only do one and I’m not sure the merits of each as an adult going alone. I’m also really interested in how common Winnie the Pooh and friends are as characters in the parks? They’re my favourite I have to meet them but I’m not so sure about doing crystal palace. Last super random but does anyone know what the soda fountain at ASM has? I’m specifically wondering about cherry coke lol. Any tips/ advice is really appreciated! This trip is my first real treat to myself since getting my first “adult” job. Thank you guys in advance!
That Is really cool how was your trip the first time? What things were you not able to do last time that you really want to do this time? I'm also going alone from August 25-sept 1 but I have never been so I'm still really lost as well

I'm a veteran of several solo trips. My advice is to. "Wing it." do not over plan. multi-park tickets are a must.

Only make advance reservations for dinner, and then only a few reservations for a few special places. Other dinners can be made on the fly. Use an app to search the area you find yourself in and make a res on the spot and walk in.

Lunch at quick service places in whatever land you find yourself in.

The great thing about solo trips, is the FREEDOM. Don't kill your fun by tying yourself to massive planning. Go where you will, hit several parks a day. Is the Magic Kingdom too busy? Head for Epcot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!