First Solo Trip to DL

MasaroPooh

Earning My Ears
I planning my first solo trip to the disneyland resort. Is there any new and different thing I should try to do. Also, is there any things I need to consider when going on an solo trip compared to going on trip with my family.

Thanks.

When did you last go? It's hard to say what's new without that.

I've done DL solo a few times. One great thing about that is Single Rider lines. DL has way more of them than WDW does. Space Mountain even has one now, but it's kinda hidden - go in through the exit. Combine this with MaxPass to have your run of the place!

Some things are a little more difficult for a solo though, like the Star Wars VR thing at DTD. I did it solo and they tagged me into a group of 3. I had fun, but it will depend on how comfortable you are with that. Actually, that's about the only real concern I can think of.

Have fun and :welcome: to the DIS!

Yes definitely take advantage of single rider lines!!

Also, one of the most fun parts about going solo is just being able to do whatever you want and follow your own whims! Always wanted to try a certain restaurant or bar but could never get the fam interested? Boom. Do it. Have an absolute favorite ride that you could do over and over and over again? Do it! Seriously, while I much prefer going with my DH, being solo at Disney parks is its own kind of fun :)

One thing I had to be hyper aware of as a solo traveler (and for me personally, a solo female) was walking to my off-site hotel at night. I would stay 'til close and I was at a hotel a couple blocks away and I walked. I never felt unsafe, but I always made sure to be near a group of people and at one point even asked a few other girls if I could walk with them since I was by myself. Of course, if you're staying onsite then this isn't as big of an issue!

Most of all, enjoy your solo time- it's such a special way to experience the parks :D

I've done DL solo a few times. One great thing about that is Single Rider lines. DL has way more of them than WDW does. Space Mountain even has one now, but it's kinda hidden - go in through the exit. Combine this with MaxPass to have your run of the place!

Some things are a little more difficult for a solo though, like the Star Wars VR thing at DTD. I did it solo and they tagged me into a group of 3. I had fun, but it will depend on how comfortable you are with that. Actually, that's about the only real concern I can think of.

My trip was in April and I plan to do my solo trip in March for the Food and Wine in DCA. I was always thing about trying Steakhouse 55 and Blue Bayou. Is there any Restaurants you recommend at the Parks.

Yes definitely take advantage of single rider lines!!

Also, one of the most fun parts about going solo is just being able to do whatever you want and follow your own whims! Always wanted to try a certain restaurant or bar but could never get the fam interested? Boom. Do it. Have an absolute favorite ride that you could do over and over and over again? Do it! Seriously, while I much prefer going with my DH, being solo at Disney parks is its own kind of fun :)

One thing I had to be hyper aware of as a solo traveler (and for me personally, a solo female) was walking to my off-site hotel at night. I would stay 'til close and I was at a hotel a couple blocks away and I walked. I never felt unsafe, but I always made sure to be near a group of people and at one point even asked a few other girls if I could walk with them since I was by myself. Of course, if you're staying onsite then this isn't as big of an issue!

Most of all, enjoy your solo time- it's such a special way to experience the parks :D

I was planning on going to restaurant or two. My choices are Blue Bayou and Steakhouse 55. Is there any places you would suggest. Have you heard anything good or bad about Spa at the Grand Californian and this would be my first experience going massage. My plan is to stay offsite and I will remember to try to stick with group when walking back to the hotel at night.

My trip was in April and I plan to do my solo trip in March for the Food and Wine in DCA. I was always thing about trying Steakhouse 55 and Blue Bayou. Is there any Restaurants you recommend at the Parks.

Well, I like Cafe Orleans and River Belle Terrace. If you are wanting to watch Fantasmic! the RBT dining package isn't a bad way to go. I did that on my last solo trip and it was great. Favorite counter service places are French Market and Pacific Wharf Cafe. The corn dogs at Little Red Wagon are always a nice treat too.

Also, just to add, the area is generally very safe, well lit, and always has groups of people walking to and from DLR. As long as you are in the immediate area I wouldn't worry too much.

I was planning on going to restaurant or two. My choices are Blue Bayou and Steakhouse 55. Is there any places you would suggest. Have you heard anything good or bad about Spa at the Grand Californian and this would be my first experience going massage. My plan is to stay offsite and I will remember to try to stick with group when walking back to the hotel at night.
Unfortunately I can't help you with those specific restaurants or the spa as I haven't been to any of them. I've heard great things about all of them, though!

When I've been to Disneyland it's usually been for very quick trips (2 days only!) so I haven't had much time to do nice table service dinners or experience any of the lovely extras.

My favorite quick bites are the corn dogs, chicken from the Plaza Inn, and the skewers from Bengal BBQ. I love Trader Sam's for a cocktail and snack as a nice late afternoon escape from the parks.

Well, I like Cafe Orleans and River Belle Terrace. If you are wanting to watch Fantasmic! the RBT dining package isn't a bad way to go. I did that on my last solo trip and it was great. Favorite counter service places are French Market and Pacific Wharf Cafe. The corn dogs at Little Red Wagon are always a nice treat too.

Also, just to add, the area is generally very safe, well lit, and always has groups of people walking to and from DLR. As long as you are in the immediate area I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks for the tips. I will keep them in mind when planning my trip.

Unfortunately I can't help you with those specific restaurants or the spa as I haven't been to any of them. I've heard great things about all of them, though!

When I've been to Disneyland it's usually been for very quick trips (2 days only!) so I haven't had much time to do nice table service dinners or experience any of the lovely extras.

My favorite quick bites are the corn dogs, chicken from the Plaza Inn, and the skewers from Bengal BBQ. I love Trader Sam's for a cocktail and snack as a nice late afternoon escape from the parks.

Usually do alot of quick service when I going with family and I love skewers and corn dogs. This trip I want to try as much new things that I can. I will keep your suggestions in mind when planning for this trips. Thanks for all the help.

I got back from a solo trip to DL about a month ago and it was great being by myself. The single rider lines are great, but SP's doesn't usually open until around lunch time it seems. The Indy single line isn't all that amazing I have to admit. I still ended up waiting a bunch just because it was so busy no CMs were available to move us to it.
Max pass was also great as it got me on a ton of rides and, since it was only me, I could justify the expense. It was super easy to find availability for one with it.

I got back from a solo trip to DL about a month ago and it was great being by myself. The single rider lines are great, but SP's doesn't usually open until around lunch time it seems. The Indy single line isn't all that amazing I have to admit. I still ended up waiting a bunch just because it was so busy no CMs were available to move us to it.
Max pass was also great as it got me on a ton of rides and, since it was only me, I could justify the expense. It was super easy to find availability for one with it.

Thanks for the advice. Did you do anything different on this solo trip that you usually dont when you go in a group.

On a solo trip - I'm more likely to "stop and smell the roses" sometime during the day. Meaning - I might spend more time getting a snack, a drink, just people watching than I would when traveling with others. For me - a wine flight in the middle of the afternoon is a treat - those I travel with would be BORED. So - I do some things that are different. But - I do lots of the same stuff!!!

I recommend getting a reservation for Blue Bayou. I've never been able to get there because I haven't planned in advance. Maybe it's just me - but twice I felt like the hostess loved telling me - we can't seat you today if you don't have a reservation.

Because some of the walks back to hotels at DL can be long - one thing I do differently there is "leave with the crowds" when solo. So - it's pretty safe territory in general - but I'm more likely to leave right after fireworks - just like everyone else - so I am part of the crowd. But when traveling with folks - we tend to wait for the crowds to thin. Depending on where you are at - there is a local shuttle, too. Again - I've done that solo to avoid walking around in the dark solo.

Thanks for the advice. Did you do anything different on this solo trip that you usually dont when you go in a group.

So I had never gone with a group, it was my first time to DL(I had a work trip in the area with a free day), but I will say that I just essentially did what I wanted to whole time. I actually timed my waits just to track my progress through the park(what can I say, I'm a numbers nerd), which I don't think I would have done with other people in tow.
I did not have a problem walking solo at night around the area, it was very safe, and, even while fireworks were happening, there were families walking back to their hotels so it shouldn't be a problem.

The best thing about DL solo versus DW is all the single rider lines like everyone has mentioned. They can be a little confusing, especially with the elevators that you take at several attractions like Indiana Jones. It's definitely worth it, and the FastPasses are easy to get for a single traveler. It's so much easier to do solo than DW!

I live in Southern California and go to Disneyland solo all the time. If I'm getting off work early and the traffic isn't too bad, I'll pop over to the parks for a evening. Maybe go on a couple of rides (if the mood strikes me), grab a corn dog or spicy bantam beef skewer, or check out what new Disneyana merchandise is on offer. Stop and take in the college band during the summer. Or appreciate small details in the new Pixar Pier while sipping on a glass of Blue Moon. If I pay enough attention, I see many annual passholders and cast members coming in by themselves when not working, making the most of their entry entitlements. But usually I don't pay enough attention, and nor do those around me.

Oh sure, I still take traditional trips to the parks with friends or family. But then my focus is on what they want to do and what they want to eat. I appreciate it through the group's eyes and not mine, and that is very fun and amazing, and memory making too. But Disney (WDW or DL) by myself is a special experience too... just not one that most people realize until they try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!