First stay as DVC Member on DVC points

hoperunner

Earning My Ears
Our first stay as DVC members using points is next month at BWV. We joined during our last trip and were able to take advantage of some of the perks. Wondering if DVC leaves any special kind of gift or momento on your first stay? Don't expect anything big, but a little something might be nice?

If you bought direct, you might get a phone call from your guide - I haven't heard of one in a long time, but its happened.

IMG_1659.JPG Sometimes you get pixie dust, but more often you do not.

One time, it was for returning. We often stay at BWV.

Welcome home guys bwv is very nice
Our first stay as DVC members using points is next month at BWV. We joined during our last trip and were able to take advantage of some of the perks. Wondering if DVC leaves any special kind of gift or momento on your first stay? Don't expect anything big, but a little something might be nice?

Only thing I got was a greeter who met us at the Magical Express bus stop at the resort, and knew our names. I figured that was a standard thing, until my next reservation, where we didn't get met by the greeter.

Only thing I got was a greeter who met us at the Magical Express bus stop at the resort, and knew our names. I figured that was a standard thing, until my next reservation, where we didn't get met by the greeter.

This was practiced as all resorts for a time in an effort to move check in along. I don't think that it is done anymore as online check in and direct to room has replaced it.

:earsboy: Bill

This was done by BWI/BWV staff and for others reading isn't done at all resorts and has nothing to do with DVC.

:earsboy: Bill

And we've never had it at BW, so it isn't done consistently there either.

One thing new members need to remember is that these little things cost money. With a timeshare, all the costs come out of our dues or come out of DVD as a marketing expense, and their profit is fixed. And we are a captured audience - it isn't like we are going to go somewhere else if we aren't impressed. So the things done on the CRO side to create return visitors aren't much less common on the DVC side. They seem to be a little more common at the resorts where management and housekeeping are shared with a CRO resort, but its still very much the exception.

You will get a "Welcome Home" from the security guard at the entrance to your DVC resort !! :)

My daughter bought points direct from Poly and our first trip was May/June for 10 days. I arrived first and checked in my group then waited in line for check in to Ohana breakfast and my daughter showed up right after and her 8 month old baby girl was given a Minnie stuffed animal from the front desk staff. I didn't think anything about it being our first stay as DVC and just assumed because she was a cute baby. :-)

And we've never had it at BW, so it isn't done consistently there either.

One thing new members need to remember is that these little things cost money. With a timeshare, all the costs come out of our dues or come out of DVD as a marketing expense, and their profit is fixed. And we are a captured audience - it isn't like we are going to go somewhere else if we aren't impressed. So the things done on the CRO side to create return visitors aren't much less common on the DVC side. They seem to be a little more common at the resorts where management and housekeeping are shared with a CRO resort, but its still very much the exception.

Agree that it cost money but it's a nice gesture. As a Marriott Vacation Club member, every visit as an owner you receive a "gift" (canvas tote bag, a deck of cards, etc..) You just visit the welcome desk in the lobby.

Agree that it cost money but it's a nice gesture. As a Marriott Vacation Club member, every visit as an owner you receive a "gift" (canvas tote bag, a deck of cards, etc..) You just visit the welcome desk in the lobby.

I REALLY don't need more junk in my life, and I certainly don't want to pay for more junk in yours - you can buy your own deck of cards or tote bag. I don't need "nice gestures" that I pay for that simply add to the waste stream.

I REALLY don't need more junk in my life, and I certainly don't want to pay for more junk in yours - you can buy your own deck of cards or tote bag. I don't need "nice gestures" that I pay for that simply add to the waste stream.

If you don't want it, you don't pick it up at the welcome desk. Marriott isn't Disney so I don't expect Disney to start providing owners anything more than what they paid for.

If you don't want it, you don't pick it up at the welcome desk. Marriott isn't Disney so I don't expect Disney to start providing owners anything more than what they paid for.

Yes, but I'm still paying (if I were a Marriott owner) for your tote bag. That is exactly what I don't want - to pay for your junk with my dues.

If it is stuff you want, book a DVC member cruise on DCL. Everyday is Christmas...this year's cruise included backpacks, blankets, candies and several Disney prints.

There are a number of reports over the years of a small gift and not just the first stay. However, you're post gives me the impression that you are expecting more than just a room. Once they have you're money there really isn't any reason for them to court you. DVC isn't an exclusive club and they don't routinely go to efforts to make members feel special IMO. It's a timeshare, nothing more and nothing less.

While I think there are a number of things Marriott does better than DVC, this is part of the sales process. It's a ticket to try to schedule you for a sales presentation. They're usually not overly pushy about it but that's the reason for it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter