First time at Palo - what should we get?

xiphoid76

DIS Veteran
OK, we finally made platinum (even after Hurricane Irma made us miss our last cruise). Now we get a free Palo dinner. After some consternation with my husband, who does not like dress codes, I convinced him to go. He is also vehemently opposed to paying for dinner when one comes free at the Main Dining Room :)

We have reservations for dinner and were wondering what recommendations do you all have for us first-timers there? Is there anything we have to try? Can you order multiple things like the Main Dining Room?

Also, do you sit with other people or are you at a table by yourself? And how much should we tip? Is 20 dollars good?

Thanks for any advice - super excited to go. We are not foodies by any means and sometimes order off the kids menu in the Main Dining Room, but this will be a fun experience!!

Everything! j/k. You can order as much or as little as you like. Depending on your server, they may or may not recommend more and bring it whether you want it or not. lol

You are seated at a table by yourself. Tip is entirely up to you but I would say $20-30 is good for 2.

Tell your husband it is worth it. Think of it as a bucket list kinda thing. The experience is somewhat dependent on the server but none of them are bad (some WILL be way over the top though). Yes, you can get multiple items. Make sure to explain this is your first time. We tend to request the same server over and over and that makes a diff too. Last trip we ended up ordering flatbreads and entrees and our server ended up bringing out four extra dishes we didn't order "for us to sample". He then brought desssert and then brought our different desserts we hadn't thought of ordering. They treat you very well. We usually tip at least $10-15/pp.

It's not just dinner like the MDR. The difference is vast, especially if you want some peace and quiet and don't like to be rushed in your meal.

My absolute favourite entree is the Palo tenderloin steak with red wine and Gorgonzola sauce. My hubbys favourite is the Osso Bucco. Every time we’ve gone the server has also brought us an extra trial size of another entree to share. I don’t think you can really go wrong with anything on the menu! It’s all amazing! Enjoy!!

The tenderloin is fantastic.

For palo i tip 50 percent of what it costs. If it’s 30 a person for my wife and I will be a 30 dollar tip. Tip what you want.

For remy I tip 25 percent of the cost.

The antipasto is incredible try not to eat too much. I love the capressi Salad, the spicy pasta and the lamb and of course the chocolate soufflé. We always get a wine package and you can use it in palo. We get it free also but stiLl tip at least $20 a person and sometimes more based on service. The cost of this meal would be at least 75 to 100 a person plus wine based on what you have so a $40 to $50 tip seems reasonable.

Must get the chocolate shuffle!!! It’s my favorite dessert on the ships. All of the entrees are wonderful, hope you enjoy it.

My absolute favourite entree is the Palo tenderloin steak with red wine and Gorgonzola sauce. My hubbys favourite is the Osso Bucco. Every time we’ve gone the server has also brought us an extra trial size of another entree to share. I don’t think you can really go wrong with anything on the menu! It’s all amazing! Enjoy!!

The souffle and the tenderloin are amazing!

I have been to Palo at least 15 times for dinner, I have never put something in my mouth there that I didn't like.
My favorites are the mushroom risotto, grilled portobello mushroom and polenta, the tenderloin and of course the souffle.
The brunch is pretty amazing too!
Don't miss it.

Everything I've had was wonderful. I found that if you ask for suggestions, they will provide a perfect combination of tastes from beginning to end. The servers became much more engaging will bring items that you may not have ever ordered but would absolutely love.

For us, it's similar to attending a chef's dining experience, but it's catered to our likes.

However, I will admit, that we are much more open to trying new things. If my brother in law dined with us, he would be ordering tenderloin. I found it very good and I don't like steaks.

So I don't think you could go wrong with anything.

Chocolate souffle is a must!!!!

I'm also a lover of the Osso Bucco and the antipasto plate they put together at the beginning is a fabulous start to the meal.
This is everything that I order but have them send out a half order of the Mushroom risotto.

We too are waiting for platinum to do dinner at Palo. My DH loves the main dining room as well. We have done brunch numerous times and love it. I know from brunch that the lasagna is the best I have ever had, if it isn't on the dinner menu you need to ask for it. It is amazing. I don't care how full I am, I will find room to enjoy some of that.

As for tipping, we usually tip 50% as well. The service is top notch, and you are not rushed. This past cruise we had Silvio for the second time (we requested him) and he let us sit and enjoy brunch for 3 hours. We took our time, rested, and he brought dishes out in courses for us to enjoy. My husband is not one for leisurely meals and all the fanfare, but he was so upset we might not get Palo (we booked the last cruise 6 weeks before we sailed) he booked brunch at the California Grill as a back up for when we came home. (FYI California grill is another amazing brunch).

Our favorites so far have been: Beef Tenderloin, Rack of Lamb, Mushroom Risotto, Gnocchi, Calamari, Grilled Portobello on Polenta, Chocolate Souffle. Last time they brought us seconds of the antipasto plate....so good with the balsamic drizzled on top!! As far as a tip, we've done between 30-40 for two people.

Everything! j/k. You can order as much or as little as you like. Depending on your server, they may or may not recommend more and bring it whether you want it or not. lol

You are seated at a table by yourself. Tip is entirely up to you but I would say $20-30 is good for 2.

When I have gone, I find the server will limit entrees and if I want extra starters suggest say like pasta - a half sized potion.

Desserts we can have two.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!