• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Time Disney Camper!

ssilykids

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have visited Disney several times. We have never stayed at Fort Wilderness however. DH is very leary of camping in our pop-up. We have three small children. His main concern is restroom facilities, and bus stops. Can anyone tell me how far the facilities are, and could my 4 year old make it in a hurry!

We camp in our pop-up at FW every year and love it. You can always request a site close to the comfort stations when you make a reservation. Then when you check in, reiterate that you want to be near the facilities. We've never had a problem with any of our requests being met.

You will love being at FW, especially with 3 children. My kids won't even talk about staying at a hotel now. To us, it's the best campground in the world! :D

I agree, ask for a site near a comfort station. No reason to be leary of them, they are the cleanest/niceses I have found in any campground.

You can check out my review of our last trip to FW in our pop up on my 2001 Camping Trips Web Page .

For more pop up information, check out the PopUpTimes Forums

Good luck, you will love it at FW!

We have only had a problem not being near a comfort station once. The rest of the times we got there early enough to get right next to the stations. However with a young child and with my weak bladder since having her we decided to buy a potty for the popup. It was less than $100 and well worth the investment. It is very convienient for those middle of the night runs. That way you dont wake everyone up trying to put on shoes and looking for your card to get in the station late at night!!! The potty stays in the camper when it is cranked down also.

I have several questions about our upcoming trip( I wish we were leaving tomorrow).

First how crowded is DW in March, I know it is considered peak season, but we were on-site the first week of June of 2002, and it was sooooo crowded. We usually go on our anniversary week in October, but with kids in school, that is out of the question.

Second, can you request a preferred site in a certain loop when making reservations?

Third, are there any discounts during the peak season. I will pay the extra DW is well worth it, but if you don't have to why do it!

We also purchased a porta-pottie. It is an inexpensive one that we only use at night. It looks like a big plastic barrel. We sit it outside under the pop-up side during the day - to save room in the pop-up. It is a lifesaver at night.

TIM5055!!

I love your pictures of Fort Wilderness. Is that tall tent next to your camper for your potty? I've seen them for sale, but never knew what they were for.

Susan
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Ssilykids, We've been to DW in March before and didn't think it was too crowded. We were there at the beginning of March. Check on the Theme Parks board and there's a thread with spring breaks on it. It might give you a better idea of when most spring breaks are.

We have always requested the 400 loop when reserving a Preferred site and have never run into not getting our request met. In fact, we have a favorite site and have always gotten that too! They'll tell you they can't guarantee you'll get in your requested loop, but I think they really do try and accomodate people.

Originally posted by susancl
TIM5055!!

I love your pictures of Fort Wilderness. Is that tall tent next to your camper for your potty? I've seen them for sale, but never knew what they were for.

Susan
:earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy: :earsboy:

Susan,

Yup - that's our potti tent it goes everywhere with us:eek:

We like it so much that it has it's own web page:

Our Porta Potti Page

I highly recomend them as it keeps everything out of the popup

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter