First time gluten free visitor.

BattyMcDoon

DIS Veteran
I recently found out that I have a pretty bad intolerance to gluten, so I am still rather new to being gluten free. I've been researching and trying to find first hand experiences with people who eat at the parks gluten free with as much recent information as possibly but most of what I'm finding is older and out dated. I reached out to the special disney email and got a seemingly generic, long email telling me nothing really helpful. Just stuff about suppliers and to let my server know when I get there....

We are planning on going during food and wine and I was a bit disappointed to not see a whole lot that I will be able to or want to eat on the menus. And we also have reservations at Bon Voyage Breakfast and 50s Prime Time for a late lunch. I know that places tend to be very accommodating, which is great, but I'm still trying to get past the initial shyness/embarrassment of needing that special treatment of my food and still trying to find my voice and how to properly speak up about things I don't want or that make me uncomfortable about my intolerance. (I had a pretty poor experience of ordering my first meal out which was only maybe a month ago now and some places have still been difficult since)

Any suggestions of where I can look? Does anyone have any first hand experience with this them self?

My wife is dealing with having to eat gluten free this year. She was diagnosed sometime after our last trip to Disney. It will be a big adjustment for her as well. She did find an app to put on her phone. I can't remember exactly what the app is called, but I think it's called "Gluten Free Disney dining or GFDD" or something very close to that. The app shows gluten free options at all the table service and quick service restaurants at each Disney park and at Disney Springs and at each Disney Resort. It looks like it will be very handy for us on our next visit to Disney. We will be eating at 50's Prime Time as well. We seen where they have a gluten free version of their Chicken Pot Pie dinner. She plans on ordering that for her meal there. I read where they will make you a gluten free fried chicken dinner if you give them advance notice. Best wishes and good luck.

Last edited:
My boyfriend has a gluten intolerance as well. I write dining reports every trip and always include information about what he could order/how well they handled things in the restaurants we ate at in every post. (They're in my signature below usually as DTR). Some places we have locally have done a poor job with handling his allergy or with him ordering, but Disney is always really good about it. You'll mark it on ADRs when you make them, and then they'll ask abut your allergy when you get there. Oftentimes you won't have to bring it up (but if they don't you should to make sure). They'll usually have quite a few options, and they deal with it a lot so there usually isn't an issue. Festival booths can be tricky and I agree they don't have very much GF stuff, although F&W usually has the most. I know there's a blogger called Fairytale Foodie that eats GF, and she usually goes to the festivals when they start and finds out if there is anything that can be modified to be GF or that isn't marked but could be safe too. It might take some looking around, but you should also be able to find GF menus for a lot of places online. Disney Springs places will often have them marked right on their website. I used to read this blog called GF in Orlando a lot when we first started going. I don't think they live in Orlando anymore, but it still has a lot of good info.

This is all really helpful, my husband has been GF and dairy free for over a year now. Many thanks!

My husband and I both have to eat gluten free. We just got back yesterday from a week at Disney and it was easier than expected. At any sit down restaurant where I made an advance reservation, I indicated the allergy. When I checked in, they already had the information and would offer us a printed allergy menu with all of the possible allergens listed. If you had any questions, the chef would come out to speak with you. I am not sure about the more informal food stands at Food and Wine but the restaurants were very accommodating and the food was good. I also googled allergy menus for each restaurant we were interested in just to see the options.

I've had many, many gluten-free experiences in Disney over the years. Disney is one of the best places to vacation with any type of food allergy, IMO, and I never have to worry.

I know that when you are first diagnosed with any type of gluten allergy / intolerance/ celiac that it can be a very overwhelming time trying to figure out what you can and cannot eat, but I promise that it does get easier! You don't have to worry about feeling self-conscious when ordering gluten-free items or speaking to a Disney chef because they are used to it and do it many times all day long.

We usually visit during F&G and F&W and there are more offerings for F&W than F&G. There is an app for your phone for food and wine and the other Epcot festivals which clearly list the gluten-free items available at each booth. That can be helpful for your trip. I have also checked the blogs mentioned by a PP but sometimes they're not very recent experiences.

For counter service restaurants that serve burgers and sandwiches, you will have a choice to get a gluten-free bun. The two counter service restaurants that I highly recommend are flame tree barbecue and Satuli because they have better food than just your standard burger and fries options. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is also good.

There are many table service restaurants all over WDW property that have great gf offerings. Sanaa, Spice Road Table, Biergarten, Ohana, Raglan Road and Tusker House off the top of my head.

I will say that I am not a fan at all of Erin Mckennas in DS. I've seen a lot of posts on here from people who don't like their baked goods either. She uses primarily bean flours which have an aftertaste, and she doesn't use dairy or eggs.

I'm sure more people will chime it and you can do a search on here for specific restaurants.

You'll have a great trip and will get the overall hang of eating gf in time. Enjoy your vacation!

Disney is one of the best places to be with an allergy or intolerance, or just plain preference. There are now even gluten free pre-packaged snacks in WDW. Ask for an allergy menu at CS locations, and if you are doing ADR's indicate it then, and when you get there just remind the server if they don't bring it up. Lots of people do it, and Disney really does make it easy.

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. Glad to see that other people have had really good experiences at Disney. I am really looking forward to being able to eat a little more worry free there.

She did find an app to put on her phone. I can't remember exactly what the app is called, but I think it's called "Gluten Free Disney dining or GFDD" or something very close to that. The app shows gluten free options at all the table service and quick service restaurants at each Disney park and at Disney Springs and at each Disney Resort.

I will definitely be looking into this app!

My boyfriend has a gluten intolerance as well. I write dining reports every trip and always include information about what he could order/how well they handled things in the restaurants we ate at in every post. (They're in my signature below usually as DTR).

Definitely going to check out your reports.

We usually visit during F&G and F&W and there are more offerings for F&W than F&G. There is an app for your phone for food and wine and the other Epcot festivals which clearly list the gluten-free items available at each booth.

The two counter service restaurants that I highly recommend are flame tree barbecue and Satuli because they have better food than just your standard burger and fries options. Sunshine Seasons in Epcot is also good.

Do you happen to know the name of the app so I can download it? Satuli is definitely on my list to check out this trip. I've been wanting to try their chicken bowl for a bit now!

Do you happen to know the name of the app so I can download it? Satuli is definitely on my list to check out this trip. I've been wanting to try their chicken bowl for a bit now!
On my iphone app store I searched "WDW Food&Wine" It's a free app and I found it through the Food and Wine thread on here. You have the option to set it to different events; Food and Wine, Flower and Garden. Right now the Food and Wine menu items came out last week or so, so you can see the gf items and where they are. You have options to make a wish list and it will map where you are. It's pretty cool for people who like to go to F&W and F&G.

I have had the Satuli beef bowl (my favorite!), the chicken and the tofu. All are super delicious! I get the chimichurri dressing, but I think they call it something different now. ??? You can ask the person taking your order what it's called now. I am not a big fan of the creamy dressing but I LOVE the chimichurri sauce; it might be called a grilled onion dressing now??? I honestly can't remember!

Don’t worry- Disney will take care of you! Their response to gluten and dairy allergies and intolerances is usually, “Oh, that’s easy!” They don’t need any advance warning and there will be a wide variety of food that you can have.

I really like this site: https://www.glutenfreedairyfreewdw.com/

Disney is the EASIEST destination to visit with food allergies. I never feel awkward or like I am imposing at Disney operated food establishments when I need to go over the food allergies for our family. CMs and Chefs really do a great job and seem very genuine/concerned.

You mentioned 50s PT. If you like fried chicken, they do an AWESOME gluten free fried chicken. Another great TS option is Skipper Canteen in MK. The GF food I had here was really tasty and there were so many yummy items on the menu it was hard to choose. In Disney Springs, I had great GF meals at both Raglan Road and Frontera Cocina.

For counter service, many locations will have the GF buns for burgers and GF chicken tenders and fries. In MK, I really enjoyed the food at Pecos Bills...I think it was a chicken burrito bowl where you get to choose all your toppings?? I also agree that Satuuli(sp?) in AK is tasty.

The hardest area to navigate with food allergies, for us, is the World Showcase in EP because most of these restaurants are not operated by Disney and the resorts in the EP area as they lack good, full service counter service restaurants.

You did not mention which hotel you are staying. At GF, they make a GF bun in house that is really great. I had it twice when ordering at the Beach pool. It was a grilled chicken sandwich with basil, avocado, and a tomato marinated in a balsamic dressing. Best GF sandwich ever.... Also had lunch one day at POFQ. I ordered the shrimp and grits for my meal and went back to order the GF Beignets. Both were to die for--incredible that this is counter service food! I also had good food at Contemporary QS--pot roast if I remember correctly--and at POR and GF.

I actually really like some of the items at Erin McKenna's Bakery in DS. My favorite by far is her lemon tea cake. I also enjoy her donuts and brownie bites.

I'll echo what everyone has said so far. Our son was diagnosed with Celiac just before our trip to Disney World three years ago so we were in the same boat as far as trying to sort through a lot of information before we arrived. Disney World is our least stressful place to go on vacation as they understand food allergies and take it very seriously. We have been many times since and each time every restaurant has been a worry free experience (except for one time at The Plaza when a sandwich was brought out on a regular bun....).

Do not feel embarrassed about asking to speak to a chef at any restaurant if you have questions. They are all very gracious and helpful.

You can also ask for ingredients/nutritional information at any snack kiosk. They have very helpful binders for all products that very clearly list what allergens are present.

Allergy menus are available at just about all restaurants now which does make things easier (for guests and employees), but also know that there are typically many other options that can be modified to be gluten free if you just ask.

One resource that I found invaluable is a website/blog called Alexis's Gluten Free Adventures. She has Celiac disease and has detailed review of her food/experiences at practically every restaurant in Disney World. www.alexisgfadventures.com

Please feel free to message me any specific questions you may have as well. We have visited 4 times since the Celiac diagnosis and I think we have a good grasp of eating gluten free at Disney World.

You did not mention which hotel you are staying. At GF, they make a GF bun in house that is really great. I had it twice when ordering at the Beach pool. It was a grilled chicken sandwich with basil, avocado, and a tomato marinated in a balsamic dressing. Best GF sandwich ever.... Also had lunch one day at POFQ. I ordered the shrimp and grits for my meal and went back to order the GF Beignets. Both were to die for--incredible that this is counter service food! I also had good food at Contemporary QS--pot roast if I remember correctly--and at POR and GF.

We are going to be staying at Pop Century which I've heard they may have gluten free mickey waffles which I am really excited to try. The sandwich you described sounds amazing! I will be sure to add that and gluten free beignets to my list of things I need to try!

One resource that I found invaluable is a website/blog called Alexis's Gluten Free Adventures. She has Celiac disease and has detailed review of her food/experiences at practically every restaurant in Disney World. www.alexisgfadventures.com

Please feel free to message me any specific questions you may have as well. We have visited 4 times since the Celiac diagnosis and I think we have a good grasp of eating gluten free at Disney World.

I will be sure to check out the link you provided and appreciate the offer, if I have any questions I'll definitely message you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!