First time on a cruise

Ok, thanks for the clarification on specific language. It is literally the same busses and drivers, though, and some of those busses say "Disney's Magical Express" on them, just as some of the Magical Express ones say "Disney Cruise Line". The part I wasn't positive on is if they picked people up the hotels or not.

The buses are from the same company. I'm 99% sure that if they are going to or from PC they are ONLY the ones that say DCL unless there is an issue with one or more of them. Once the PC runs are finished, they may well use the ones that say DCL as Disney's Magical Express busses, but there are differences in service.

Yes. DCL busses do pick up from the resorts - usually starting at 11 or 11:30 I believe. Like Magical Express, you will receive a letter in your room that will give you your assigned pick-up time and meeting place. Also like Magical Express, you will likely be picking up from 2 or 3 resorts before heading to PC. UNlike Magical Express, there is ONE pick-up from each resort (unless there are over 52 people at one resort going to PC, then they would have to use more) - so you need to make sure you're there.

• Magical Express is free between MCO and WDW resorts. If you fly in early and stay at WDW, you can use ME from the airport to WDW.
  • DCL transfers run between WDW and Port Canaveral OR MCO and Port Canaveral, on embarkation/debarkation day only (not a day prior, etc.). These cost $35 per person one way or $70 round-trip and can be added one-way or round-trip. You are not required to purchase any kind of package to book the transfers. You cannot book these online except during initial booking, but transfers can be added by calling DCL.
  • One-way car rentals are available between MCO and locations in Cocoa Beach, with a shuttle to the port. Rates vary. We've rented an intermediate size vehicle for $50 total (including taxes and fees). You may be able to do a one-way rental from Port Canaveral to Clearwater... you'll have to do the research on that. Keep in mind that car rental rates change frequently; I find the best rates come out somewhere between 3-6 weeks prior to when I want the rental. Unless you booked a special rate requiring prepayment, rental car reservations can usually be changed/canceled quite easily if you find something better next week.

Yes. DCL busses do pick up from the resorts - usually starting at 11 or 11:30 I believe.

Based on this information, and this is just my personal recommendation, I would plan to not use Disney's service. You are paying at least $20 per hour on the ship, and it being your first cruise and a shorter one at that, you will want to make use of every one of those minutes. Especially with there being so much to explore on the ship. I would either take a private shuttle as early as 8:30 from your Disney hotel, getting you to the port no later than 10:00 (assuming you checked in early and signed up for a 10:30 port arrival time, the earliest possible). Another option is to take private transportation to a coastal hotel the evening before, if their rates are cheaper than Disney's. You would then be all set to sleep in the next morning, grab their free continental breakfast, and then take their free shuttle to the port.
Lot's to consider, but there is really no wrong option, only better and better ones, once you research your options.

But they will take the bottles you buy in port until the end of the cruise where you pick up on your way off the ship. They give you a slip to bring them.

not true. you can carry on another 6 pack of beer or 2 bottles of wine and they will not take them. If you buy liquor in port, they will check those bottles and you can pick up at the end of the cruise

But they will take the bottles you buy in port until the end of the cruise where you pick up on your way off the ship. They give you a slip to bring them.

At each port, you can bring on an additional 6-pack of beer or 2 bottles of wine per adult 21+. They only take amounts above that and/or hard liquor until the end of the cruise.

Based on this information, and this is just my personal recommendation, I would plan to not use Disney's service. You are paying at least $20 per hour on the ship, and it being your first cruise and a shorter one at that, you will want to make use of every one of those minutes.

DCL transfers from MCO begin shortly after 9am and will usually be the first passengers to enter the terminal at the port. Buses run approximately every 20 minutes or when full, often with 2-3 buses departing in short succession soon after 9am. One can stay at an MCO-area hotel and take DCL transfers on embarkation morning.

DCL transfers from WDW resorts are set times, once per resort, and usually don't pick-up until at least 10:30am with arrival at the port often after 1pm due to multiple stops.

DCL transfers may be pricier than many other options, though maybe not for a party of 3. The break-even for DCL transfers vs private limo service tends to be around 4 passengers. Car rental should be less. But DCL transfers offer convenience. If arriving at MCO on embarkation day, luggage can be checked from the home airport and not seen again until at your stateroom onboard the ship. Even if staying at Orlando prior to embarkation, DCL transfers will take the luggage at MCO or WDW and deliver to your stateroom. There are video screens with cartoon shorts to entertain kids and kids-at-heart during the ride. It sort of sets the mood.

Enjoy your cruise!

No, you can bring onboard the same 2 bottles of wine/6 beers limit from ports of call, just like on embarkation.

What you cannot bring onboard is hard alcohol. If you purchase, say, some rum in port, you must turn it in to be held until the end of the cruise, but any wine/beer you purchase in port you may take to your room (with the same restrictions as on embarkation day).

Wow. So much to consider. I have never done Uber, but I'm not against it. Since there are 3 of us it definitely seems like something to consider if we fly in. I'm thinking driving in may just be easier though.

I think this is true for DCL and if your only stop is Castaway Cay. Since you're going to Nassau there is some useful information there.

Agreed. The Disney-specific board there gets almost no traffic (because people use this one instead) but their port of call boards and also the First Time Cruiser board are full of timely relevant information. And those boards aren't nearly as mean as the cruiseline-specific ones have the reputation for being.

No, you can bring onboard the same 2 bottles of wine/6 beers limit from ports of call, just like on embarkation.

What you cannot bring onboard is hard alcohol. If you purchase, say, some rum in port, you must turn it in to be held until the end of the cruise, but any wine/beer you purchase in port you may take to your room (with the same restrictions as on embarkation day).

Good to know we just thought it was any bottles brought on. But still good to know if you go to a port and want something they specialize in your can't have it until you get off at the end.....lol That is something I wish some one would have told us last trip.

Good to know we just thought it was any bottles brought on. But still good to know if you go to a port and want something they specialize in your can't have it until you get off at the end.....lol That is something I wish some one would have told us last trip.

As a craft beer freak, I wish I had looked more into the option of bringing beer from ports onto the ship. I bought IPA1A in Port Canaveral because it was unique to the cruise port area, and would have totally spent 20 minutes to get off and on the ship to pick up a 6-pack here. Regardless of if it is good or not, its trying a new thing that makes it fun.
http://www.piraterepublicbahamas.com/

At each port, you can bring on an additional 6-pack of beer or 2 bottles of wine per adult 21+. They only take amounts above that and/or hard liquor until the end of the cruise.

The liquor that they hold onto can be packed into your suitcase after the cruise to fly home in something like the picture attached. We use it to bring home a bottle of rum fron each place that we travel to.

Attachments

• 3DA451E5-DD54-457C-8E51-F6E28E059626.jpeg
    3DA451E5-DD54-457C-8E51-F6E28E059626.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 6
As far as transportation goes, what I would do is fly into MCO and stay in one of the hotels in Canaveral that offer “fly-snooze-cruise” packages. They will shuttle you from the airport to the hotel, then shuttle you to the port. After the cruise I’d do a one-way car rental from PC to TPA.

Oh and if you haven’t picked a Clearwater hotel yet, The Sandpearl is amazing :-).

Oh and if you haven’t picked a Clearwater hotel yet, The Sandpearl is amazing :-).
I got to stay at the Opal Sands in Clearwater Beach during my company retreat. Lovely hotel, amazing views, and I’m glad I didn’t have to pay for the room ($$$).

At my sons request our next big vacation will be a Disney cruise and time at Clearwater. We have been to the parks many times, but never on a cruise, never out of country. I have so many questions!

We will do 4 nights on the Dream.

Do we really need passports? Will birth certificates suffice?

How much do you spend on tips?

When do you plan excursions? Any specific ones that people recommend?

Can you carry on alcohol?

I'm not sure if we will fly or drive in. If we fly in what airport is closest? MCO

What do you wish you would have known on your first cruise?

Any links or websites you suggest?

Thanks for any help.
Most of these questions have been covered. So I am going to add to the only one that is not specific to rules or regulations........
I felt like I knew a lot going into my first cruise because of Disboards. It really is helpful to have this format and to be able to ask questions and learn. You are already acres ahead by being on here.

However, what I wish I would have known is how much my entire family would enjoy it. I wish we had started earlier traveling this way. It makes everyone from the adults to the 8 year old happy. I also wish I had known to let it naturally happen. You read so much about certain experiences and how important it is to get the 'right' PAT time. However, letting some 'things' happen as they will, relaxing the stress; which is the whole point.

Just be prepared; you will want to go on another cruise!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!