• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First time on a plane with DS (5YO)

debster812

<font color=blue>DIS Earth Angel!<br><font color=0
And we do not have a passport for him, so obviously, your average 5 year old does not have a photo ID. What do you all bring for ID for your children. I have his Social Security card, and a Birth Certificate. Should I bring one or the other, both?

We are flying SWA from Providence to MCO in January.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

Hi debster812- You won't need to have ID for your child, but I usually travel with a copy of my kids Birth cert. and a current picture. In the past, even since 9/11 we were never asked for their ID's. Might I suggest you invest in a pair of "earplanes", they are great if your child suffers from the pressure change in the plane during the initial descent, usually about 20 min. prior to landing. Unfortunately since this is your first time with your son, you don't know if you'll need them. If you haven't put them in before you descend then it's too late. In our case it was a great help on our 2nd trip. Our first trip was a nightmare.

I am already a MAJOR devotee of Earplanes. I used them for the first time about a year and a half ago while travelling on business. I am the poster child for ear problems, and flying was always SUPER painful for me. I figured if I could fly and NOT cry in fron of my VP it could only help my career ;) . It was bliss. Slight pressure on descent, but NOTHING compared to previous flights.

I already have 3 sets of Earplanes bought for our trip (DH, DS and myself). I am a complete convert.

Thanks for the ID info as well. I will probably bring both, just because it would be our luck that they ask for what we don't have. I have been pulled out for gate screening on 5 of the last 8 flights I have been on. It's my aura!

DD5 is a frequent flyer. DW always has a small "surprise bag" for her. It has a new pack of crayons, small coloring book, stuffed toy, etc. Something to keep her occupied for a few hours. One time we had a 3 hr delay at the airport. DD got out her crayons, and stuff and camped out. She was happy and didn't fuss at all...to the delight of the other long waiting passengers as well as her parents.

We have had no problems flying out of Providence with my dd. She started flying at age 4. They don't ask for ID. However....we have a child identification program in our area, thru the police dept. So, dd now hands the ticket counter people her ID from that program. It is really cute. And, we have something with us if, God forbid, something happened to her. But it has her photo and fingerprints. Yucky thought, I know. But, we feel better having it with us.
We play a game with her during take-off and landings. That's my worst time while flying, so maybe the game is for me!!! Anyway. We have her close her eyes and tell us when the wheels leave the ground or when they touch down. It really distracts her (and me).

A lot of police stations will do that for you... you might check to see if your can make you an ID.

Before our trip last year, our friends made one for their 3 yr old on their home computer and then laminated it. They used a wallet sized picture, a thumbprint plus all of his vital information. He enjoyed handing it to the clerks. Of course, they also carried his birth certificate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter