First time on Staying on property....Questions?

Raelynie

Earning My Ears
Hello!!!

Me and my boyfriend will be visiting in Aug and I have just a few questions Im hoping someone with experience can help with. Just so you know we will be going with 2park, park to park tickets 5 days.

1. We are going the week of 8.12-8.16. I know OC schools start back that week and GE will not be out yet but I also know its still a peak time (especially with Hagrids). Can someone offer some insight as to what the queues may look like, wait time wise? Are we looking at 60min for big name rides or closer to 120min+?

2. Because I know it will still be busy we were thinking of staying on property at a deluxe to take advantage of the EP for at least 2 days. Then moving to a cheaper on property resort. (I am right in saying that we will get 2 days of EP for a 1 night stay, yes?) If that is the case can we use those EP any two days or only the check in/out dates of the Deluxe resort? We have to have ULTRA tight purse strings this trip. We went from a TA rate marriott at like 69 a night to Cabana bay and now are considering this. So I know it will save on the EP but I really need to justify it.

3. It is just me and my boyfriend going were both 29. Do you think CBBR is a good pick for us or should we move to Aventura or Endless Summer? Their TA rates are the same the dates we are going. We don't mind kids and know there are going to be a lot at every point in our vacation because of were we are visiting and the fact were trying to be cheap as possible. However we wouldn't mind a resort that's a little quieter.

4. Were going to do one nice dinner while there. Hotel or Citywalk. What do you recommend? I'm more of an adventurous eater than he is. He is more meat and potatoes no thrill no toppings no condiments kind of guy. So maybe somewhere that at least has a standard steak/chicken/ fish kind of deal plus more adventurous options

5. We will be stopping on the way to the hotel to get some snacks for the room. What do you recommend or what is a must have for you?

Thank you all in advance for the help.

Hello!!!

Me and my boyfriend will be visiting in Aug and I have just a few questions Im hoping someone with experience can help with. Just so you know we will be going with 2park, park to park tickets 5 days.

1. We are going the week of 8.12-8.16. I know OC schools start back that week and GE will not be out yet but I also know its still a peak time (especially with Hagrids). Can someone offer some insight as to what the queues may look like, wait time wise? Are we looking at 60min for big name rides or closer to 120min+?

2. Because I know it will still be busy we were thinking of staying on property at a deluxe to take advantage of the EP for at least 2 days. Then moving to a cheaper on property resort. (I am right in saying that we will get 2 days of EP for a 1 night stay, yes?) If that is the case can we use those EP any two days or only the check in/out dates of the Deluxe resort? We have to have ULTRA tight purse strings this trip. We went from a TA rate marriott at like 69 a night to Cabana bay and now are considering this. So I know it will save on the EP but I really need to justify it.

3. It is just me and my boyfriend going were both 29. Do you think CBBR is a good pick for us or should we move to Aventura or Endless Summer? Their TA rates are the same the dates we are going. We don't mind kids and know there are going to be a lot at every point in our vacation because of were we are visiting and the fact were trying to be cheap as possible. However we wouldn't mind a resort that's a little quieter.

4. Were going to do one nice dinner while there. Hotel or Citywalk. What do you recommend? I'm more of an adventurous eater than he is. He is more meat and potatoes no thrill no toppings no condiments kind of guy. So maybe somewhere that at least has a standard steak/chicken/ fish kind of deal plus more adventurous options

5. We will be stopping on the way to the hotel to get some snacks for the room. What do you recommend or what is a must have for you?

Thank you all in advance for the help.

I can't answer your first question as I do not have any "real life" experience travelling during that time.

If you are thinking about booking a deluxe hotel, I would do it ASAP - prices have already higher than the standard rates would be if you had booked earlier - "stay more, save more" rates are already booked up at both Hard Rock and Royal Pacific. Depending on the cost, since there is only two of you, it might actually be cheaper to buy a one-day regular EP out of pocket.

You do get unlimited EPs for 2 days with a one night stay - the day you check in and the day you check out.

Aventura definitely skews more towards your demographic but I think you will still enjoy CBBR. Toss-up really!

Meal-wise, everyone raves about VIVO at Citywalk. If you really wanted to splurge, you could consider The Palm at the Hard Rock Hotel.

We always get a grocery delivery of quick breakfast items, snacks and bottled water for the room. Used Instacart last time with great results. We get granola bars, cereal cups, bananas, milk, chips, yogurt - that type of stuff.

Enjoy your trip!!

1. Looking at the actual wait times last year for the same week, you're looking at ~60 minute range as opposed to 120 min range for the best attractions. But to your point, there is the new Hagrid's coaster so I don't know what that might do this August to other attractions.

2. To answer your question precisely, the EP for staying in Deluxe is your room key and it can only be used on those days of your booking specifically (checkin and checkout day).

3. I concur with the above poster that Aventura might be your best bet. Probably less kids, it has a roof-top bar etc. But either place I'm sure you'd enjoy

4. I also concur with the above poster. The Palm is probably a good choice for what you're looking for. Toothsome I love too. It has lots of good different choices.

5. We always do a beer/wine run before going to check in so we have some of that in the room as we want it.

Not much more I could add as most your answers have been answered by TommyJK and mjhtvchick

All the onsite hotel guests are allowed in one designated park one hour before the general public

Take advantage of this
Potter section will be open and so will one or two other rides in that one hour period

We have to have ULTRA tight purse strings this trip.

I can't comment on your primary questions. But Cabana Bay is a great hotel and I have never found it overrun with kids (I am not a fan of the rugrat set).

You might want to check out what it would cost to upgrade to a suite at either CB or Endless Summer. We always do a suite at CB and the kitchen comes in super handy to save money on food. We usually start each day with breakfast in the room and then do a large, sit-down mean mid-day (not as many crowds that way) and then head back to the room for a break (to miss the worst of the heat), taking our left-overs with us. The left-overs then become dinner later that night or the next day. The CB suites only have microwaves, but they do come with plastic plates, bowls and silverware. The food court also have condiments, etc. that you can grab.

If you choose not to go with the EP hotel, plan on using early entry and late nights to your advantage. Also, going single rider at Universal usually ROCKS. You still might want to do the regular line at least once (particularly with the HP rides), but plan on doing those during EE and then it is single rider all the way.

If you are concerned about wait times, you can always check them out on the Universal app. See what they look like mid-July and that's about as bad as it is going to get.

I definitely recommend Cabana Bay. I never found it too overrun with kids. I like the theming, it's fun. We actually got "upgraded" to a suite one time and we hated it, the layout just didn't work for us and we didn't need the kitchen. We were able to switch back to a standard room. We also did a pool view one time, it was ok, better view, but louder. But that's just my opinion :-)

Most of your questions have been answered, the only thing I would say is opinion wise in terms of where to eat, I personally prefer the Hard Rock Cafe. It definitely has all the things you mention above. Also, amazing atmosphere, good food, big portions. However, I'm biased as I've always been in love with that place generally for everything. Also, they have amazing wings, grilled, and with a flavor due to the sauce.

Or if you're wanting something that also has something adventurous while also being a good place for picky eater, I would say CowFish is a good option too. You have all the apps, sushi, and then different choices of all the different burgers. Which also go from a typical burger to something highly unique. I'm sure he can find something there too.

Are you early risers? With a 5 park days you should be fine without EP if money is tight. Hit the parks in the morning, leave early afternoon to hang out by the pool (pool hopping is allowed to all resorts), go back in the evening when lines get shorter again. Like sandam1 said, single rider lines are great, DH and I used them our last off-site trip and were often riding at the same time in different rows. I love CBBR but have not stayed at Aventura or endless summer.

Are you early risers?

Ahhh see we can be, but this is also a "vacation". That why I was thinking first night at a deluxe so we can use our built up excitement and go go go the first two days THEN the other three days relax a bit more and enjoy our time and some relaxing. We also plan on taking a siesta from about 12-1 to 5-6 each day so that leaves a little less time in the park but much needed relaxation time.

I appreciate everyone's feedback and suggestions they are much appreciated :cutie:

We just stayed at Royal Pacific last month, loved it. Short walk to the parks and the boat transport was very nice too. We’ve also stayed at the other 2 deluxe. All are great.
I wouldn’t consider Endless Summer, they are the furthest away, on the other side of the highway. In no way connected to Universal. Imo your best choices are Cabana Bay or Aventura.
If you stay 2 nights in a deluxe you get 3 days of EP.

We enjoyed Toothsome and also Mythos last time. I’ve heard great reviews of The Palm, but if budget is tight, I would rather use that money on a second night at a deluxe.

Good Morning!

Quick update....

I talked with My boyfriend last night who said and I quote "Just do whatever you want, I need to get these manager Checklists done.... Don't spend TOO much...."
Hes a Financial analyst with IBM and its end of quarter so hes very stressed and under a lot of pressure right now. So I just grinned and said okay sorry to bug you babe.
I knew a decision need to be made quick because rates were only going up because were so close to travel. So here is our new plan of action which after watching videos and reviews for most of the evening yesterday I am very happy with.

Fri Aug 9th - leave home in western MD and hit a hotel in NC for the night.
Sat Aug 10th- Check into a hotel close to Orlando.
Sun Aug 11th- Check into Portifino :lovestruc Arriving early to pick up EPs.
Mon Aug 12th -16th- Aventura, we plan on leaving early on Friday now instead of having a park day and doing a half day at Disney Springs before heading home.
Fri Aug 16th- Hotel in SC
Sat Aug 17th - Back home to MD

I know I'm going to get spoiled our night at Portifino but I'm just lucky they had a room for a reasonable rate. The not only allowed us to get EPs for half price it allowed to extend or vacay for a day. I'm very excited and the countdown has begun!

Last edited:
I think you've gotten excellent advice but I want to add something. Especially if you are staying at Portofino you might want to look at eating at Bice. It was amazing. Service was over the top and the food was great. It's definitely more romantic than a lot of CityWalk restaurants and will we eat there again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!