First Time Renting My Points Out - Please Help

TotallyMinnie83

Remember Dreams Come True
Hi Everyone,

I have a good family friend that wants to rent DVC points from me. I trust that this person will pay and will be a good guest at the hotel.

I'm not exactly sure how the booking process would work on my end so I have some questions that are probably dumb. I do want to be able to explain the process to the person who rents the points.

1) Do I make the reservation directly in his name or do I have to reserve it in my own name and then transfer the reservation?
2) I'm pretty sure I have to reserve any DME or DDP in his name if he wants it - is that right? Can that be added on later or does he have to decide if he wants it at the time of booking?
3) Are there any additional issues or hoops that I have to go through to make a reservation for a renter?
4) Will he get magic bands from the reservation?

Thanks in advance - feeling nervous and wanting to get this done right!

1) Do I make the reservation directly in his name or do I have to reserve it in my own name and then transfer the reservation?
If you have all of their names, ages and address, you can make in their name from the beginning.

2) I'm pretty sure I have to reserve any DME or DDP in his name if he wants it - is that right? Can that be added on later or does he have to decide if he wants it at the time of booking?
Yes, the member must add DME and/or DDP. The DDP must be paid for in full at the time it's added to the reservation. Both can be added after the initial reservation is made. The DDP must be added at least 2 days prior to the check-in date. DME can be added as soon as they have their flight information.

3) Are there any additional issues or hoops that I have to go through to make a reservation for a renter?
Nope. Just need their names, ages and address.

4) Will he get magic bands from the reservation?
After you give them the confirmation number and they link it to their MDE account, they will be able to customize the MagicBands.

Last edited:

Your friend will need to pay for the dining plan when it is added to the reservation and you'll have to make that payment to MS, not him. So he will need to pay you or give you a credit card to pay for it.

Your friend will need to pay for the dining plan when it is added to the reservation and you'll have to make that payment to MS, not him. So he will need to pay you or give you a credit card to pay for it.
I don’t think they’ll let you use a credit card with someone else’s name on it, but a Disney gift card is great for this purpose.

If you are renting out your a DVC points or reservation, for cash, then Disney DOES specify in your ownership rules that you will use a written contract with those ‘guests.’ Here is a sample rental agreement that you might use. I got it on a different thread, on this board:

——————————-

Thank you for renting from us, by submitting your payment, you are agreeing to the following terms and conditions:
  • You will abide by all Disney Vacation Club terms, policies and rules applicable to Disney Vacation Club members and Disney Vacation Club membership.
  • You will be responsible for any unpaid charges or damages to the unit rented, including all contents and improvements, Disney Vacation Club property and Disney property during his/her stay that are assessed against the Member or his membership.
  • You will repay any unpaid charges or damages to the unit within 10 business days of notice being sent to you.
  • In the unlikely event that there are unpaid charges or damages to the unit, we will sending a fax or e-mail copy of a Disney Vacation Club or other Walt Disney Company communication assessing the charges or damages, which shall satisfy notice to you.
  • You agree that only the people listed on the reservation will stay with you. If you need to modify the reservation, and change the people on it, then please contact us regarding this, so we can modify the reservation for you.
  • This is an agreement to rent accommodations only, this does not include tickets, meals, transportation (except Magical Express and Disney’s internal guest transportation), transfers or entertainment, unless otherwise noted.
  • For any optional items that you cannot pay Disney Direct, you agree that you will pay a 5% processing fee for us to take care of it for you.
  • You understand there are no daily housekeeping services at Disney Vacation Club resorts, but rather Trash and Towel service. If your stay is for less than eight nights, Renter will receive Trash & Towel service on day four. If Renter's stay is for eight nights or longer, The Renter will receive full cleaning service on day four, and Trash & Towel service on day eight. After that, the cycle begins again on day twelve. Day one is check-in day. More frequent housekeeping is available for an additional fee payable directly to your resort.
  • Disney World is Smoke-Free. No smoking is allowed in the rooms at Disney World. Smoking is also not allowed on the balconies. Smoking is only allowed in specific, designated areas.
  • Pets are not permitted to stay at Disney Vacation Club Resorts, except for service animals as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act.
  • We agree that all maintenance and loan fees that are required for your resort stay to be valid will be properly maintained through your resort stay.
  • This reservation is nonrefundable, if you need to change the dates of the vacation, this may be able to be accommodated under certain circumstances, please contact us for more details. There will be no refunds provided for unused points and if you need additional points, you will need to rent them at the then current rate, if available. Please note that we will do our best to work with you if you have a problem, but our hands may be tied in some cases. Exception to nonrefundable clause: If we find someone to take over your reservation, we will refund 75% of what they pay us to you. (We can negotiate what you would find acceptable for them to pay us, if this is necessary).
Renter Name:
Date:
Electronic Signature:

Please return a copy of this contract, to us, by email, with your name typed into the appropriate place, above. This indicates your acceptance and understanding of this contract.

Last edited:
Technically, you are supposed to advise MS when the person(s) using the reservation are renters and not your personal guests. But in a case like yours where the individual is a friend, and not a faceless internet acquaintance, I don't think it's necessary.

I don’t think they’ll let you use a credit card with someone else’s name on it, but a Disney gift card is great for this purpose.

When I booked the dining plan for my last trip, I was able to enter my DD's credit card to pay for it when I added it online.

Technically, you are supposed to advise MS when the person(s) using the reservation are renters and not your personal guests. But in a case like yours where the individual is a friend, and not a faceless internet acquaintance, I don't think it's necessary.

You are probably right, but my sense is that, unless you rent out a lot, or unless you try to do it commercially, then they don't really seem to care. I have called MS to make reservations for 'Renters' and I have gone online and done it myself, and then called MS later to make changes, and in both those cases, MS knew that I was renting them out. The cast member mentioned it, but they still didn't care and didn't seem to make a big deal out of it or question it in any way. At the same time, I had other reservations in place for rentals, that the cast members could plainly see, but they never commented on them.

So, maybe they have a rule, but unless you 'push it' significantly, they probably don't follow up on the rule. At least in my experience.

Just adding to the conversation to emphasize "you need a written agreement detailing the reservation and financial terms". I own at OKW and have rented points out numerous times and have to date had no problems. I use a formal written agreement for all transactions. You need to put in writing all terms of the rental agreement to protect yourself and the renter.

You are probably right, but my sense is that, unless you rent out a lot, or unless you try to do it commercially, then they don't really seem to care. I have called MS to make reservations for 'Renters' and I have gone online and done it myself, and then called MS later to make changes, and in both those cases, MS knew that I was renting them out. The cast member mentioned it, but they still didn't care and didn't seem to make a big deal out of it or question it in any way. At the same time, I had other reservations in place for rentals, that the cast members could plainly see, but they never commented on them.

So, maybe they have a rule, but unless you 'push it' significantly, they probably don't follow up on the rule. At least in my experience.
They do have a rule. Twenty non-owner reservations and they start looking at you as a commercial renter. It was reported that at least one member was stopped from commercial renting and his reservations were cancelled.

They do have a rule. Twenty non-owner reservations and they start looking at you as a commercial renter. It was reported that at least one member was stopped from commercial renting and his reservations were cancelled.

Deb & Bill, do you know if this is per UY or total current reservations (which could be 3 years worth of points if you rent out the bank and borrow)?

Deb & Bill, do you know if this is per UY or total current reservations (which could be 3 years worth of points if you rent out the bank and borrow)?
It was per year. Maybe even twenty reservations within a twelve month timeframe.

It was per year. Maybe even twenty reservations within a twelve month timeframe.

So, do we don't know if they measure 20 reservations per use year or 20 reservations per calendar year. Is that right?

And are these 20 reservations total or just 20 non-family reservations?

Last edited:

One time we rented points, the renter gave us their credit card info to pay for the dining plans with no issues.

You can use gift cards and just go to Disneygiftcard .com and you can transfer money from one gift card to another gift card that has the exact amount and that way you don't have there credit card info, You can also do a 3 way call. I did that with my brother.

You may also want to include their Phone number and e-mail address in their reservation. Just recently rented out to some friends and I included this info in the reservation.

Also, make sure you are all in agreement with the financial terms of the transaction. If you don't make them pay up front and they end up cancelling at the last minute, you could be in a sticky situation with those points.

I'm always happy to rent my points to my friends if we have extras, as it saves them a bunch of $$$ and I like being able to help them do that. But we always make sure they understand the financial terms before we proceed with renting to them.

Good luck!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter