First time renting points

samantha3590

Mouseketeer
I put in a request for Beach club through DVC rental store for 4/25-5/2. Put down my $100 security deposit on 5/28 so just days after the 11 month mark and still haven’t heard anything. Is this normal or no?

I can’t speak for DVC store, I rent solely through David’s, but I would say that seems odd. David’s emails you through every step of the process. And when avaible usually has my reservation confirmed within 24 hours.

The issue is that not only does the dates need to be available but an owner at BCV needs to be willing to pick up your reservation. Did they confirm they have received your request?

At DVC rental store they email owners requested reservations and they simply pick them up. It isn’t really a first come first serve system. I’m not sure how David’s works but I suspect similar (I’ve only rented points through DVC rental store since they pay owners more).
I can’t speak for DVC store, I rent solely through David’s, but I would say that seems odd. David’s emails you through every step of the process. And when avaible usually has my reservation confirmed within 24 hours.
Even BCV being confirmed (and by confirmed you mean a rental confirmation?) within 24 hours. I think that is quite fast. Anytime I tried to rent from both it was a long time after they said they started looking. In fact the waits are why I decided to just buy.

They did emailing me saying they got my security deposit. She said it could take “hours,days, or sometimes longer.” This is my first time so I wasn’t sure what “normal” was.

Even BCV being confirmed (and by confirmed you mean a rental confirmation?) within 24 hours. I think that is quite fast. Anytime I tried to rent from both it was a long time after they said they started looking. In fact the waits are why I decided to just buy.

Thats why I love David’s, I think they just have a very large pool of owners. We’ve rented 6 times in 3 years and they always confirmed within 24 hours of our request. They reply within an hour or so of the initial request saying they are searching and always within a day we’ve been booked.

Thats why I love David’s, I think they just have a very large pool of owners. We’ve rented 6 times in 3 years and they always confirmed within 24 hours of our request. They reply within an hour or so of the initial request saying they are searching and always within a day we’ve been booked.
Yeah but out of curiosity has it been for BCV or similarly small popular resorts (VGF or VGC for example). I’ve personally never had success with all 3 resorts. Also not sure why they have more owners when they pay less and have “worse” payment terms.

As for the OP my guess is there hasn’t been an owner available yet. Though a call to see the name on the list is worthwhile.

They did emailing me saying they got my security deposit. She said it could take “hours,days, or sometimes longer.” This is my first time so I wasn’t sure what “normal” was.
I think that was normal in my experience. BCV is very popular request for renting. I’d just give David’s a call and see about where you are in line if they keep it first come first serve.

Also I’d definitely talk about backup resorts when time passes to make sure you have a reservation somewhere if other DVC resorts interest you.

Yeah but out of curiosity has it been for BCV or similarly small popular resorts (VGF or VGC for example). I’ve personally never had success with all 3 resorts. Also not sure why they have more owners when they pay less and have “worse” payment terms.

As for the OP my guess is there hasn’t been an owner available yet. Though a call to see the name on the list is worthwhile.

Actually all three you listed and a BWV STD 1 bedroom that no one said we could get!

BCV 1 bedroom - May
Poly Bungalow :oops: - November
Poly Studio STD - February
VGC Studio - May
VGF 2 bedroom std -September
BWV 1 bedroom STD - November

Actually all three you listed and a BWV STD 1 bedroom that no one said we could get!

BCV 1 bedroom - May
Poly Bungalow :oops: - November
Poly Studio STD - February
VGC Studio - May
VGF 2 bedroom std -September
BWV 1 bedroom STD - November
If within 24 hours that’s impressive.

I think that was normal in my experience. BCV is very popular request for renting. I’d just give David’s a call and see about where you are in line if they keep it first come first serve.

Also I’d definitely talk about backup resorts when time passes to make sure you have a reservation somewhere if other DVC resorts interest you.

I think when the 2020 booking window opens I’m going to go ahead and secure something through Disney “just in case.”

None of the agencies are first come, first serve. As owners, we always have the ability to turn down a request. There are too many variables for an agency to tell one of us "book this" and have us jump when we're told - be it that it orphans a handful of points, requires borrowing, there being a UY issue, etc.

1. They do need to find an owner who has the points available, and who is willing to do it. When they get a request, they put out a notification to the owners on their list, who might have points available. But it is up to the owners to respond, and there just might not be anyone available at the moment who has points there. However, if no one responds initially, they can send out another notification, and another, until someone responds.

2. This is quite far out (that is good) and there is availability, so it is very likely that you will be able to get what you want.

3. I think it is very beneficial to you to give them a call directly, today, to ask them how your request is going. They always seem amenable to phone calls. Email also works, and they will answer it, but it might take a day or two. As has been said, it isn't really first come, first served. They try to do that, but it is based on which owners respond. But, as they also say, "The squeaky wheel gets the grease." So I always contact the rental agencies at least once or twice a week when I want something.

Like @crvetter, I also bought after going through the rental process. I tried at both DVC rental store and David's for both halves of a split stay. It was around the 8 month mark for a split SSR/BCV(1BR) May visit. Neither site filled either half for weeks. Just outside of 7 months the SSR (DVC RS) got filled and just under 7 months the BCV got filled (David's). (I had to wait till the 7 month mark, so I got the lower rate). I had a friend who had given me his log-in info, so I was seeing availability disappear. This experience showed me it is an owner's market in the rental world. Now, I am an owner.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter