First Time Scooter User Questions

I can share some Scooterbug bad notes. Jan. 2020 trip with my daughter--ran out of juice at AK, called Scooterbug re replacement (which worked flawlessly on a previous trip w/another provider). The gal on the phone rebuked me for not taking the charger with me--have YOU seen plugs for recharging? They are rare and usually charging someone's phone. We gave her our cell phone number to update us...and then we waited. Meanwhile, she called our NC home phone number and left a message...and they delivered a replacement scooter to our hotel. We were still stranded at AK. Eventually, after several phone calls, missed Pandora FP, and a hike on my cane with my daughter literally pushing and pulling the scooter (yes, we released the lever to make it 'easier'), and several hours later, as the park was closed and we were anxiously hoping we didn't miss the last bus...they showed up with a replacement 4 wheel scooter. We eventually caught the bus to our hotel. I am no a newbie to using a scooter and always fully charge it overnight...The 4 wheeler is much more difficult to maneuver--even the bus drivers took pity on me. So after one day with the monster, I called again to try to get the 3 wheel version as I had reserved months before (and yes, I took the charger with us). We enjoyed the remaining days at the parks...but I was startled to hear the recorded message on the NC phone when we got home. They were resolving our problem as soon as possible...right.

I can share some Scooterbug bad notes. Jan. 2020 trip with my daughter--ran out of juice at AK, called Scooterbug re replacement (which worked flawlessly on a previous trip w/another provider). The gal on the phone rebuked me for not taking the charger with me--have YOU seen plugs for recharging? They are rare and usually charging someone's phone. We gave her our cell phone number to update us...and then we waited. Meanwhile, she called our NC home phone number and left a message...and they delivered a replacement scooter to our hotel. We were still stranded at AK. Eventually, after several phone calls, missed Pandora FP, and a hike on my cane with my daughter literally pushing and pulling the scooter (yes, we released the lever to make it 'easier'), and several hours later, as the park was closed and we were anxiously hoping we didn't miss the last bus...they showed up with a replacement 4 wheel scooter. We eventually caught the bus to our hotel. I am no a newbie to using a scooter and always fully charge it overnight...The 4 wheeler is much more difficult to maneuver--even the bus drivers took pity on me. So after one day with the monster, I called again to try to get the 3 wheel version as I had reserved months before (and yes, I took the charger with us). We enjoyed the remaining days at the parks...but I was startled to hear the recorded message on the NC phone when we got home. They were resolving our problem as soon as possible...right.

Wow...that must have been so frustrating and even more so with the rude comment.

I'm happy the rest of your trip was wonderful.

On another note.

For those researching purchasing mobility scooters, it is also important to compare the turning radius between the 4-wheel and 3-wheel mobility scooters to make sure it fits your lifestyle needs at home, too.

Once I went from a 3-w to a 4-w and I couldn't make the sharp, left, 90-degree turn entering the front of the MARTA bus.

My larger Victory® LX Sport 4-Wheel had a 61-inch turning radius.
(not counting the mobility scooter's width.
They don't make a 3-Wheel.

The larger Victory® 10 4-Wheel has a 52-inch turning radius.
The larger Victory® 10 3-Wheel has a 42-inch turning radius.

The smaller Go-Go® Sport 4-Wheel has a 50-inch turning radius.
The smaller Go-Go® Sport 3-Wheel has a 36-inch turning radius.

It can make a difference if think about it on each individual's circumstances and needs..

Especially if you live alone with no family to help.

Now I own a Fold and Go Wheelchair with a 32-inch turning radius.

We have talked about it here before, but you should not plan on finding outlets in the Parks to charge.

Some of those outlets are "non-standard", meaning that they have been specially modified for Disney's maintenance or other purposes; those tend to be "locked" and not easily accessible (with special cover plates, etc.)

By *always* making sure that you charge any mobility device completely overnight, you should have enough power to go all day. If, for some reason it does not last the entire day, then you need to call the rental company and have them bring out either new battery(s) or a new device.

If the device is your personal device, then you need to buy a new battery - you can still use your original as a spare or backup.

But never rely upon Disney (or *any* place you travel with a mobility device) to have charging outlets. By practicing good battery "hygiene", you should be able to go all day at the Parks without charging; there are LOTS of folks here who do it on a regular basis.

If you have the money for a trip to WDW, you should be able to afford a new battery for your personal device. It's your legs; take good care of it.

Battery Hygiene tips:

Make sure that you charge your scooter to full capacity every night in your Resort room, and you should (hopefully) never need to plug it in and charge it during the day at the Parks.

For example, if you are sitting on your scooter, (in a queue, watching a parade, looking at a map) and won't be moving for more than 10 seconds turn it off. Unlike a car, the scooter is "instant on", so you don't have to worry about the time it takes to switch on/off.

So - turn it off if the queue you are in isn't moving.

Turn it off when you are waiting for the bus, and the bus isn't there.

Turn it off ON the bus, when it is tied down.

Turn it off when you are eating meals, using the bathroom, taking pictures, or talking to a Cast Member.

Turn it off when you park it for any amount of time.

So... not moving? Turn.It.Off.

Make sure the headlight and/or tail light is not on during the day.

Don't charge your cellphone, iPad or allow other devices to draw power from your scooters' main battery supply.

You get used to turning it off quickly - and being able to go all day on one battery, without worry, is worth the tiny extra thought and movement it requires to turn it off anytime you are not in motion.

I've taken an ECV through the line on Pirates, Pooh and It's a Small World to name a few. Something like Haunted Mansion or Spaceship Earth you go in through the exit. Again, ask a cast member.

Wow! They have never allowed me to take my ECV through pirates. I’ve always had to transfer to a manual wheelchair and my husband pushes me. I’m glad you’ve been able to. My ECV is getting older, and I’m thinking of replacing it with a folding power chair.

Me either, even when I was on solo trips. Made the whole "transfer to a wheelchair" thing interesting!

I would have had to fold up the footrests and "pedal" my way through - LOL my poor arms would have never made it!

But I'm like y'all - I have *never* been allowed to take even tiny little 'ol Angus through Pirates; it's always "Here's a wheelchair for you to use".

Wow! They have never allowed me to take my ECV through pirates. I’ve always had to transfer to a manual wheelchair and my husband pushes me. I’m glad you’ve been able to. My ECV is getting older, and I’m thinking of replacing it with a folding power chair.

I actually bought mine used a year ago after renting them from one of the companies in Orlando. I paid $300 for a Golden Technologies Buzzaround that sells new for around $2,500. It is in great shape. All it needed was new batteries after a year.

My family will be going to Disney World next July. Due to me having problems when my daughter and I went in 2019, I have been informed that I will be using an ECV (I will be 72 and am having back problems that keep me from walking or standing for any length of time.) A lot of my questions have been answered, but I was wondering about rides, such as Rise of the Resistance. Am I able to go through the line or will I need to go in another entrance. Also, I go in another entrance, can I wait on my family. For most of them this will be their first time and I don't want them missing out on some of the ques.

My family will be going to Disney World next July. Due to me having problems when my daughter and I went in 2019, I have been informed that I will be using an ECV (I will be 72 and am having back problems that keep me from walking or standing for any length of time.) A lot of my questions have been answered, but I was wondering about rides, such as Rise of the Resistance. Am I able to go through the line or will I need to go in another entrance. Also, I go in another entrance, can I wait on my family. For most of them this will be their first time and I don't want them missing out on some of the ques.
When there is an alternative entrance you and up to 5 people can go with you. I do not believe the ride you named has an alternative entrance

I was wondering about rides, such as Rise of the Resistance. Am I able to go through the line or will I need to go in another entrance. Also, I go in another entrance, can I wait on my family. For most of them this will be their first time and I don't want them missing out on some of the ques.
I rode Rise of the Resistance when I went during Columbus Day week. I drove the ECV through the ride queue and through the first half of the ride. When you get in the room with the stormtroopers, a cast member will ask you about walking a few feet and then transferring to a ride vehicle. It wasn't a very long walk and I used my cane for it to help with balance. Then once the ride was over, you only had to walk a few feet to where the ECV was parked.

There are a few places (like Pirates & Buzz at MK) where you will have to park the ECV and use an attraction-supplied wheelchair (meaning that there *should be* a handful of wheelchairs to transfer to) and a member of your party will assist you through the queue. I've always thought Buzz uses this because of physical space issues; Pirates it's because you start off on one level, and actually end up on another, making transport of ECVs to the end of the ride a bit trickier.

You will bump into a few other places like this - for example, to ride Gran Fiesta Tour in the Mexico pavilion at EPCOT, or Small World at MK, you can usually take the ECV all the through, but will have to transfer to a wheelchair for the accessible boat.

Generally speaking, ask a Cast Member outside of any attraction how/where to park your ECV; remember that *generally speaking* you can take it all the way through almost every queue in all 4 Parks, and a CM will show you where to leave it when you board the attraction.

Same thing for dining, BTW - just ask a CM at the entrance; often you can take the ECV all the way to the table, or very close, and either a CM or a family member can take it back out and park it for you, and then retrieve it when it's time to leave.

You can also bring a folding cane or folding walker to carry on the ECV to help in those kind of situations; let your rental company know that you will need to store that on board - they may have a walker or cane holder for you to use with the ECV.

thank you. This is a big help.
I rode Rise of the Resistance when I went during Columbus Day week. I drove the ECV through the ride queue and through the first half of the ride. When you get in the room with the stormtroopers, a cast member will ask you about walking a few feet and then transferring to a ride vehicle. It wasn't a very long walk and I used my cane for it to help with balance. Then once the ride was over, you only had to walk a few feet to where the ECV was parked.

I’m planning my trip for, hopefully, next year. My mom will need a scooter this time. I am adept at most things Disney, but this is new to me. I have several questions/concerns and looking for some insight.

1. I know that only Scooterbug is allowed to deliver and pickup without you being there. How easy is it with the other area companies, particularly Gold Mobility and Buena Vista?
2. When boarding the bus, do my sister and I board with my mother or do we wait? I don’t want to take advantage and jump the line simply because she will have a scooter.
3. In the parks, she may want to do some walking. Can we park the scooter somewhere and perhaps walk around shops or just the “land” that we are in?

I have my own ECV now, and I haven’t rented since you have to meet, but I’ve read several people talking about Scooterbug being very good. I rented from BuenaVista (many, many years ago) and they gave me a boat that was hard to maneuver. After that, I rented at Apple and had great luck with them.

As far as parking to walk in the shops, I’ve seen people park just outside of the shops and walk in. With my stability being what it is, I use the scooter inside the shops. You will find places to park it throughout the parks. Another option is for someone else to drive the scooter while she’s walking. It will give them a rest.

She won’t regret having the scooter. It will make the trip more enjoyable for everyone.

I just called yesterday and made my reservation for February with Apple. I have always used them and had very good experiences. The one time I had issues with a battery they brought me a new one at the park--it took about 45 minutes from my call to the guy showing up. According to the woman I spoke with they do have the high back seats back in stock (they didn't for a while) and my reservation is marked to give me one of those.

I have not had to meet them before because the last time I used them at Disney they still were able to leave it at bell services for me. I was told that since we are driving in to give them a call a half hour or so before we are arriving and they will meet us at the resort--if I have my room number already and can give them that they will meet me at the room. Also, if it applies to you, Apple offers a Military discount.

I just called yesterday and made my reservation for February with Apple. I have always used them and had very good experiences.

After the first time of using Buena Vista (because it was recommended by Disney) and getting an enormous scooter that I couldn’t parallel park on the bus for anything, I used Apple every time we went until I started needed the scooter in the airport. If I were renting again, I would use Apple and just have them meet me at the room or so.

I know most of your questions have been answered here but I just wanted to say something about Scooterbug rentals. I rented one of their scooters just two weeks ago. It took about 3 minutes by phone to arrange. They were very helpful. This was my first time renting an ECV. They delivered the scooter to the resort the morning of my arrival. I picked it up with no problems. It was fully charged and never ran out of charge the whole time I had it, charging every night. The charge would never drop to where I was even worried about it. The last day I simply dropped off the scooter in the morning with bell services and left the resort. So easy and no problems. You cannot beat the convenience. No off site meeting anywhere. I understand as well that they service the scooter that Disney rents in the parks and so they are on site at the resorts/ parks for any problems (never had a problem so I cannot comment on the service for problem issues). I will definitely rent from them again if needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter