First time staying off-site... booked at Marriott's Sabal Palms

TulipMom

Mouseketeer
Hi there,
I am planning an upcoming trip for next summer to WDW for myself, my husband, our kids (ages 8 & 9), my in-laws, and my brother-in-law. We'll be staying 7 nights and plan on hitting up WDW parks and 1 day at Universal.

Our most recent stays were at Wilderness Lodge in 2015 and a split-stay at Polynesian for 5 nights and then 3 nights at Orlando World Center in 2017. While we love all of the benefits of staying on WDW property, we really enjoyed World Center during our last trip, as the rooms were better & cleaner, with better service from staff, higher-quality food, a calmer environment, etc. Our kids also loved the huge pool and slide.

Because we have available Marriott points, we are planning to stay at a Marriott property again. We have booked a stay at Sabal Palms. I am looking for recent reviews of this property. How long does it take to walk from Sabal Palms to the pool at World Center? Are there restaurant options at Sabal Palms, or is it best to head to World Center for that as well? What's the best transportation plan to/from WDW parks and Universal. Any other thoughts, tips, reactions to experiences at Sabal Palms?

Also, more generally, if we're used to the on-site benefits, are we going to regret this off-site stay? We really want the space and amenities of the 2-bedroom villas (and for free on Marriott points!), but hope we don't miss out on the easy access to parks and the magic of Disney properties.

We've stayed here several times and love it!

Let me start by saying the the Sabal Palms is what got my DVC son in law to stay offsite. He is a self proclaimed Disney snob, with most of his family owning DVC and some of them working for Disney. He grew up staying DVC and wouldn't even consider staying offsite with us until about 2 years ago. He and my daughter had to stay with us one night before their DVC reservation started (his parents own) and he loved it so much, I booked it for them the following year. This past Fall we were unable to get the Sabal for them but we booked the Sheraton Vistana and he loved that also.

While we love all of the benefits of staying on WDW property, we really enjoyed World Center during our last trip, as the rooms were better & cleaner, with better service from staff, higher-quality food, a calmer environment, etc.
The Sabal is the same, with a very quite atmosphere..... sometimes you may even have the whole pool to yourself!

How long does it take to walk from Sabal Palms to the pool at World Center?
Probably about 5-7 minutes. You exit the Sabal parking lot, which is behind the World Center and walk toward the World fitness center, spa and West terrace spa pool, there's a path the runs along side of the spa pool and right to the large pool. There is a fitness center in the Sabal building, but I'm talking about the one right outside the World property. I’ll try to attach a map.

Are there restaurant options at Sabal Palms, or is it best to head to World Center for that as well?
The Sabal doesn't have a restaurant. You would need to go to the World Center. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby on 535. Your condo will have a full size fridge and stove if you want to bring and or prepare food.

What's the best transportation plan to/from WDW parks and Universal.
We drive, so we have a car, but we also use Uber and Lyft when we're in WDW. I *think* they might have a shuttle for a fee, but I wouldn't rely on that mode of transportation. JMO.

Any other thoughts, tips, reactions to experiences at Sabal Palms?
We like to stay in building 43, which is right next to the Sabal pool. The balconies in this building face the pool and are the only ones that do so. The buildings are two stories high and have steps to the second level, no elevator. We stay on the second floor so we don't hear the pitter patter of little feet above us, YMMV. They do some activities at the Sabal but you can also do the ones at the Imperial and Royal buildings too. (those two buildings share a pool and are closer to the main entrance)

Also, more generally, if we're used to the on-site benefits, are we going to regret this off-site stay? We really want the space and amenities of the 2-bedroom villas (and for free on Marriott points!), but hope we don't miss out on the easy access to parks and the magic of Disney properties.
I can't answer that, as it's a very personal idea of expectation and what you consider benefits and magic. It's not a Disney themed resort or rooms, but it's a very beautiful resort and high-end looking and experience. The rooms are HUGE! Especially the master bedroom and bathroom, with a multi jet glass block shower. The second bedroom has one full size bed and one single bed and there is also a pull out sofa in the living room. The second bathroom is attached and accessible from the hall or bedroom. If you can stay for free, there's nothing lost if you decide down the road that it's not where you like better than onsite.

HTH!

Attachments

• 7C5E8323-1B7C-4990-9389-4D4819A2ABAC.jpeg
    7C5E8323-1B7C-4990-9389-4D4819A2ABAC.jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 27
@mckennarose Thank you SOOOO much! This is hugely helpful!!! It's making me feel much better about keeping Sabal as our choice! We even considered that we could stay for free on our points and pay for a VIP Tour one day and still come out spending less money than if we'd stayed on property! That might just make up for any of the lost WDW property benefits. ;)

We even considered that we could stay for free on our points and pay for a VIP Tour one day and still come out spending less money than if we'd stayed on property! That might just make up for any of the lost WDW property benefits
That's one of the reasons we like to stay offsite.... being able to do more "extras" with the money we save, and also being able to go more often. Having a lot of room to move around in is way more relaxing for us than cramming into a small hotel room, not to mention the benefits of having a washer/dryer to keep up with laundry.

With so many of my son in law's family owning DVC, we are invited to stay with them frequently but we prefer having our own space and being able to get away from the busy-ness of Disney. And the pools are usually much less crowded than on-site!

I agree with @mckennarose that regretting/liking off site is very personal. I have found that both on and off site are great for different reasons.

As for convenience, assuming you have your own car, staying offsite can be as - or more - convenient than staying on property. Even if you pay (a lot) extra for the monorail or Epcot area resorts, onsite guests are still going to be waiting (who knows how long) for buses to other parks. With your own car, you control when you come and when you go. Yes, you have to figure parking and walking to the gates into your time calculations, but those are KNOWN factors. When the next bus comes can be anyone's guess. Even if you're stuck in a traffic jam getting out of a parking lot at the end of the night, I'd rather be in my own car, sitting down, listening to my own music than waiting in a long line for 15-30 minutes and then standing squished on a bus and trying to hold onto my kid on the way back to a resort.

If, however, you decide you really like to be "on" property, consider using those Marriott points for the Swan or Dolphin. No, you won't get the same space and amenities as in a timeshare resort, but you can potentially stay for "free" (except for the resort fee) and be walking distance to Epcot and DHS. Last year we stayed at the Swan on points, and got upgraded to a suite (DH travels for work, so he's got quite a bit of status built up). While there's no guarantee that would happen in your case, park access doesn't get much easier than the Swolphin.

Magic, in my opinion, can happen anywhere. When we stayed offsite at the Sheraton Vistana, there was no Disney theming, but we brought our own touches. Each day the kids found a small gift "from Mickey" in their rooms. For the duration of the trip, any time something good unexpectedly happened, it was "Mickey Magic."

We've stayed here several times and love it!

Let me start by saying the the Sabal Palms is what got my DVC son in law to stay offsite. He is a self proclaimed Disney snob, with most of his family owning DVC and some of them working for Disney. He grew up staying DVC and wouldn't even consider staying offsite with us until about 2 years ago. He and my daughter had to stay with us one night before their DVC reservation started (his parents own) and he loved it so much, I booked it for them the following year. This past Fall we were unable to get the Sabal for them but we booked the Sheraton Vistana and he loved that also.

The Sabal is the same, with a very quite atmosphere..... sometimes you may even have the whole pool to yourself!

Probably about 5-7 minutes. You exit the Sabal parking lot, which is behind the World Center and walk toward the World fitness center, spa and West terrace spa pool, there's a path the runs along side of the spa pool and right to the large pool. There is a fitness center in the Sabal building, but I'm talking about the one right outside the World property. I’ll try to attach a map.

The Sabal doesn't have a restaurant. You would need to go to the World Center. There are also a lot of restaurants nearby on 535. Your condo will have a full size fridge and stove if you want to bring and or prepare food.

We drive, so we have a car, but we also use Uber and Lyft when we're in WDW. I *think* they might have a shuttle for a fee, but I wouldn't rely on that mode of transportation. JMO.

We like to stay in building 43, which is right next to the Sabal pool. The balconies in this building face the pool and are the only ones that do so. The buildings are two stories high and have steps to the second level, no elevator. We stay on the second floor so we don't hear the pitter patter of little feet above us, YMMV. They do some activities at the Sabal but you can also do the ones at the Imperial and Royal buildings too. (those two buildings share a pool and are closer to the main entrance)

I can't answer that, as it's a very personal idea of expectation and what you consider benefits and magic. It's not a Disney themed resort or rooms, but it's a very beautiful resort and high-end looking and experience. The rooms are HUGE! Especially the master bedroom and bathroom, with a multi jet glass block shower. The second bedroom has one full size bed and one single bed and there is also a pull out sofa in the living room. The second bathroom is attached and accessible from the hall or bedroom. If you can stay for free, there's nothing lost if you decide down the road that it's not where you like better than onsite.

HTH!

Sounds great -especially the part about the Sabal pool not being too hectic. This past summer the WL pool was insanely busy - even at night. And the ball throwing in the pool was out of control. Me and ds both got hit (and the rec. Dept was of little to no help.) Is there a lot of ball throwing in the Sabal pool?

Is there a lot of ball throwing in the Sabal pool?
We usually go in the Spring (late April-May) or Fall (September-October) and we have never encountered a very busy pool at the Sabal. There were times when we had the pool to ourselves. That's not to say that there isn't ball throwing in the pool...I think they have a basketball net.... but I've not seen hoards of kids throwing balls for hours or recklessly. I don't know if it's the times of year we go since kids are usually still in school, but even when there have been kids there they haven't been crazy. It really is a very quiet resort.

The World Center pool is enormous and has slides so a lot of people with younger kids go there and it can be more boisterous, but it's so huge it's very easy to get away from people who are playing. You can also visit the Spa pool, which is on the path to the World Pool and that pool is super quiet and they plan zen-like spa music over the speakers. I don't know if kids are allowed in that pool.

We have done the Marriott Sabal Palms, Royal Palms and Imperial Palms. If you want more room - do try to book the Imperial Palms - it is larger. It you can only get a two bedroom, the Royal Palms is more conveniently located (front of the resort, not the back). Also Sabal Palms has stairs and steps. Inside the unit or if you are placed on the second floor.

Here is youtube video I did on the Marriott Royal Palms.

Marriott Royal Palms Tour

We have done the Marriott Sabal Palms, Royal Palms and Imperial Palms. If you want more room - do try to book the Imperial Palms - it is larger. It you can only get a two bedroom, the Royal Palms is more conveniently located (front of the resort, not the back). Also Sabal Palms has stairs and steps. Inside the unit or if you are placed on the second floor.

Here is youtube video I did on the Marriott Royal Palms.

Marriott Royal Palms Tour

Thank you for providing this! We are staying at Royal Palms in a few weeks and the video is most helpful.

Are there restaurants in walking distance from there? We also have racked up a lot of Bonvoy points and considering a Bonvoy property this year.

Are there restaurants in walking distance from there? We also have racked up a lot of Bonvoy points and considering a Bonvoy property this year.
No, there's not. There is a restaurant onsite and some quick service options inside the World Center. There are a lot of Uber/Lyft around though, and Disney Springs and the restaurants on 535 are a very short ride.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter