First Time Studio Booking

CJGamer

Mouseketeer
Hi all, long time lurker on these boards, first time poster.
We have owned DVC since 2006, at Saratoga Springs. We generally come as 5-7 of us and book a 2 bedroom every other year. We can always get what we want at 7 months (summer) and have stayed in SS several times, SS (Treehouse), AKL, BC, and BW. However 2 bedrooms are pretty easy to book. We've done a one bedroom for a few short stays as well without issue.

This summer however will be different. For a variety of reasons, others in the family are taking different trips, and I'm going to do Disney with just my 10 year old daughter- a fun Daddy/Daughter trip. That means all we need is a studio. I'm fine with the adjustments that means- no laundry in the room, more eating out- simple food stuff in room rather than taco night, etc...

I've also decided to make this an opportunity to check out at least one new to us resort.

So- I originally booked 11 nights- at Saratoga Springs at my 11 month window. However, after deciding I'd want to possibly hit multiple resorts- I called and had them break it up as 4 nights, then 4 nights, then 3 nights.
So that's what I have right now- 4-4-3, all at SS. And honestly- if that's what I end up with- I'm perfectly happy with that. I think every resort on property is excellent in their own way.
However, what I would like is some split of Animal Kingdom Lodge Savanna, Poly Standard view, and Riviera. Backup would be Boardwalk for Riviera, and BLT for Poly.
I've been watching the bookings on the DVC site and a few things came out to me as I track what happens around 7 months. (My 7 month window is in 3 weeks).

This is where I want some advice, and/or confirmation.

!.) It appears that Poly is not a problem to get even a week or 2 after the 7 month window, is this correct?

2.) It also appears that for some reason- AKL Jambo is harder to get that Kildani? I assume this is because of the number of studios. We stayed at Kildani- and loved it. Only reason I'd rather have Jambo is that we will most likely be using The Mara for a few meals, so I figured that would be easier- but again- no issue either way- I just want a savanna view- as we did standard in our 2 Bedroom when we stayed there due to point constraints.

3.) Now, looking at Riviera- I'd love a tower studio, but recognize that won't happen. Honestly- a big part of wanting to stay at Riviera is I'd possibly like to buy 50-70 points as an add on basically just so my wife and I could do the tower studios if we want, or get a standard studio some point in the future- and I think 11 months may be the only way to do either once things have sold a lot. But I don't want to do that unless I've stayed first- and like the property and skyliner. It looks like my chances of getting a standard studio are pretty slim also as 2 of the 11 nights in my trip are already gone. However I could get a preferred view I think. I saw this morning at 9AM it was fully available. Now- 4 hours later the 18th is gone- but if I act fast, I can get it. Interestingly, Boardwalk is harder to get right now than Riv for June. We had no problem a few years ago but HS improvements I'm sure are the reason.

So, this is my thought- I am not sure if I want to try to get RIV for the first 4 days or the second 4 days. However- if I wait until the second 4, I may not get it. I think I should try to book that first 4. If I don't get it- Book Poly or AKL. If I do, keep it- and than make the same decision for the next 4 days- looking at what else is out there. And finally- the same thing on the last 3. I can Book RIV for the first 4. Than, I could book Riv for the second 4. Later that day, swap the first 4 into Poly. Then just simply book the last 3 into AKL- SAV once that window opens.

Also- I think "Worst Case Scenario" which is a stupid first world problem here- is I could end up just doing all 11 days at AKL Savanna Kildani- or split with SS. Which is laughably fantastic compared to just working all summer.

Is my thought structure correct, will this work?

BTW, since it's just the two of us- and we will have 10 park days- I'm going to do a few experiences that are cheaper and we will both enjoy (and not stuff my wife really wants to do) and utilize my dvc discount.
My thoughts are-
Magic Behind the Steam Trains (yes I know you don't ride the loop- but I've done that a lot)
Behind the Seeds at Epcot
Up close with Rhino's at AK (If I can't get that- Caring for Giants)
Any thoughts are concerns on any of these?

Thanks for reading!

Behind the Seeds is fun. We did it a few times because it is so cheap and you get a DVC discount on it, too. In fact, my son decided to study horticulture after all our Disney trips when he was a kid. He led a few of the Gardens of the World tours during Flower and Garden a few years ago. (he worked as a gardener at the MK for two years. then left to work on a Master in Landscape Architecture).

Wild Africa Trek is also a great tour. A bit more expensive, but so much fun.

And go for any studio you want. The only studio we like is OKW with two queen beds (we each get our own).

I would try for Rivera first. If you get it, but decide you’d rather have the second 4, then when that window opens, try for it then, and go back and modify first 4.

Just keep an eye on the availability of the other resorts so you can still get one of them if you do that plan.

And, as you go and get things booked, keep checking if you haven’t got exactly what you want. Things change so often, that I am having good luck this way and end up with what I want!

I love split stays. The day I have to change resorts, is a sleep in and pool morning. Check out at 11 and hit Disney springs for lunch and shopping..or if you decide to do a tour. By the time I am done, it is close to 4 and our rooms are usually ready.

This year, we had planned bowling or a movie, but ended up not needing to do it!

Up Close With Rhinos is amazing. We did it this past August and it was totally worth it. Seeing them just a couple feet away and able to touch them was extraordinary.

I agree - go for Riviera first, and don’t hesitate to waitlist. There’s a good chance that more declarations will be made between now and June, and you’ll get what you want including standard view. You could WL for standard view and for preferred view for the same dates, and if you get preferred view then WL again for standard view. You have nothing to lose!

BTW the Tower Studios only have one queen Murphy bed/sofa, no other sleeping surfaces - not sure you would be comfortable sharing with your daughter. They’re truly for couples (plus one infant in a pack’n’play), no more.

If I were you I would just do a 4/7 split stay. Unless you just love changing resorts, three times is a lot. Packing, unpacking, packing. It is a lot. I have done a split stay with numerous resorts, won't do that again though.

We try to do a new attraction every year as well. We just booked Caring for the Giants (Elephants) for next Sunday. It is a one hour close up, backstage experience . It is $30 pp (no tax). Two years ago we had Dinner with an Animal Expert at Kidani which was considerably more money, took time to get there and back and I wasn't crazy about the meal anyway though the talk was great.

To be efficient on our AK morning, I was able to book FP's for the four of us with an 8:30 am, 9:30 am (elephants), 10:30 am and 11:30 am and then lunch at Flametree BBQ so we are flexible and don't have to lose our minds to get to a DDP reservation! We find AK to lack attractions and dining that we would prefer, so this was a great way to round out a morning and back to OKW for a swim and a nap!

Thanks all.
Yeah- I want to do some of the bigger tours etc, but not stuff my wife wants to do with me. I think these 3 are ones my daughter and I would enjoy, and not take a full day.

As for the rooms- yes I am aware that 2 resort switches could be a lot- but with just two of us- I plan to pack a bag for each to make it easier.
Last year we did 3 days in Myrtle Beach (it's half way from home to Orlando), then 2 days at SSR, then a 3 night disney cruise, then 3 days at AKL- no parks other then moonlight magic at epcot. It was a bunch of changes- and it was 5 of us- and it was about the best trip we have ever had. We were nimble- not camped in with all kinds of stuff we didn't need- and really enjoyed ourselves more. I'll plan for the switch days to be flexible for a late check in.

OK, I think those of you commenting on the resort confirmed my concern. Grab Riviera first. I had not thought about wait-listing the standard view to save points if I grab preferred. That is a great suggestion. I have only used the wait-list once- that was when we stayed at beach club- and it worked perfectly as we got it about a month after wait-listing.

Thanks all.
Yeah- I want to do some of the bigger tours etc, but not stuff my wife wants to do with me. I think these 3 are ones my daughter and I would enjoy, and not take a full day.

As for the rooms- yes I am aware that 2 resort switches could be a lot- but with just two of us- I plan to pack a bag for each to make it easier.
Last year we did 3 days in Myrtle Beach (it's half way from home to Orlando), then 2 days at SSR, then a 3 night disney cruise, then 3 days at AKL- no parks other then moonlight magic at epcot. It was a bunch of changes- and it was 5 of us- and it was about the best trip we have ever had. We were nimble- not camped in with all kinds of stuff we didn't need- and really enjoyed ourselves more. I'll plan for the switch days to be flexible for a late check in.

OK, I think those of you commenting on the resort confirmed my concern. Grab Riviera first. I had not thought about wait-listing the standard view to save points if I grab preferred. That is a great suggestion. I have only used the wait-list once- that was when we stayed at beach club- and it worked perfectly as we got it about a month after wait-listing.

Just be careful if you book Preferred and WL Standard that you set the WL to expire at/before 31 days if not filled and also watch your banking deadline. Since Standard costs fewer points than Preferred, you want to be sure that if the WL fills you won’t have the extra points go in to Holding or be unbankable.

It appears that Poly is not a problem to get even a week or 2 after the 7 month window, is this correct?

Maybe not at your time of vacation, but this year I was totally unable to get poly at that point or beyond for my vacation, when in the past it’s been an option.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter