First time trip report 6/1-6/7

abcboys

DIS Veteran
Still trying to adjust to daily life after an amazing family vacation! I had planned my days well before I knew the opening of Galaxy's Edge and had already bought tickets. I was so scared after hearing reports of capacity closing and crazy crowds. When I saw the reports on Fri. 5/31 I hoped crowds would stay the same for us.

We arrived at LAX in the evening of 6/1. Summoned our Uber and were on our way to Tropicana Inn & Suites. My boys are 13 and 17 so they took turns sharing the pullout chair so they did not have to share a bed. They used the pool and hot tub just about every afternoon. Everything and everyone was nice. We headed to downtown disney and ate at Tortilla Joe's Taqueria. It was yummy with large portions big enough to share!

We are on central time so it was no problem for us to be up early on Sunday. My older son and I had done a lot of research and were prepared to get to the parks about an hour early. We were just a few people back from the front. We had printed out Disneyland Daily's schedule but we soon found out the crowds were not there so it wasn't really needed. Headed straight to Star Tours and from there continued to do most of the rides in the park excepet fantasyland. We purchased max pass but mostly didn't need it for the morning. We had a snack at Bengal Barbecue. We all just thought it was ok, but not our favorite. We headed out of the park around noon, had lunch at IHOP and swam and had naps (not me but everyone else). Why they were sleeping I kept an eye on my DL app and got us later afternoon fastpasses for Radiator Springs Racers, Soarin, and Toy Story Midway Mania. That was awesome having those set for the evening when it was a little more crowded! We ate at Flo's V8 Cafe. I mobile ordered and it was ready in about 5 minutes!

Mon. 6/3 we headed on a Hollywood/LA tour with Anaheim Tour Company. It was interesting but definitely a one and done for us.

Tues. 6/4 we used our Magic Morning entry (or is it EMH? I can't ever remember. lol) We were able to do most of the Fantasyland rides except for Peter Pan and Storyland Canal boats. The boys also road matterhorn agian (once was enough for DH and I) Crowds were still very low. Left the parks and ate at Mimi's Cafe down the street from our hotel. Went to the hotel for a swim and rest. Did like I did the first day and gathered fastpasses for DCA in the late afternoon. This time I got Radiator Springs Racers, Guardians, and Toy story.

Wed. 6/5 This was our "day off". Took the boys to Round 1 arcade and then decided to try In N Out Burger. It was good but to me a hamburger is a hamburger. lol. Then ubered to Huntington Beach Pier to do some fishing. The pier was nice, the bathrooms were disgusting. My oldest son does not like hamburgers so he ordered at Ruby's on the pier which is a good thing so we could use their bathrooms. We walked down to Pizza Press in the evening. It was just ok but not our favorite pizza we've had.

Thur 6/6 We decided we didn't really need to arrive an hour early anymore and were starting to wear down anyway. We started our day off in California Adventure about 20 minutes before park opening and hopped in line for Soarin. Got Max Pass and stated to book rides. We did Animation Academy and drew Mickey Mouse. I would have actually liked to go back and do another character but we never got around to it. We left around 3 to go back and rest. Our last ride was Grizzly River Run. Nobody got that wet. I got a few fastpasses for DL for the evening. We were ending our vacation with Hungry Bear Fantasmic Reservations. I ordered the BBQ chicken meal which was actually pretty good! It was a nice change from the normal greasy fast food fare. My family is more of junk food junkies so they ordered off the regular menu. DS 17 got the chicken sandwich and said it was good. DS 13 got the double cheesburger and ate it all and said it was good although DH got the same thing and only ate half because he said it wasn't very good so who knows? I tried their fries and they were hot and fresh. We rode a few rides that we had been unable to do and some repeats (BTMRR, storyland canal boats, the train, IJ) We mobile ordered a dole whip and went to the sitting place for Hungry Bear about 8:30. We were about 3 rows back. At first I wondered if it was worth paying $120 for mediocre food for this section but when I saw the show start and the fastpass people stand up and crowded in I thought yes. I don't even know how people in the back could see. The show was great! My 13 year old was tired and ready to go back but my 17 year old is all about the magic and also loved it! DS13 and DH left after the fireworks and DS17 and I stayed and shopped a little bit. Crowds were crazy at this time of night!

We had such a wonderful trip and it could not have gone any better! The low crowds were amazing! So amazing that when we saw the wait for goofy's sky school was 15 minutes, DS13 declared that too long and wanted to get a fastpass (which I couldn't because it was booked for something else) The longest we waited I think was 20 minutes for Mickey's fun wheel and maybe 15 minutes a few other times. That's it! Most rides were 5-10 minutes with a lot being practically walk on! Maxpass was awesome to use in the afternoon for when we went back in the evening.

All the castmembers were great! Never saw anyone that seemed less than happy.

Weather was awesome! Cool in the morning with clouds breaking for some afternoon sun.

Ubered back to LAX with no trouble. In through security in about 20 minutes. Got there extra early just in case but no troubles.

We rode Splash Mountain twice. First time we only got a little wet, the 2nd time we got soaked! My boys were sitting in the first 2 rows and were absolutely drenched!!

I think we really lucked out with the crowds and it was an awesome family vacation!

Thanks for your great trip report!
I've never been to Disneyland, but hope to next spring.
I wonder why the crowds are so low, even with SW opening? Did you get to go to SWGE?
It sounds like a perfect trip.

Thanks for the detailed report. We're headed to DLR Thursday afternoon to spend Friday - Sunday at the parks. I imagine the crowds will be a little heavier this next weekend than they were on 6/2, but still hoping they're light. Biggest challenge will be getting my wife to the park early. She is NOT a morning person, but the kids (4 and 9) and I are. Was rope drop ok, or were people acting like it was the running of the bulls?

Thanks for your great trip report!
I've never been to Disneyland, but hope to next spring.
I wonder why the crowds are so low, even with SW opening? Did you get to go to SWGE?
It sounds like a perfect trip.
I did try to get GE reservations but by the time I was able to get on all of the reservations for our days were gone. It's ok, because I don't really care about Star Wars. Lol

I truly think the crowds were low because a lot of people got scared away by the talk of huge crowds. I know we almost did except we were locked in. I'm so glad we went!

Thanks for the detailed report. We're headed to DLR Thursday afternoon to spend Friday - Sunday at the parks. I imagine the crowds will be a little heavier this next weekend than they were on 6/2, but still hoping they're light. Biggest challenge will be getting my wife to the park early. She is NOT a morning person, but the kids (4 and 9) and I are. Was rope drop ok, or were people acting like it was the running of the bulls?
People were "walking with purpose" including my boys. We couldn't keep up with them but it honestly wasn't necessary. We never encountered any lines at either security or either entrance. There really wasn't a need to line up an hour early unless you just want to be at the front of rope drop. 30 minutes would have been enough to be fine. (You'll be a little further back in line) Luckily the 2 hour time difference worked in our favor. I hope you have the same luck with crowds!

People were "walking with purpose" including my boys. We couldn't keep up with them but it honestly wasn't necessary. We never encountered any lines at either security or either entrance. There really wasn't a need to line up an hour early unless you just want to be at the front of rope drop. 30 minutes would have been enough to be fine. (You'll be a little further back in line) Luckily the 2 hour time difference worked in our favor. I hope you have the same luck with crowds!
Thanks for the tip. We'll plan on getting there 30min early with breakfast snacks. My wife will be somewhat relieved, but it will still be a struggle.

What did you get at bengal bbq?

You visited the most expensive IHOP in the US. 😂 Why did you go there and Mimi’s? Park food is better IMO and not any more expensive. Just curious.

What did you get at bengal bbq?

You visited the most expensive IHOP in the US. 😂 Why did you go there and Mimi’s? Park food is better IMO and not any more expensive. Just curious.
The day we stopped at IHOP we were going to stop at Plaza Inn but they weren't open for lunch time yet (we did end up going there on a different day and sharing fried chicken meals) It was literally the next closest restaurant outside the park. Lol. Mimis was pretty good also. I forgot we went to Tortilla Joe's Taqueria twice! My boys loved the nachos from there.

At Bengal we shared the skewer of sweet beef and a tiger tail breadstick. I thought it was ok but no one loved it.

The day we stopped at IHOP we were going to stop at Plaza Inn but they weren't open for lunch time yet (we did end up going there on a different day and sharing fried chicken meals) It was literally the next closest restaurant outside the park. Lol. Mimis was pretty good also. I forgot we went to Tortilla Joe's Taqueria twice! My boys loved the nachos from there.

At Bengal we shared the skewer of sweet beef and a tiger tail breadstick. I thought it was ok but no one loved it.
The breadsticks are worthless IMO. No substance and not really tasty. 🤷‍♀️ I know others like them.

Sorry plaza inn was closed. Glad you got to go there eventually!

If you ever go back I highly recommend French market, and in DCA boardwalk pizza and pasta.

As for In N Out, in my opinion what makes them special is the fries. I'm addicted to them. And be careful ordering Animal Fries...you may never be able to stop craving them. I'm with you on the burgers though, even the best burgers don't impress me that much!

I'm glad you had such a great trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter