First time Universal trip

Dean1953

DIS Veteran
Several years ago, I bought several multi day (4 days for the price of three; single park admittance) through Undercover Tourist with the intention of using them while on one of our Disney trips. They haven't been used yet but, as my son is 11, Disney doesn't have the same attraction that it once had (probably because he went for 5 weeks last summer and 2 weeks at Christmas). We are planning on going from May 27-June 23, when our Disney AP's expire. I was going to use the multi day tickets then but am planning another trip just before Halloween and decided to upgrade to Universal AP's soon after May 27. I'll get either the AP for around $460 or the one for $660 (since I get a Halloween party ticket with it).
My plan is to go to a Disney park in the morning, take a 4 hour break and go to Universal after 4, when one time EP is available. There will be days that we spend at Disney entirely, and the same for Universal (and days with no parks). Is this plan feasible? I'll get a crash course over the next several months, reading as many posts as I can on this thread. We will be staying at timeshares and will have our car for the 4 weeks.
In October, we will stay for 6 days, staying at DVC resorts (mainly BLT) but want to go to the Halloween party, probably at both Universal and Disney. I was thinking about going to Universal October 24 for the day and staying for the Halloween party that night. It's Wednesday, which hopefully means smaller crowds. My only concern is going to the Universal Halloween party before Disney's. Would the Disney party seem lame after seeing Universal's? Any suggestions for a first timer would be appreciated!

Just keep an eye on closing times. You might not get much done after 4.

Universal's party is very different than Disney's...no haunted houses as Disney!

My son will be 11 by next October. I know that Universal's recommended minimum age is 13 but, except for killer clowns, not much scares him. I did show him around 20 pictures from last year's party and they didn't scare him. I don't know the next time after this coming October when we will be in Orlando, so I'd rather do both this time. I just haven't decided which one I'll do first.

My son will be 11 by next October. I know that Universal's recommended minimum age is 13 but, except for killer clowns, not much scares him. I did show him around 20 pictures from last year's party and they didn't scare him. I don't know the next time after this coming October when we will be in Orlando, so I'd rather do both this time. I just haven't decided which one I'll do first.

They are totally different. At WDW, you still do most of the same things you usually do and collect candy. At Universal, the rides are really secondary and it is about the houses and the scare factor.

It really wouldn't make any difference which you did first.

You might want to avoid the Simpsons area during HHN :)

Yes there have been scary killer clowns around for a couple of years now......they are relentless.

It`s also very adult orientated, not just the scary factor.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!