First Time Vacationing with Dogs

I have never taken my dogs to WDW. Since they started allowing pets I have considered bringing the dogs but always ultimately decided to leave them with a sitter. However, I don't think that it's a terrible idea to take them with you as long as you realize that you will be losing some park time to take care of your dogs. If you take them to BF then you'll have travel time every day to drop them off and pick them up. If I were going to take my dogs then I would consider going on a slightly shorter trip and staying at Yacht Club. You wouldn't have to take the dogs to BF because you can just walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. That would make it easier to go to the room three or four times per day to let them out. We go back to the room several times per day even without the dogs so this wouldn't be a big stretch. Take a Minnie Van to other parks instead of waiting on a bus and you shouldn't have too much trouble getting back to the room fairly often even when you visit MK or AK. My dogs only need to go out every six or seven hours so they would be fine. I'm not sure if the dogs have to be in a kennel when you are not in the room.

We are totally not social butterflies, to put it lightly. =oP I work from home, so I'm basically half hermit. My husband and I aren't very normal, to say the least, since we do keep to ourselves. And my husband doesn't hate the boarding place, he just hates the fact that we aren't home with our dogs, and are instead out of town. The place is wonderful, and know our dogs by name and are super friendly.

I'm surprised there hasn't been even one comment of someone saying they actually take their dog to Disney World. I almost feel bad now for even thinking of it, to be honest. I just thought it would be nice to have the doggies with us. I also didn't realize the dog-friendlyness was a trial run (although I did read it in another post, I didn't really grasp it). I didn't find the initial dog FAQs in my first quick-look on the forums, but will keep looking.

:welcome:to the DISboards!

Please don't feel like you shouldn't have posted, you raised some very good questions and generated an interesting discussion that was different from our usual dog-related threads.

I'm not a dog owner (though I have been an Aunt to several Very Good Dogs), but I would say that the four Disney resorts that now allow dogs aren't exactly dog-friendly, but more "dog-tolerant." Do take a look at our FAQ thread up at the top of this board and check out the rules for where dogs are and aren't allowed on resort property. It also concerns me that you say they're super-excitable, as the resorts won't tolerate excessive noise from the dogs, whether you're in the room or not. If you're at one of the evening events and the dogs start barking, you'll be required to return to the resort within 30 minutes, which ain't easy.

I agree with the poster who said that a Fort Wilderness cabin might be a better fit for you, especially since there's a dog park right at the resort.

I don't want to be discouraging, but I think 16 days at WDW would not be my choice of a first vacation with a couple of dogs who are excitable and not used to travel. Some dogs are great travelers, some...aren't, and it would be pretty awful to realize three days into a 16 day trip that it's not working and you need to go home. I strongly recommend that you try some shorter trips at hotels closer to home just to see how they do and get them used to overnight stays in strange places.

You've noticed that we don't get a lot of posts about bringing dogs to WDW, and that's probably because a WDW vacation is generally focused on activities you can't do with your dog - theme parks, recreational activities, shopping, dining. Dogs aren't allowed in any of those places. There just isn't much to do with a dog at WDW besides have it in your resort room or walk it in a designated area at the resort. The dog-friendly resort policy and the Best Friends kennel are intended more as a convenience for guests who don't have options for boarding or pet-sitting at home, not really as a "hey, bring your pupper to Disney and have fun vacationing with your dog!" kind of thing.

The other issue is the walking that you mentioned. WDW is not at all like Disneyland. It's theme parks and very large resorts connected by high-speed highways without sidewalks; guests ride buses, monorails or boats to get from place to place (none of which allow dogs). Of course, you'll have your car, so it's easier to get around, but still, there's nowhere you can really walk to from AoA.

It's your call, and again, I hate to be a downer. Maybe they'll turn out to be happy little travelers.

I agree with pp that if you are set on doing this you should do some trial runs with shorter stays in a hotel with them.

Being your first time to Disney I wouldn't want to make this your first time traveling with your dogs as well since you really have no idea what to expect for both reasons. I would board them or find a sitter. They will be absolutely fine. And then you can determine if you go again whether or not to give it a try.

Honestly, I'm baffled by the fact they even allow dogs at Disney resorts. Because as mentioned, the focus is not on things you can do with your dog. A week camping trip, sure. Your dog can be with you pretty much all day and evening. But going to theme parks and restaurants and shows, or the hotel pool, a dog can't be with you for any of those things. And it seems like more stress on them to go back and forth each day for 2 weeks from a kennel to a resort both of which are unknowns to them.

It sounds like fun because you love your dogs, but it's a lot of effort and work and can be very stressful for them.

Last edited:
I hope I'm putting this post in the right spot. My first post! Plus my first visit to this forum. I look forward to exploring! I did try to search a little to see if there could be relevant posts to my concerns, but didn't dig too far just yet.

This will be a long post! And I apologize for that. I am a super planner, first of all. Right now, I'm planning on a 16-day trip to Disney World with my husband (no kids) for November 2019. And I want to bring our two dogs. This will be our very first trip to Disney World, and I'm hoping 16 days is enough to relax, take our time, enjoy ourselves, and do most of what I'd like to experience. Most of all, this will be our first vacation with our dogs.

I know this will be a daunting task, and I'm hoping to reduce stress on myself and my dogs. They love adventures, but we've only been on day-trips and nothing major.

A little background:
Both of our dogs will be 4 years old November 2019, and both are rescues. Our biggest is 90 pounds, and the small guy is 50 pounds. Their behavior at this time is 'super excite-able'. We haven't had much time to do training, we know we need help, and trust me when I say that training is going to be starting within the month to prepare. It's been a long time coming, anyway. Our dogs are okay with meeting new people, but meeting dogs is a whole different story. They absolutely love meeting new dogs, and they become hard to handle (and they make very loud, uncomfortable sounds) when they are with my husband and I. We do board them for small trips and they do go to doggie daycare, and they are perfectly fine as long as they are not playing in the same play yard together (since our small guy is a bully when his brother is around). I've tried training myself, and tried exposing them to as much as possible, but I just don't have the know-how.

Of course, even after training, if they aren't able to contain their excitement, we know that taking them on vacation will not be the best idea. I hate to leave them for such a long period of time in a kennel, and may cut the vacation short because of this, but I'd like to at least put some effort into opening up a whole new world to vacationing with our dogs.

Anyway! I'm looking for those who have been to Disney World for more than seven days total with their dog. What are things you wish you would have done, or things you wish you didn't do? Does Best Friends close when the park closes normally, or does it stay open when there are special events after hours?

I've looked on Disney's website, and there are four resorts that allow pets, which is awesome! We will most likely be staying at Art of Animation if we do stay for 16 days, just to save my wallet. How did you enjoy this resort with your dog?

My current plan is that they will be in doggie daycare with Best Friends, but be able to spend the morning and evenings with us at the resort, and if there are times we're able to take them out for a couple of hours in the middle of the day. They will not be staying in the room by themselves hardly ever, just because that's super boring. There are a couple of after hour events that I'd like to attend, and our dogs may have to stay in the room for a couple of hours by themselves during the evening if Best Friends is closed during those events.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions and concerns later, but I've only been thinking about this for two days (I strongly obsess). Just looking for others who have been with their doggies (preferably big dogs) and how they've enjoyed it, or didn't enjoy it. I just don't want my dogs to think we've abandoned them while I'm on my dream vacation.

Are you looking specifically for Disney World tips, or just general thoughts? I've never gone to Disney World (with dogs or otherwise), but I've traveled with one (in the photo) quite a bit, and added his brother to our journeys as well. Happy to share if you'd like it.

Welcome.
I'll start off by saying I'm a huge pet rescue fan and even not in the anti-pet policy at Disney camp.
That said, I'm not sure I'd ever bring our pet to Disney as I don't think it's a fun or fair trip for him. Even if I wanted to drive 8, 9 hours in a car he doesn't. And he sure doesn't want to sit around that long in a hotel room while we are off having fun. He'd rather have fun in the kennel facility he knows. It's so out of his environment it's only going to amp up his stress levels. And he isn't a high stress dog. He's pretty laid back.
I do take it though, that if you can't get them under better control, you don't plan to take them, right?
We've been taking our guy (an 85 lb mutt, 1 yr old now) to training since he was old enough to go. Started with Puppy Headstart. He's still a handfull, mostly due to his size and strength. With a good portion of husky in him, he's built to pull and pull he does.
Anyway, you are trying to do too many firsts with your guys. Your first trip to Disney and your first vacation with them and a long one at that. Do you take them to a trainer? If not do. If you do, talk to the trainer about your plans. Get their advice.
If you are intent to take them you need a recon trip there first, without them, to get a lay of the land. Know what you are in for, and they are in for. It's a stressful trip. Your stress levels will go up more than you can imagine. And they will sense this.
Our guy loves going to board. He boards at our vet's office and he loves the tech that takes care of the animals that are boarding. They've been watching him since he was 4 months old, when we had our first trip to Disney after adopting him actually. Or where he can go for Doggy Daycare, they offer boarding overnight. Have you gone around to check out the various places that offer boarding? Heck, Best Friends is a chain. There may be one in your town and you can board them right at a Best Friends there and not take them to a Best Friends at Disney.

The post below mirrors many of the same exact thoughts I had reading your posts. Especially the bold
:welcome:to the DISboards!

Please don't feel like you shouldn't have posted, you raised some very good questions and generated an interesting discussion that was different from our usual dog-related threads.

I'm not a dog owner (though I have been an Aunt to several Very Good Dogs), but I would say that the four Disney resorts that now allow dogs aren't exactly dog-friendly, but more "dog-tolerant." Do take a look at our FAQ thread up at the top of this board and check out the rules for where dogs are and aren't allowed on resort property. It also concerns me that you say they're super-excitable, as the resorts won't tolerate excessive noise from the dogs, whether you're in the room or not. If you're at one of the evening events and the dogs start barking, you'll be required to return to the resort within 30 minutes, which ain't easy.

I agree with the poster who said that a Fort Wilderness cabin might be a better fit for you, especially since there's a dog park right at the resort.

I don't want to be discouraging, but I think 16 days at WDW would not be my choice of a first vacation with a couple of dogs who are excitable and not used to travel. Some dogs are great travelers, some...aren't, and it would be pretty awful to realize three days into a 16 day trip that it's not working and you need to go home. I strongly recommend that you try some shorter trips at hotels closer to home just to see how they do and get them used to overnight stays in strange places.

You've noticed that we don't get a lot of posts about bringing dogs to WDW, and that's probably because a WDW vacation is generally focused on activities you can't do with your dog - theme parks, recreational activities, shopping, dining. Dogs aren't allowed in any of those places. There just isn't much to do with a dog at WDW besides have it in your resort room or walk it in a designated area at the resort. The dog-friendly resort policy and the Best Friends kennel are intended more as a convenience for guests who don't have options for boarding or pet-sitting at home, not really as a "hey, bring your pupper to Disney and have fun vacationing with your dog!" kind of thing.

The other issue is the walking that you mentioned. WDW is not at all like Disneyland. It's theme parks and very large resorts connected by high-speed highways without sidewalks; guests ride buses, monorails or boats to get from place to place (none of which allow dogs). Of course, you'll have your car, so it's easier to get around, but still, there's nowhere you can really walk to from AoA.

It's your call, and again, I hate to be a downer. Maybe they'll turn out to be happy little travelers.

We board our dogs at our vets. They know their medications and what they need. Plus if they get sick, the vet is right there. Our cats can stay alone for a few days so our trips are shorter now. We used to go for 7-10 nights and board all four with the vets. Our bill at the vet's office was usually more than our bill from Disney (we have DVC points to book our rooms).

We love our pets and totally understand your dilemma. I also work from home and get the introverted thing.

You have got some great advice here, I would agree with using your pet boarding facility.

I also agree that your Vet will have the names of some great people that they use to help with their kennels. My DD was one for years. She did a lot of dog sitting in high school with recommendations from her Vet.

Welcome to the boards and with your trip! :dog2::dog2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter