First Time Volunteer at Give Kids the World. Questions.

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
I am hoping to have my family volunteer at Give Kids the World on our next Orlando trip in July. I need to know how much time to plan. We will have to do orientation, since we have never volunteered there before. I saw the paper work online, so I will fill that out. My question is how long is the orientation. Would we be able to do the orientation and volunteer in the same day? Are the volunteer slots 4 hours? Thanks

Hey! I've been volunteering there for a few years now! It's such a great opportunity to give back, and so much fun!

If I remember right, orientation takes 4-6 hours. I don't remember since it's been so long. Once that's done, you can ask if there's anything open for you and your family to do that afternoon/evening. They have shifts as early as like, 6 or 7 in the morning and late as midnight. The hours vary based on what you're doing during your shift. And you can pick up several shifts a day if you want!

The main thing I did was volunteer on Wednesday or Saturday for the horse rides. A retired couple brings two horses that are therapy trained so that every child has the opportunity to ride a horse if they want. That shift is usually 8-11 if I remember right. They ask that you show up a little early so they can train you on what you're doing for the shift.

It's so much fun, you and your family will love it!

I'm not seeing where it says that it takes several hours for the orientation. Also, the second link you provided is not accessible from their main page. How did you find it? The following link is the only one that I have found accessible from their webpage. Also, have you volunteered? Could you give me or your first hand experiences? This wouldn't be the only time that we volunteer. We live out of state, but we go to WDW and Universal Orlando 2 or more times a year. We have 2 trips planned next year, during which I would like us to volunteer, and I would like to continue volunteering on subsequent trips. Thanks

https://www.gktw.org/volunteer/
This page lists this info about orientation and volunteering if you live out of state.
Volunteer Orientation: volunteers that live within 90 miles of the Village must attend an orientation session. If you live outside of the 90 mile radius you will receive an orientation upon checking in the first day of your volunteer experience.

So it works much differently for out of state volunteers. You won’t be required to do orientation. You will be able to jump in with a shift or two. Each shift is 3-4 hours long and there are a variety of things to do. Each shift overlaps with the previous shift a little bit to allow time to train someone who has never done that particular job before. Fill out the application and they will get in touch with you. They can schedule as far as 6 months out and the sooner you schedule the easier it is to find something that fits the timeframe you were looking for.

So it works much differently for out of state volunteers. You won’t be required to do orientation. You will be able to jump in with a shift or two. Each shift is 3-4 hours long and there are a variety of things to do. Each shift overlaps with the previous shift a little bit to allow time to train someone who has never done that particular job before. Fill out the application and they will get in touch with you. They can schedule as far as 6 months out and the sooner you schedule the easier it is to find something that fits the timeframe you were looking for.

Great! Thanks! That's exactly the info I needed.

We had a group do it last January and we were from all over North America. The sign-in and orientation at the volunteer check-in last about 30 to 45 minutes. We all worked breakfast in the cafeteria and that orientation took another 15 minutes.

The shifts are all 4 hours.

We had a group do it last January and we were from all over North America. The sign-in and orientation at the volunteer check-in last about 30 to 45 minutes. We all worked breakfast in the cafeteria and that orientation took another 15 minutes.

The shifts are all 4 hours.
Kitchen might be, but village shuttle shift was 3.5 hours. I've had one attractions operator shift that was 3.5 hours and one that was 3. Ice cream palace was 3.5, so it really does depend. The kitchen has the largest need, so depending on the size of the family that may be where they put the OP.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!