first time with a walker.

luv that cruise

<font color=royalblue>Someone give me instructions
I'm falling apart and life in the park would be easier with a walker I can lean on or sit on in line. Simple walker with front wheels, no breaks. rides that are big steps such as space mountain, test track, rock-n-roller coaster are out. debating on splash mountain. rides like people mover I can fold it and take it with me. rides like buzz light year - I am thinking it is light weight and the ride operator can hand it to the exit attendant. I can get thru the parks without it but would have to stop and rest a lot. Is it worth the trouble to bring it?

Yes. Bring it, if you think it will help!

Are you considering a Rollator (which has a seat, and often storage underneath) or a standard walker, which is typically a u-shaped frame that can fold down to a rectangle?

I only ask because you mention a seat - and most "walkers" don't have a seat, so if you are planning on buying or renting, you might want to search for a "rollator" which is a common term. Lots of Rollators do come with hand brakes as a standard feature, but unless you are planning on running with it 🤣 I think you might not ever use or need the brakes! 🙂

Might not hurt to have the phone number for an ECV rental vendor or two in your phone, just in case you need to rent a scooter after all. The *average* WDW Guest walks between 3 & 10 miles *per day*.

I travel with a rollator. Honestly if your thinking with a walker I would just get the rollator. The things are not that heavy. You get a storage pouch and a seat. Along with the bonuses of it being a walker. Also you may think your okay without breaks but I like the safety precaution of being able to turn mine on if I have to walk away from it. Does it make it impossible to move? No. Does it make it less likely for someone who isn’t me or someone I trust to mess with it? Yes.

Also most of the time with the CMs in my experience. They’ll ask you to park it shortly before loading and then the CMs will have it waiting for you easily when you get off.

And as MamaBunny said a standard walker won’t have a seat. If you really want to have a seat ready get the rollator. Getting mine was a godsend and some part of me wishes I had done it sooner.

Basically, the walker/rollators are treated like wheelchairs or EVC. My sister did one trip with a rollator back when they were not as known. We were directed to follow the same directions as other mobility devices.

My mom recently went to a memory care unit and after a cardiac surgery they PT wanted her to use a regular walker that than a rollator so I went and got her one, They had a regular rectangular walker with a seat (something I had not see before). Less bulky than a rollator. I feel like the rollator is more like a wheelchair and WDW is already too crowded with those and I know hard to navigate in crowds. I feel like I am too young for a walker - 56 - but I have advanced neuropathy in my feet and walking is getting harder and harder. I think I am going to give it a try on the first day and see how it works out,

My mother used a rollator on our last trip, and will use it again on our upcoming trip. Our last trip was the week between Christmas and New Years and she had no trouble navigating through the parks. On our longer days or for the World Showcase we did rent a Disney manual wheelchair and they stored the rollator. It was definitely worth having and I recommend that you do bring one if you think it would be helpful. It was much easier for my mom to walk in the park with the assistance, and it was great to just sit whenever/wherever without looking for a bench. Also, the storage under the seat was really useful for her. On the busses you use the backdoor just like the wheelchairs. I believe we did fold it up on the bus when one of us was with her assisting to make more room but several times she rode by herself and I don't think she had to fold it up as that would have been hard for her to do by herself. It was really easy at the rides, at the entrance a CM would take the rollator and when we got off at the exit the rollator was waiting for her. If I'm remembering correctly on People Mover we parked it with the wheelchairs, I don't think it was allowed on the moveable sidewalk, but my recollection could be faulty. If you think it will make your park experience more enjoyable take one it really was not a hinderance in any way.

Might not hurt to have the phone number for an ECV rental vendor or two in your phone, just in case you need to rent a scooter after all. The *average* WDW Guest walks between 3 & 10 miles *per day*.

Also, some Scooter Rental Companies offer a Walker Holder as an option. (Idk if that’ll work for Rollators though, you’d have to ask em.)

You do need the brakes when you're sitting.
LOL This body does not run anymore. I think I have found the perfect walker - not too bulky but with the option to sit in line if I need it. there are 10 in our party and I bet we take turns sitting in line. the thought of carrying my day bag in the walker basket is making me physically more comfot
rable. One thing I am really wanting to do this trip is to buy a large mug and drink as much water as possible. I prefer water poured over ice so hopefully places that sell bottle water will fill my mug with ice. I know the carts have non-potable ice so I know I will need to find places that serve fountain drinks.

I prefer water poured over ice so hopefully places that sell bottle water will fill my mug with ice. I know the carts have non-potable ice so I know I will need to find places that serve fountain drinks.
Skip the carts. Counter service locations will provide a cup of ice water free of charge, and you may take as many as you need (to fill a larger insulated mug).

Enjoy your vacation!

Don’t feel bad about age and walker/rollator. I got mine at 41. Walk with your head high! You are out and about!

My mom recently went to a memory care unit and after a cardiac surgery they PT wanted her to use a regular walker that than a rollator so I went and got her one, They had a regular rectangular walker with a seat (something I had not see before). Less bulky than a rollator. I feel like the rollator is more like a wheelchair and WDW is already too crowded with those and I know hard to navigate in crowds. I feel like I am too young for a walker - 56 - but I have advanced neuropathy in my feet and walking is getting harder and harder. I think I am going to give it a try on the first day and see how it works out,

Hun, you think you're too young well I just turned 30 two weeks ago. I've had my rollator since shortly after my 27th birthday (got it about a month after). I have a close friend whose about several months older who uses a wheelchair to get around. Disabilities and illnesses don't particularly care what age you are other than maybe making it slightly more or less likely for them to occur. Just because you're more likely to have problems as you age does not mean you might not have them when you're younger.

I know you probably didn't mean to come off this way. But the way its phrased makes it sound a bit like disabilities and chronic illnesses and thus the need for a mobility aid are just an 'old people problem'. I've been fighting to get a diagnosis behind my chronic balance and gait problems for so long I'm not even sure when I started fighting to be honest. And again I just turned 30.

I get being self-conscious about having one. Trust me it took me a while to get more comfortable with traveling with mine. It doesn't help that I'm an AWD (athlete with disability) marathoner adding to the self-consciousness (I'm pretty sure I had a deer in the headlights look at the suggestion of bringing my rollator with me to the start area last year, looking back I wish I had brought it sooner but again I was worried about silent judgment). But don't let you being 'too young' stop you from using it. Especially when there are people two decades younger then you using them. Most people won't even notice it, to the point where it can, in fact, get kind of annoying with people cutting you off,

Last edited:
I'm 37 and also have peripheral neuropathy in my legs. I totally get how hard it is to use medical devices in the beginning. It can be a shock to the ego, and it is a pretty big mind shift to learn not to push your body harder than it's capable of going.

For what it's worth, I can get by doing Disney with a cane/walker, but I much prefer an ECV to preserve my energy and allow me to better keep up with people. I quickly got over using medical devices at Disney, because I realized how much more I can do with it than without. I hope you have a magical vacation!

I'm an old rabbit now, but I remember the shock - and grief - when I realized I had to use an assistive device for the first time. And I flat out cried on the trip where I finally broke down and rented an ECV.

I don't have to *like* it - and I don't - but if I have to use a personal mobility device, I will because the alternative (for me) sucks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!