First time with allergies, nerves

Sundowner2

Mouseketeer
I could use any advice. This will be our first trip there with food allergies. My 6 year old is now allergic to peanuts, avoids treenuts, and we plan to avoid ANY legumes where there, just in case there's a surprise so we don't have a reaction.

I've done loads of research ,and joined allergy fb groups, but don't see much for quick service, which is our usual choice.

We go in June, I am bringing lots of snacks, some treaks, (ordered a case of OMG brownies that he loves and they no longer carry) I understand soft serve, shaved ice or icees, Mickey Pretzels and the regular chicken nuggets and fries and pizza should all be safe (checking the binders, of course) any other advice? It has been tough, he used to adore the big cupcakes. His 12 year old brother has no allergies, and I can't help but feel a little guilty he might have to give up a little of that, unless he and dad can slip away for a while I've been making copycats at home and told them whatever they see, we will take pictures of and make at home, but I hate the idea if my 6 year old getting disappointed. I admit, spent a small fortune of rings to put on top of mini cupcakes if I can't find safe big ones, to bring too, in our cooler.

Any ideas? Ir is my plan okay, so far? We leave in 46 days.

A friend of mine has a daughter with severe allergies and when they go to Disney, they often talk to the chef and he or she will make a special meal that is allergy free. This might be mostly at TS restaurants but I'd say if you have any questions, ask the Chef.

I know it can be a pain and slow things down, but do speak to the chef, even about desserts. Besides the binders not always being 100% up-to-date, the chef can sometimes make something special that is not listed on the allergy menus. Just be clear that it is an actual allergy when speaking to them, as prep and everything will have to be different.

My daughter has a peanut/tree nut allergies as well. We noted it on the reservation and the wait staff always mentioned it when we were at Table Service. The chef also came out a couple times. We have had good luck in the past with Flame Tree BBQ, Columbia House, Be Our Guest(lunch), Cosmic Rays, Yorkshire Fish for Quick Service.

It has been tough, he used to adore the big cupcakes. His 12 year old brother has no allergies, and I can't help but feel a little guilty he might have to give up a little of that, unless he and dad can slip away for a while I've been making copycats at home and told them whatever they see, we will take pictures of and make at home, but I hate the idea if my 6 year old getting disappointed.

Maybe try diverting attention to something different other than cupcakes. There are so many different treats available that there must be some that are safe and tasty. I go every time with a list of different treats to have and just simply never get to them all. There's definitely more than cupcakes for treats. Use this as an opportunity to give him an opportunity to pick something new (after you've first checked them out). None of my allergies are life threatening but they are very, very unpleasant so I have to be careful and I find that Disney is very good although you still have to exercise your own judgement as always. Do a search online about Disney treats and you'll find a plethora of options. Maybe make a game of it - one special treat per park so that he forgets about the big cupcakes.

Maybe try diverting attention to something different other than cupcakes. There are so many different treats available that there must be some that are safe and tasty. I go every time with a list of different treats to have and just simply never get to them all. There's definitely more than cupcakes for treats. Use this as an opportunity to give him an opportunity to pick something new (after you've first checked them out). None of my allergies are life threatening but they are very, very unpleasant so I have to be careful and I find that Disney is very good although you still have to exercise your own judgement as always. Do a search online about Disney treats and you'll find a plethora of options. Maybe make a game of it - one special treat per park so that he forgets about the big cupcakes.

I'm allergic to peanuts and wheat and do fine with Dole Whips and Mickey Bars.

My daughter was so happy on our last trip when we went to breakfast at Chef Mickey's. There were so many more things that were safe for her than our previous trips. They seem to be doing a lot more baking in a safe Disney bakery. They give you a print-out that covers all of the common allergens.

DD12 is deathly allergic to peanuts and tree nuts. She was diagnosed when she was 4, just a couple months before our next trip. I was really nervous because this was a whole new world to us, but for the most part, Disney is really great with this stuff.

I made sure the allergy was noted on all of our ADRs, I spoke to hostesses, servers, and/or chefs in many cases. At quick service, managers and staff have always been able to answer any questions and in many cases, they've bent over backwards to ensure my daughter had safe food. I was doing the deluxe plan, so I didn't want to bring outside food, but we never really needed it. Even after the advent of the allergy menus, we've had chefs go out of their way to get her things like safe desserts if there's nothing ok for her on the normal menu and buffets.

You are right that quick service is harder. My family prefers a table service a day because of the allergy issue. We usually do breakfast in the room and my allergy kiddo tends to eat lightly at quick service, just fries, for example. The table service meals are always great and fill her up and feel special. I would recommend knowing the quick service menus really well, so you know your options. Be careful with the “allergy friendly” treats. We have the same allergies as you, and our only reactions at Disney were to Enjoy Life items. (A new allergy presenting itself. Their products had ingredients we don’t typically eat, and a reaction followed.) good Luck! Your kiddo will still have a great trip.

Did your allergist test for tree nuts and legumes?

Like others said, Disney is great about food allergies. The CMs are super careful about it. At some of the quick service locations, we have to wait for a manager to put our order in because DD has a peabut allergy. At buffets, a chef typically walks us around to each dish and tells us what is and isn't safe. Everywhere we dine on property, a CM offers to bring out a chef to speak with us. One of the reasons we love vacationing at Disney is because we feel so safe with feeding DD(6) who had her first peanut reaction when she was 1.

But my best advice is, keep your benadryl and epipens handy. Always carry 2 pens, because sometimes there can be a secondary reaction, and don't hesitate to call for emergency help if you are at all concerned. You never know when you will have an accidental exposure so it is so important to have the epipens readily available.

Did your allergist test for tree nuts and legumes?

Like others said, Disney is great about food allergies. The CMs are super careful about it. At some of the quick service locations, we have to wait for a manager to put our order in because DD has a peabut allergy. At buffets, a chef typically walks us around to each dish and tells us what is and isn't safe. Everywhere we dine on property, a CM offers to bring out a chef to speak with us. One of the reasons we love vacationing at Disney is because we feel so safe with feeding DD(6) who had her first peanut reaction when she was 1.

But my best advice is, keep your benadryl and epipens handy. Always carry 2 pens, because sometimes there can be a secondary reaction, and don't hesitate to call for emergency help if you are at all concerned. You never know when you will have an accidental exposure so it is so important to have the epipens readily available.

We have not been tested on legumes (told to avoid) and whenever my son has a may contain treenuts he says he feels funny. Hoping in September to get some answers on that. Small town, only one allergist. :(

We plan to carry 2 sets, and hopefully not need them!!! I am glad they are so careful!

You are right that quick service is harder. My family prefers a table service a day because of the allergy issue. We usually do breakfast in the room and my allergy kiddo tends to eat lightly at quick service, just fries, for example. The table service meals are always great and fill her up and feel special. I would recommend knowing the quick service menus really well, so you know your options. Be careful with the “allergy friendly” treats. We have the same allergies as you, and our only reactions at Disney were to Enjoy Life items. (A new allergy presenting itself. Their products had ingredients we don’t typically eat, and a reaction followed.) good Luck! Your kiddo will still have a great trip.

Oh no!! I am so sorry! Was it the buckwheat? My son has done fine with Enjoy Life cookies and the coco loco bars, (I am still in the pretending not to watch like a hawk with every bite phase) but my non allergy son has a friend with multiple allergies who can't eat them because of a seed allergy. Praying that doesn't become a problem for my son and the too few foods he actually will eat. Allergies stink for everyone.

I recently had a rant about an incorrect allergy menu. Always speak to the chef. Quick service can be more challenging and we have had a range of experiences with those. Flame Tree BBQ accidentally gave my daughter the non-allergy cookie with her meal (thankfully they're packaged and I knew right away and took it back) We walked out of ABC Commissary because no one would help us. Be Our Guest at lunch took about 30 minutes just to ask the chef if the spaghetti sauce was safe. Don't even get me started on a couple of the countries in Epcot.

However, we had really positive experiences with allergies at Pecos Bill, Pinocchio Village Haus (even though I think the food is pretty lousy, they were one of the best counter services with allergy questions) Cosmic Rays, Satuli Canteen.

Table Service is usually much better about allergies, in my experience, but we've cut down on our table service meals so you just need to be prepared to wait longer and know that some places are going to be more helpful than others at counter service. Also, the snack stands do have ingredient lists. Even the popcorn stand had a binder with ingredients.

Wait? They stopped carrying the OMG Brownies? Those were amazing!
Yeah :( The new ones are Sweet Street brand I believe, and have a warning for processed with nuts. I wasn't happy. But we will bring our own!! Our freezer has a dozen set aside for Disney, and a dozen of their cookies, too.

It has been tough, he used to adore the big cupcakes. His 12 year old brother has no allergies, and I can't help but feel a little guilty he might have to give up a little of that, unless he and dad can slip away for a while.

I feel your pain on this...so difficult to watch our kids feel hurt...but sharing a burden and offering support is part of being in a family. Twelve year old bro may miss a treat, but having his little brother will more than make up for that in life. Plus your plan to divide and conquer (12 year old and dad sneak off) will work, especially if younger son wants to do a ride or meet and greet that the older does not.

We went to WDW for a few years in the same situation (younger son with allergies, older son no food allergies), and then the older one was injured and now prohibited from any rides, so now when we are at the parks the oldest has the allergen laden treats and shops and watches shows while the younger one rides the rides.

I assume you've seen Disney's page on allergies: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/special-dietary-requests/

My DGD is allergic to peanuts, treenuts and sesame As others have said Disney is wonderful with allergies. at TS places a chef would come out and walk the buffet line and tell my daughter what was safe or go over the menu and advise her.

QS - we had good luck. Liberty Inn at Epcot had a separate window for allergy meals. My daughter asked at each counter and they were very accomodating.
She ate mostly pizza and chicken tenders all week. I felt bad that she had the same meals so many times; she was such a trooper about it, said she came for the attractions, as long as she could do those she was happy. Mickey Bars were safe (at least in 2016).

We avoid places like OHana, any Chinese type restaurant, Yak & Yeti.

My brother is allergic to tree nuts and my parents are gluten-intolerant, and we have never had issues with allergy related things while at WDW. They all are very knowledgable about what they can/can't eat, and we definitely carry the EpiPen for brother just in case. But all restaurants we have been to were very willing to provide allergy menus, substitutions, or bring out the chef. There are also several Disney websites for allergies, so check those out before you go! Best of luck and enjoy your trip!

Oh no!! I am so sorry! Was it the buckwheat? My son has done fine with Enjoy Life cookies and the coco loco bars, (I am still in the pretending not to watch like a hawk with every bite phase) but my non allergy son has a friend with multiple allergies who can't eat them because of a seed allergy. Praying that doesn't become a problem for my son and the too few foods he actually will eat. Allergies stink for everyone.
it was the buckwheat! Luckily I saved the wrapper and we figured it out after 2 reactions. We have a seed allergy, too. It certainly is a journey!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter