First time!

alisonbestford

<font color=990066>Can cope with the dentist after
Any tips? I am travelling on 10th April to Orlando with my husband and 3 year old.
We're not hiring a car.
What should we take clothes wise, any tips on how to plan our day taking into account that it won't be so easy to return to the hotel without transport-or will it?!
We're staying on ID close to Seaworld (Village Premier I think it's called)
We're taking the pushchair for my daughter but my hubbie also gets very tired-he has a benign brain tumour which means he tires easily.
We're away for my 40th birthday-what are the birthday pins?
I'm getting excited here!!

Hello and welcome.

First of all transport it should be no problem as the ID has trolleys and lynx buses which are frequent and cheap.
Next the best thing to do is to take it easy and enjoy everthing you do. Theres alot to do and the parks are huge so its best to pace yourself and not to rush.
The weather I'm not so sure about so someone else no doubt will let you know.

Anything else just ask.

The best way to get detailed answers is to start a seperate thread for each question then you get even better answers.

Don't know about birthday pins.

Hi Alison, welcome to the DIS
Mid April is a really nice time of year, it should be reasonable warm to hot ( mid 70s to mid 80s) but without much humidity. If you feel the cold I would suggest taking a cardigan as the Aircon in the restaurants can get quite chilling.

You might like to rethink on your car hire, even if you just take one for one week and use it when your going to Disney. You won't have any trouble for SW, US and IOA as you can use th eIdrive trolley service. Hopefully your husband will be OK, but it sounds like you'll need to pace yourselves. If he does comeover feeling very tired though I think a long journey on abus isn't really going to be what you want at the end of a day. You could rent an economy car all inclusive for about £150. I think the convenience may well be worth the extra cost. Even with a car, it's not going to be very easy to take a break in the middle of the day and return to your hotel. I would try and have a nice long sit down lunch and plan to do all the indoor rides/shows immediately after lunch so you have a break that way.

Hello

I'm sure you'll find lots of useful info on the disboards.

If you are at Magic Kingdom on your B-day I believe there is a free pin at the town hall. It doesn't guarantee any special treatment but I have read it can (you might get a special telephone call but I won't spoil the surprise. In December we will be out celebrating my friend's 30th so I will be sure and take her to get a pin.

Also if you plan to make any priority seating arrangements for that day mention someone in your party will be celebrating a B-day.

My friend and myself went last September, while I think that we had hotter and more humid weather we couldn't last a full day. Perhaps we were being wimps. We decided when it wasn't fun anymore that was time to take a break! (Although we stopped onsite which might make it easier.)

All in all I'm sure you'll enjoy your hol.

If you need more info I'm sure you'll find the info somewhere within these boards.

Jane
:bounce:

my daughter got the birthday badge at Disneyland Paris - we just went into City Hall and asked for it- it was nice as everywhere we went people made a point of wishing her a happy birthday.

I agree with Vernon - if you can drive then I would really consider hiring a car, especially if you are worried about tiredness - the last thing you want is to be stuck at a park waiting for the shuttle which isn't due for an hour or so - I think you will end up taking a taxi which is expensive and after a couple of taxi rides you will have paid for the car.

my dd was 3 last year - and quite timid - start her on some easy rides (Its a small world is ideal, if a little irritating) and build her up slowly - we took Katie on a scary ride on the first day and she wasn't keen on rides for quite a few days after that.

also, I wouldn't try and do too much, maybe just do Disney and Seaworld because in all honesty, there's not much at IOA/Universal for a 3 year old (that's where we scared Katie). If you just concentrate on Disney and Seaworld then you can take things slower- look at getting a 10 day pass and going into the parks for a longish 1/2 day at a time - we found early till 3 or lunchtime till late worked really well for us. If you only get a 5 day pass then the temptation is to try and do everything in that park in 1 day and you will be exhausted.

Bev

Hi Alison,

My friend and I are going on the 12th April, so we will look out for you!

We are staying near seaworld.

Loads of information on boards. Try looking the trip reports they have good ideas onthem. Also the Britts guide to orlando. Buy it too read on the plane, great ideas and planning tips in there.

Have a great time

Tanya

Hi
I would agree with the others about hiring a car. Last Easter we stayed at the Sheraton World near Sea World and although we had a car, decided it would be a change to walk over to Sea World one day. A distance of about 500 yards (I haven't gone metric, sorry). We are 2 fit adults and 2 very fit teenagers.
We never did anything like that again. After a day trailing round Sea World, we were exhausted and that was the longest walk back! It was very hot last April and its easy to underestimate the distances you walk in the parks.
Having your own airconditioned car to flop into after a long day out is the best.
If driving is out I would make sure you budget for taxis.

Take an extra layer even on a hot day if you're eating in a restaurant as the AC can be fierce.
Buy one of those hand held fans with water in them.

Hope you have a great holiday.
Bridda

Hi
I would agree with the others about hiring a car. Last Easter we stayed at the Sheraton World near Sea World and although we had a car, decided it would be a change to walk over to Sea World one day. A distance of about 500 yards (I haven't gone metric, sorry). We are 2 fit adults and 2 very fit teenagers.
We never did anything like that again. After a day trailing round Sea World, we were exhausted and that was the longest walk back! It was very hot last April and its easy to underestimate the distances you walk in the parks.
Having your own airconditioned car to flop into after a long day out is the best.
If driving is out I would make sure you budget for taxis.

Also
Buy one of those hand held fans with water in them.

Hope you have a great holiday.
Bridda

Hmmmmm, it seems we'd better get our 'thinking head' on about hiring a car!
I think we'll see how we go and maybe hire one for a few days.
Thanks to everyone who responded - maybe see you there Tanya (my daughter will be the noisiest kid in whichever room we are in and my husband the one with long dark hair!).
Alison

:wave:

:jester:

Hi Alison,:wave:
We're going to be there the same time as you as well. As Tanya says, buy the Brits Guide by Simon Veness it's a must for all first timers and gives great tips, i wouldn't leave home without mine!

Love Audrey
xxxxxxxxxxx:bounce:

Hi Alison :wave: and welcome to the UK DIS boards!

You've already had a lot of great replies, so I'll try not to confuse things by adding too much - other than to say that there are ways of managing very well in Orlando <b>without</b> a car! I know most people here do rely on having their own transport, but for us, part of the enjoyment of our holiday is not having to think about the driving if we don't need to.

However, I do appreciate the fact that you husband's medical condition might make waiting around for shuttle buses not such a bright idea. If you only plan a couple of taxis in your holiday, then it may well work out cheaper than the car hire and insurance. On the whole, hiring the car in the UK is cheaper than waiting until you are in Orlando.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
:wave:
We already have the Brits Guide which was recommended from some friends who were going to Orlando - in fact, that's where I got this e-mail address from!!!!!
We're going armed with 'mister' fans and going to look into 2 way radios or something in case Phil needs to break off from us for a while ( I don't think our mobiles will work abroad).
Budgeting for a couple of taxis might be good-I'm not sure we'd use the car that much although my daughter, Eve, does want to go to the beach!
Whatever we do I'm sure we'll have a brill time.
Roll on April.
Alison, Phil and Eve
x

:sunny:

:crazy:

Hi

I went to Florida in April last year and going again this year in April. When we went last year the weather was very hot. I think it was hotter than it should have been in April. It got to 90 a few days which I found slightly unbareable ( sp?) I did need a cardie in the resterants in the evening as the aircon was cold. It rained for one day when we went.

I was just wondering why you wasn't hiring a car? It would make it much easier to get around.

Hi there

We decided not to hire a car for several reasons
1) didn't think we'd get much use of it as there is transport from the hotel to the parks
2) didn't think we'd be doing much other than visit the parks with a 3 year old
3) Only my husband can drive (I'm still learning) and I thought it might be too much for him as he gets very tired
4) the cost of insurance on top of everything else

HOWEVER-as a result of several postings we are now seriously considering hiring one for a few days if things get too much! It's something we will decide on when we get there though.

Alison
:bounce:

I think Eve, will find the beach at Typhoon Lagoon a more than adiquate replacement for the "real" beach ( I doubt she'll notice the difference LOL)

The problem with leaving a car until you get to the US is that insurance will make it look very expensive, you could probably get a weeks all inclusive booked in England before you go for the same price as 3/4 days hire booked locally at the last minute. If your hotel does run shuttles to Disney then that is likely to be ok for most of your needs and get a taxi back if you REALLY need to get back to the hotel. With a little planning and a few rest stops you should be OK.

Thanks,
I'd noticed that Typhoon Beach looked fun so we'll definitely be off there.
Still not so sure about the car-the hotel does run shuttle buses to Disney and Universal I think so I'm not too worried.
One thing I do want to sort out though is how to get our mobile phones active whilst we are there. I had thought about two way radios but I don't think they're the answer as Eve and I will probably set out in the morning, leaving Phil asleep and ready to follow us on later-we will need to contact him at base!
I'm really pleased I discovered this site-there are loads of issues I hadn't even considered before!!
Alison
:smooth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter