First timer... going solo for 3 days!

holmesriley

Earning My Ears
I've booked my first trip to Disneyland for 3/31-4/2, and I couldn't be more excited! I've been to WDW quite a few times, but it sounds like DL is a completely different beast when it comes to planning. This will also be my first solo Disney trip. Visiting Disneyland has been a bucket-list type event for me for years, and I'm glad my schedule finally worked out to allow me to go.

Just some general info: Flying from ATL to SNA on 3/31, Flying from LGB to LAS on 4/3 for two nights in Vegas. Staying 3 nights at the Fairfield Inn on Harbor Blvd, have a 3 day Parkhopper pass with MaxPass

I just wanted to ask a few questions that hopefully some people could help with:

1) What restaurants should I try to eat at? Cafe Orleans really stands out for me in DLP. Should I go here or Blue Bayou? From what I can tell, Cafe Orleans might be better suited for the solo traveler.

2) What's the ideal way to see Fantasmic! and World of Color? I want to try to see both of these during my trip. I looked into the dining packages for both, but is FP a better option? I'll be using MP+ while I'm there. Can I book these fastpasses with MP?

3) I have one MM that goes with my 3 day pass. I'll be using that on Tuesday morning. How does this work in DLP? Will I have access to everything in Fantasyland and Tomorrowland? If so, I'll save those Fantasyland dark rides for Tuesday (unless I just can't wait any longer!).

4) Trader Sam's is a must-do for me. A lot of people have told me that it's so much better than the one at the Poly. How do I need to go about visiting TS? I plan on sitting at the bar. What time should I show up?

5) If there's any tips that you have that I shouldn't miss out on, add them here. I'm trying to make the most of these three days and any help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
With Single Rider lines and FPs, you will rule the parks!

One great thing about going solo is that you can almost always walk in to any restaurant with open seating at the bar (there’s almost always room for one!). Carthay Circle lounge, Napa Rose lounge, Steakhouse 55 lounge, Hearthstone, Ralph Brennan‘s. And I usually have pretty good luck finding one open seat at Trader Sam’s.

With Single Rider lines and FPs, you will rule the parks!

One great thing about going solo is that you can almost always walk in to any restaurant with open seating at the bar (there’s almost always room for one!). Carthay Circle lounge, Napa Rose lounge, Steakhouse 55 lounge, Hearthstone, Ralph Brennan‘s. And I usually have pretty good luck finding one open seat at Trader Sam’s.

Awesome! Good to know! Any signature DL dishes I need to make sure I try?

Awesome! Good to know! Any signature DL dishes I need to make sure I try?

Monte Cristo sandwich at either Cafe Orleans or Blue Bayou. I would definitely recommend the dining package for Fantasmic, and if it's in your budget, the World of Color one as well.

Do you have park-hopper tickets? Rope drop Disneyland on Monday, do the Fantasyland dark rides on Magic Morning Tuesday and then hop to DCA for rope drop.

Do you have park-hopper tickets? Rope drop Disneyland on Monday, do the Fantasyland dark rides on Magic Morning Tuesday and then hop to DCA for rope drop.
Yeahp, 3 day parkhopper. My flight will land at around 11 AM PST on Sunday 3/31, so I'm thinking I should be in the parks around 2 or 3 PM. Plan is very similar to your suggestion! Hoping to get a early FP for RSR during my MM on Tuesday

For F! and WOC:
F!: you can do a dining package (best viewing areas, least wait time) or get a free FP at the machines (no MP for this yet). FPs run out around/by noon, so get one early in the day. As a solo guest, you can also do standby, but I wouldn't recommend that for your first F! viewing. Maybe on one of your other nights if you really like the show. Dining packages: HB, RBT, BB (least to most expensive in that order). BB's package comes with a souvenir cushion to sit on (you get to keep this) and has the most centered viewing area. HB's package is the most flexible (you can order off the prix fixe or regular menu, but you will pay the dining package price either way). All dining package viewing is good -- better than most free FP viewing, with much less waiting. For a first timer, don't waste time learning the free FP ropes -- just do a package.
WOC: please read the first post in this thread carefully and thoroughly (World of Color Superthread). WOC is a great show with a poorly designed viewing area. Whether you go with a free FP (no MP for this either -- go to the machines) or a dining package, please invest the time to wait and to hold a good viewing spot -- you will regret not doing this, in all probability. The WOC Dessert Package is the best way to get a good view with the least wait (and a real chair!) -- but there is some waiting involved with that, too. If you would prefer a package with a real meal, CCR (view is further back) or WCT (view is closer to the front) are your choices. With the exceptions of the Dessert Party, VIP, and HC viewing, all regular WOC viewing is standing.
Just to note: "I'll be using MP+ while I'm there." -- Thankfully, there is no MP+ at DLR, only MP or regular FP!
There have been some recent threads on the best way to use a MM and on Trader Sam's -- do a search or just cruise the pages of this forum until you find something that looks relevant.
This classic thread will have great info for you: A DLR Guide for WDW Vets.

You will not have access to Storybook land and Cassey jr train during MM.

If you have never ridden in the same vehicle three times in a row, then MM can provide that for Snow White and wooden neighbor.....the kitchen in Snow White is the best 10 feet at Disneyland....in part because it takes three times to gather in all the rich details.

Have a plan where you want to go after the hour is over......

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!