First timer questions

mike314

Mouseketeer
I'm set to go on my first cruise ever with my wife on Disney Dream to Bahamas and CC.

1. We booked late since this was a last minute trip and most of the off shore excursions are sold out. We still book some but is it possible that excursions will open up when we dock?

2. When the ship returns back to PC how long does it generally take to disembark? Itinerary says it will dock at 7:00 AM and I'd imagine we will try to get a bite to eat before leaving. Is there a long line to settle bill, have luggage checked on bus, return KTTW cards etc..

3. How is boarding the ship at PC handled? First come or is it by groups etc..

4. Anything to do at PC while we wait to board?

5. Once on the ship but its still docked at PC, are dinning options open?

6. Does your passport book get stamped for the Bahamas port call?

Thanks all can't wait for this to begin!

Last edited:
I'm set to go on my first cruise ever with my wife on Disney Dream to Bahamas and CC.

1. We booked late since this was a last minute trip and most of the off shore excursions are sold out. We still book some but is it possible that excursions will open up when we dock?

People cancel shore excursions, so it's possible. Do a web search of private shore excursions in Nassau. Some cruisers opt to just walk around Nassau, or rent a van and driver for the day. Other cruisers don't even get off the ship.

2. When the ship returns back to PC how long does it generally take to disembark? Itinerary says it will dock at 7:00 AM and I'd imagine we will try to get a bite to eat before leaving. Is there a long line to settle bill, have luggage checked on bus, return KTTW cards etc.

DCL hopes to have everyone on shore by 9 a.m. Breakfast time is determined by your dinner time assignment. Ir you can eat up on deck at Cabanas. You don't need to return your KTTW card. The computer deactivates it and your card becomes a souvenir. You don't need to stand in line to settle your bill. If everything is correct, the charges will automatically be billed to your credit card. If you need to settle a problem at guest services, it's best to do it the night before disembarkation. You can get a porter to take your luggage to the bus, where the driver puts it under the bus in the luggage compartment. No check in involved.

3. How is boarding the ship at PC handled? First come or is it by groups etc.

When you do your on-line check-in before your cruise, you choose your port arrival time.

5. Once on the ship but its still docked at PC, are dining options open?

Yes, DCL serves a buffet lunch.

It is always possible to find excursions available. Be aware that excursions become non refundable three days before the cruise if you are booking through DCL. We always book through them because there is a certain comfort level knowing the boat will wait for you if your excursion is late getting back. Private excursions they will not wait for.......

2. When the ship returns back to PC how long does it generally take to disembark? Itinerary says it will dock at 7:00 AM and I'd imagine we will try to get a bite to eat before leaving. Is there a long line to settle bill, have luggage checked on bus, return KTTW cards etc..
Whether you have main or late seating will determine when breakfast is the last day. All luggage (other than what you need that morning) will be packed the night before and the cast members will take it off the ship for you. There will be a special tag on them so you know where to find your baggage.
The last night is very busy with people buying photo packages, signing up for future cruises, settling accounts with guest services, etc..... I highly suggest looking at the photos throughout the cruise and if you think you want the perks given when booking another cruise; do so earlier in the week. Your credit card will periodically be charged throughout the cruise depending on how much you are spending and you can ask Guest services for the breakdown of what they are charging you for. You will get an itemized statement at the end.

3. How is boarding the ship at PC handled? First come or is it by groups etc..
It is handled by groups and determined by your PAT time.
You mean when you are in the port terminal? There are photos to take with characters and lines to get in to check in.
5. Once on the ship but its still docked at PC, are dinning options open?
Yes, there are. There will be a sit down restaurant available and Cabanas which is a buffet.
6. Does your passport book get stamped for the Bahamas port call?
NOPE! (At least ours didn't).

My recollection on the luggage issue is that you put your bags outside of your stateroom the night before and just keep a day bag for the morning of disembarkation.

As for boarding the ship, you should have a port arrival time (which a previous poster called the PAT). It determines when you board, at least in part. There are different rules, as I understand it, if you are sailing concierge level or are a DVC member. Here is the official Disney response:

https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/preparing-for-cruise/boarding-time/

Being a DVC member does not affect either your Port Arrival Time or the Boarding Group # you are assigned. (The only groups that get special boarding are Concierge, Platinum Castaway Club and Back-to-Back cruisers).

Your passport is not automatically stamped for your arrival in the Bahamas. If you would like it to be, there is a building at the port where you may take your passport and they will stamp it for you.

Most of your other questions were answered. I will just add that in addition to the sit down restaurant and Cabanas (buffet) being available for lunch, the Quick Service counters on the pool deck are also open and you can grab a quick meal there.

Don't worry about disembarkation, they will give you an instruction sheet giving the details about luggage, breakfast and leaving the ship. The Cruise Director also has a video that is played repeatedly on the stateroom tv's to get you the info you need.

Few more notes for you:

- I've found our disembarking experiences to be really smooth (DCL loves you, but they need you off the ship!). They do a nice job of handling getting you to your breakfast, off the ship, and then into the luggage pickup area at port. Both at embarkation and disembarkation, there are really helpful and friendly porters to handle your luggage with you. (Tip them for sure, but it's worth it!)

- We put our passports into the stateroom safe and leave them there. At ports you need your KTTW card and license; you don't need to carry your passport. We carry a color copy of the passport ID pages, just in case.

- You need to scan your KTTW cards as you leave the ship and walk down the ramp into the terminal. So you actually have a use for them as you disembark. Then you just put them away or whatever.

- Once on the ship, going to eat lunch right away at Cabanas is one thing we look forward to the most. So yes, the dining is definitely open!

Are you taking DCL transportation back to MCO? I highly recommend onboard airline check in if you are flying a participating airline. They take your bags the last night and the next time you see them is back at your home airport.

Are you taking DCL transportation back to MCO? I highly recommend onboard airline check in if you are flying a participating airline. They take your bags the last night and the next time you see them is back at your home airport.

Yes, when we went to WDW we took the magic express and they took our bags from airport to resort and resort back to airport and it was flawless...We signed up for the DCL bus from MCO to PC just wondering if its the same procedure and when do they take your bags for departure.

I'm set to go on my first cruise ever with my wife

It looks like most questions were answered and even a few corrections. Just adding a couple of thoughts on this for you.

Based on this, it looks like no kids tagging along, but if they are you can get the bands for the kid’s club while waiting in the port.

Since it seems to be is just the two of you consider arriving a little later to avoid the morning rush. If you arrive at the port after noon the crowds should be less and you will also have less wait once on board to access your room. (Remember most rooms are not available until 1:30 at the earliest.)

The patio near the concierge check-in is open to anyone. It can be a nice spot to grab a “selfie” with the ship in the background.

Last edited:
Here are some tips for cruisers that I put together I hope they are useful to you.

Attachments

• Tips for disney cruisers.pdf
    257.5 KB · Views: 12
Yes, when we went to WDW we took the magic express and they took our bags from airport to resort and resort back to airport and it was flawless...We signed up for the DCL bus from MCO to PC just wondering if its the same procedure and when do they take your bags for departure.
At 10 pm the last night all bags need to be out side the state room. Except small roller bags or ones you plan on carrying. They will notify you when breakfast is. It is the main dining room you ate at the night before or you can go to cabanas

At 10 pm the last night all bags need to be out side the state room. Except small roller bags or ones you plan on carrying. They will notify you when breakfast is. It is the main dining room you ate at the night before or you can go to cabanas

And MAKE SURE you leave out clothes to wear off the ship!!! I've seen a few families doing the pajama shuffle of shame because they forgot. (Though we should be glad they sleep in pajamas!)

And MAKE SURE you leave out clothes to wear off the ship!!! I've seen a few families doing the pajama shuffle of shame because they forgot. (Though we should be glad they sleep in pajamas!)

That's the beauty of packing and putting out before you are done for the night. You still have clothes to wear if you forget to put out clean stuff. They may be a little dirty but aren't likely to attract attention like jammies.

That's the beauty of packing and putting out before you are done for the night. You still have clothes to wear if you forget to put out clean stuff. They may be a little dirty but aren't likely to attract attention like jammies.

True. But not everyone does that. If people are first seating people and go to bed early, they might be in pajamas before they put their clothes out.

My guess is people just get in a panicked rush trying to get everything ready and forget.

I pretty much pack as I go - makes the final day less traumatic in the "Vacation is over!" sense AND no panicked rush to get everything packed again.

The procedure for DCL getting you off the ship can be one of a couple of ways. Typical is as others have described, you leave your luggage outside your room by the designated time on the last night and DCL moves it from the ship to the terminal for you. You have to pick it up from the terminal and go through customs and then out to your mode of transportation. (There are porters that can help.) If doing this method, your bags travel on the same bus as you so you have to claim them from the bus and carry them in to the airport terminal to turn them over to your airline.

One of the previous posters had mentioned using Onboard Airline Check-in if you can. This is similar to the DME service in that they take your bags (you would put them out the last night as described) and they check them in with your airline for you. But this service IS NOT automatic. You have to sign up for it. To be eligible, you have to be flying domestically on the day of disembarkation on one of the participating airlines and your flight has to leave after 11:30 am. And most importantly, you have to use DCL transfers ($35/pp each way). If you are eligible, it is a great service. There is a sheet you have to fill out to give them your flight #'s and number of pieces of luggage each person will be checking (different than giving them your flight number when you do online check-in). This sheet is in your cruise document booklet or you can get it at the port or if you don't sign up when you check-in at the port, you can go to guest services and do it. But there is a cut-off time so be sure it is done early in your cruise.

Just be aware that Onboard Airline Check-in for DCL is different than WDW resorts. I can't find the specifics on the website now but generally:
1) you must also be taking DCL transportation from port to MCO, cost is $35 per passenger one-way
2) you must be taking a domestic flight
3) you must be on a participating airline (this list is different than WDW's participating airline list)
4) your flight must depart after 11:30am

Also, you have to register for the DCL program.

Enjoy your cruise!

I will just add that in addition to the sit down restaurant and Cabanas (buffet) being available for lunch, the Quick Service counters on the pool deck are also open and you can grab a quick meal there

Unless they've changed it recently, note that the sit down restaurant is still a buffet that is a little smaller in variety than Cabanas. The nice thing though is that you are seated by the host and they bring your drinks. At Cabanas, you have to get your food then find a place to eat and have to get your own drinks. And it's not a good idea in Cabanas to put your food on the table to "hold" it while you go get drinks. They are so efficient in clearing tables you're likely to find they've cleared your plate away if there's no one at the table. Nearly lost a few meals before we realized that. So now we usually go to the sit down restaurant and take our time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter