First timer to California/DL Transportation Question

Razor Roman

<font color=blue>Make Roger Rabbit 2! <font color=
Hey all...

my wife and I are going to finally be taking our Honeymoon (we got married in september and did a too short trip to WDW in between her grad school classes)

anyway, we're going to Hawaii... but, since we'll be in California anyway, we are going to Disneyland for a few days, too!

Anyway, I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good way to travel to and from DL.

We are flying in to LAX the night of Jan 2, and since we couldn't get a room at DL we are staying at the Sheraton Gateway near LAX, and waking up early to get a full day at DL on the 3rd. Then on Sunday morning we will need someone to pick us up at the Dinseyland Hotel and take us back to LAX for our flight to Hawaii.

We did a towncar on a trip to WDW and liked the service and privacy, but wouldn't mind a Taxi if that is cost effective - we'd rather not do a bus or van, since it's our honeymoon.

What would you all recommend for a first timer?

anyone use any of the towncar services mentioned here on the disneyland pages?

any idea what prices should be?

I know a cab would be outrageous!!! most of the local town cars are good...

Some times you can get a limo from the airport really cheap.

I don't know the rates but I do know the traffic. Janurary 3rd will bring rush hour traffic which can make your ride hours long (it's normally about an 45 minutes to an hour). I recommend leaving your hotel no later than 6:30am. When you get to DLR you can have breakfast at one of the hotels or a restaurant across Harbor Blvd.

Have fun!

When we went to DL last year we took shuttle buses everywhere. The bus driver we had for our Universal Studios trip told us not to miss the bus because a taxi would cost about $140!!!! Needless to say we were certainly back before the bus left.

We flew into Orange county and stayed at a hotel near DL. We took a Super Shuttle for $12 each. I'd look into that... or maybe CoachUSA

I'm also looking at private car transfers... I've been pointed to www.execucar.com and also found www.xpressshuttle.com

Both looked very promising with prices of between $103 and $118 for a return trip (for 2 people)... LAX to Anaheim obviously :)

I'll be using one of the two unless I find something better between now and next August... I hate shuttles :D

Have you looked at Renting a car? You could probably get a pretty good rate. I am not sure if you are avoiding this because it is your honeymoon. Just wanted to throw it out there.

I ditto Greengirls idea about the rental car. We learned about a discount code for Dollar rent a car on Mousesavers.com and when I entered it on the webpage it gave us an intermediate car for $149.00 a week (I think they had compacts for $129.00) which was worth every penny as we would have paid more than that for shuttles for 3 people to DL, Universal, Medieval Times and the parks each day. The Dollar people were extremely fast at processing the check in and out and we managed to navigate the LA traffic pretty easy. Driving in LA although not for the timid, anyone used to driving in a city would be fine. We found that places were not hard to find, most directions are pretty easy it's just the volume of traffic that takes some getting used to, it's good to ask local people how much time to allow yourselves to drive places.

From LAX, I'd probably go with Super Shuttle because a taxi would cost quite a bit from there.

Although since it's you're honeymoon, a towncar or limo would be a little more money, but worth it for you two newlyweds in my opinion. :love:

We always fly into the John Wayne International airport because it's the closest to DL (about a 15 minute drive), and a taxi from John Wayne International to DL costs about $35.00 plus tip. It would most likely cost three to four times that to take a taxi from LAX to DL.

Anyway, hope you have a terrific time at DL and Hawaii! It sounds like an awesome belated honeymoon! :banana: :sunny: :cool1:

We're mostly avoiding the rent-a-car because we just won't use it, except from and to the airport... we're staying at the Disneyland Hotel, and we're from Jersey, so who knows if we'll ever go to DL again in our lives... we're going to do DLR for all its worth! :-)

But if it's as much to rent the car for a week as it is to take a limo, it might be worth it, just so maybe one night we can go see the Hollywood sign or something :D

I just checked Dollar.com and apparently I can rent a Dodge Neon for $100 for the week

Not bad at all

On another Disney MB, I think it was Mousesavers (hope it's ok to say that here), they had a website where you could get up to 6 bids for limo service for the LA area. We found one for $150 to LAX from DL. That included drinks and tip.

I just had to throw this in..I saw the cutest thing at DL for honeymooners: bride and groom mouse ears! Maybe it's something that's always been there..I just noticed them this trip.

My suggestion is to book the car and cancel if you find a better deal. (Limo, Rental...etc) We always do that when we go to Florida. :) We book the best rate and cancel the booking if we find a better rate. Just check with the policy of specific rental agencies before attempting this. For most, there is no pre-paying invovled. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter