First timers in an RV

GoofyinBuffalo

Mouseketeer
We are booked at the Fort for next August. We are borrowing a 35' RV...can't wait!! We reserved a premium site and I know it has all the hook ups. I have a few questions (I apologize if these have been asked previously): Is the wi-fi just like they have at the parks and other resorts or is a router required? My son will have his xbox with him and if he cannot connect, well there wouldn't be enough alcohol at Epcot for mom and dad to deal with that. As for cable, once you connect the cable to the RV does the tv become just like a tv in any Disney resort? Would love to have that Disney info channel showing park & show times. I heard that the trading post offers cable wiring; is that for purchase or rental and about what does that cost? Also, which premium loop would you recommend? We are renting a golf cart so we don't need to be close to the pools or marina. I would like to get something that has shade and doesn't have a difficult back-up since my husband has never driven an RV before (but he will practice a lot before we go lol). I appreciate any and all help and tips. 🚝
:goofy:

Wifi is the same as parks. No router required. My son always brings PS4 and plays just fine.

The cable depends on your TV. You may just need to hook it up or may need to get a box from Meadows Trading Post. It's free, as long as you return it before you leave.

ETA: I should add that most RVs are already wired for cable. There should just be a spot to screw it into on the outside of the RV and it should already be hooked to the interior TVs. Our TV didn't work with it so had to borrow the box, but was easy to do.

I guess I am old😬, but in Disney World a kid needs a video game system? My first two trailers did not even have a TV, the current one, the TV was standard even if I did not want it. In 7 years it has been turned on about three times. Once we watched the vampire movie while visiting north west Washington, once we caught a little bit of the Olympics and it rained one time.

Oh well, each there own.

John

I guess I am old😬, but in Disney World a kid needs a video game system?

In my case, my sons are young adults. Sometimes they hit up the parks, sometimes just hang out at the camper. We're semi local passholders (2 hour drive) who are there often, so not a huge deal. One of my sons is usually working so doesn't go most trips and the other one is disabled by a traumatic brain injury and too much park time stresses him out.

We don't typically watch TV while we're camping, either, but were at the Fort during the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, so I found out our TV wouldn't work without the box. That is the only time we bothered with it and been there lots of times since. This is why I couldn't answer the question about the cable being the same as in the rooms. I really don't know, but I do know my DH watched the Super Bowl on it.

We have spent two weeks at the Fort with two of our grandsons were 8 and 4 at the time, and they enjoyed having video game systems along. They played them every night before going to sleep.

We are booked at the Fort for next August. We are borrowing a 35' RV...can't wait!! We reserved a premium site and I know it has all the hook ups. I have a few questions (I apologize if these have been asked previously): Is the wi-fi just like they have at the parks and other resorts or is a router required? My son will have his xbox with him and if he cannot connect, well there wouldn't be enough alcohol at Epcot for mom and dad to deal with that. As for cable, once you connect the cable to the RV does the tv become just like a tv in any Disney resort? Would love to have that Disney info channel showing park & show times. I heard that the trading post offers cable wiring; is that for purchase or rental and about what does that cost? Also, which premium loop would you recommend? We are renting a golf cart so we don't need to be close to the pools or marina. I would like to get something that has shade and doesn't have a difficult back-up since my husband has never driven an RV before (but he will practice a lot before we go lol). I appreciate any and all help and tips. 🚝
:goofy:

The Internet connection is a wireless system. Provided the Xbox is wireless, you should not have any trouble "hooking up". However, the system can be a little slow at times depending on the amount of users at any given time.
The cable system is just like in any of the Disney resorts. Works very well. There will be a cable connection "box" at your site that you will hook up a piece of coaxial cable (you provide the cable - generally a 25' piece is sufficient) to the coaxial connection on the side of the RV. If the TV has a QAM tuner, it will work just fine without a cable box. Once your hooked up to cable, you will need to perform a channel scan.
As far as "getting" a shady site goes ... you do not get to pick the site. It will be assigned to you. Most of the sites have shade though. Some sites are easy to back into, some not so easy. Good thing about fellow campers, they will help guide you or even back the rig for you.

Last edited:
I guess I am old😬, but in Disney World a kid needs a video game system? My first two trailers did not even have a TV, the current one, the TV was standard even if I did not want it. In 7 years it has been turned on about three times. Once we watched the vampire movie while visiting north west Washington, once we caught a little bit of the Olympics and it rained one time.

Oh well, each there own.

John
Oh my son is definitely entertained during the day with the parks and resorts. But at night he likes to play video games before he goes to bed. He knows not to even touch the system during the day for fear of facing his Disney villan mom. lol

My suggestion is a good pair of rubber gloves and to empty the gray water before the black water.

While you'll have unlimited water you won't have unlimited HOT water, use it efficiently. The hot water tank it teeny.

You'll have a great time!

ETA: WHOOPS - I had the order backwards. Black then gray!

Last edited:

Definitely black tank first, gray second. May have to get to the setup or menu on the tv, switch to cable if it is not on cable and perform channel scan.

Oh and ask who you borrowed it from how to set it up. I only mentions this because it can be a bit, but its easy. My TV after i hook up the wire on the outside, also has a switch over button to puch that alows the signal to come into the tv. Some conections dont have screw fittings( not sure about the fort) so you need a coxal cable with the push type ends. It will probably allready be in the camper.

Oh and ask who you borrowed it from how to set it up. I only mentions this because it can be a bit, but its easy. My TV after i hook up the wire on the outside, also has a switch over button to puch that alows the signal to come into the tv. Some conections dont have screw fittings( not sure about the fort) so you need a coxal cable with the push type ends. It will probably allready be in the camper.
All the cable connects at the fort are screw fittings. The are located on the fake wood post.

The WiFi is the best we have ever had at a campground.
They do have cable. I think someone already mentioned this but you'll have to set the TV to "find" all the cable stations and add them. Don't worry, it's normally right in the setup menu.
Like others have said, get complete instructions from the owner on all the systems. If not, believe me there will be lots of help available, both wanted and unwanted! LOL.
Use lots of water in the toilet... water is your friend!
Lastly, I would recommend you and your husband work on some simple communications so you can help back him in. We use walkie talkies. They are way cheap now and work great. A lot of people rely on their phones but I have been in places that there was no signal (not a problem in Disney but I've had some issues with Verizon down here).
You didn't say if you'll be towing a car? If so, that's another part of the learning curve. Don't get yourself into a situation where you'll have to back up because you can't. You'll have to unhook the car before you can get turned around. Watch the overhead height at your fuel stops. Wow, a lot more to remember than I thought.
Good luck! You can save a ton on food and we really enjoy coming back to our home after a long day out.

Oh well, each there own.

John

It rains a lot in FL, so I can see a kid stuck in a trailer wanting to game. If you really want to disconnect, go tent camping out west.

However, I’d rather roast marshmallows and play giant jinja than play video games when camping out.

It rains a lot in FL, so I can see a kid stuck in a trailer wanting to game. If you really want to disconnect, go tent camping out west.

However, I’d rather roast marshmallows and play giant jinja than play video games when camping out.
Different times we're in now. Just sayn' :D

I had those handheld games back in the 80s that I brought with me to play. But after a day or two of getting used to camping, it was put away until the drive home.

It blows my mind that they have WiFi.
Well to be completely honest, we aren't "campers" and I offer no apologies for it. Our coach is our rolling second home. We call it our condo. The best part about it is coming home from a day of exploring to your own house. We love our creature comforts. But, that's just us.

The wi fi is good. Sometimes not great. My daughter likes her you tube, and it leaves me time to cook and clean wothout finding activities for her. Plus, after doing the parks all day at the but crack of dawn ts a way for the kido to just rest a bit. And i still have all those games from the 1980s on a emulator! Lol. We used it once.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!