First trip as single Mom

smashing

Mouseketeer
I'm a newly single Mom and heading to Disney World in September. When the trip was booked it was for our family. A close friend is now going in place of my ex. Any tips for making this trip special? I want the kids to enjoy this adventure to the fullest without comparing it to the last trip when Dad was there too.
Thanks!!

Can you tell us a little more? How many kids do you have? What are their ages and gender? What was your last trip like when Dad was there? I think you have to strike a delicate balance between making things different and still enjoying the things that you might have enjoyed when Dad was there. But really, it comes down to relax, have fun, and don't push yourself too hard.

I just wanted to say "welcome". I JUST got the bright idea to try to plan my DS's (1) first trip to WDW, so I'm no help answering your questions. Sorry.

What comes to mind is to make sure you pick new things to do in each park, and maybe hop to another resort you've never been to for a meal or free actviity (Chip n Dale's campfire sing-along is our favorite).

Make this about you guys. Don't even begin to plan based on past trips with your ex. Be unique. Age plays a big factor as well so that would help us help you!
Try different restaurants. Go to a WP. If the kids are old enough let them enjoy the resort pool & go into the arcade alone.
I love to relax and find I can even do that at disney so take time and smell the roses! If they are too young to go into the arcade alone then sign them up for one of those kid camp things (no clue about this since my kids are older). No matter what the ages do a charectar meal!!!!!
You all will have a wonderful time.

I've only been with my daughter once (me and her dad weren't together then anyway) but I think trying things that are unique to you all is the key like Carolina26 said. I think new places will inspire them, rather than old places to be reminded- remember when dad said ____ and we all laughed?

Thanks everyone!
My son is 9 and daughter 7. They were 5&7 last time we went.

Great idea to do new experiences! We are at a different resort which I think is a good start. I'm worried about the rides as I know they are both going to be attached to me and not want to sit with my friend....but hopefully we can get over that quickly.
We ate doing MNSSHP and Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise which are both new experiences for us this trip :). I'm saving $ by changing from deluxe to Mod (ex would only do deluxe) so trying to make some great memories of our new life :)

Welcome to the group. You will have a great time and have several experienced moms and dads here to help you. We have all been in your shoes before, we understand your feelings. One thing I would do is print off the maps of each park and let the kids see it and pick one or two thing they like. Yes my DS is 19 and he still loves helping with what we are doing. You can also let them pick one fast pass event. Another thing is remember you (they) will need a nap take it. This will help you later in the evening. If you need time to think or just rest take it and the kids will see your more relaxed.

Have fun

Thanks everyone!
My son is 9 and daughter 7. They were 5&7 last time we went.

Great idea to do new experiences! We are at a different resort which I think is a good start. I'm worried about the rides as I know they are both going to be attached to me and not want to sit with my friend....but hopefully we can get over that quickly.
We ate doing MNSSHP and Pirates and Pals Fireworks Cruise which are both new experiences for us this trip :). I'm saving $ by changing from deluxe to Mod (ex would only do deluxe) so trying to make some great memories of our new life :)

It sounds like you have a great start to your plans. Different resort. The MNSSHP and Pirates and Pals cruise. I'd recommend purchasing Memory Maker, but if you don't, make sure your friend takes lots of pictures of you with the kids.

As for the rides, talk to them about it beforehand. Set it up so they will alternate who sits with mom.

When my kids were that age I got them this book http://www.guidetothemagic.com/shoppingaenspecialoffer.htm I got one each and let them read it before and decide what were their choices for rides and experiences and worked around that. Another thing I did was find amazing autograph pages on the dis creative site. I did one for each character. I had a little clip board and took the ones to the park that I though I would see. At home I got a 4x6 photo album as put one picture of the kid meeting the character and then on the other side the autograph.
I also ordered pins online from eBay ( a large lot) so the kids could trade pins.
For ride it has always been the three of us so we rotate. Maybe the kids could ride together and you and your friend could be the other twosome. Use single rider lines. I put the oldest first, then the youngest then me ( or the other order) we all just met up after the ride but so much faster way to ride without a fast pass.

1. Take them to the water parks if you didn't before. They're very fun and will create a whole new set of memories for them.

2. Arrange some really nice character meals, if you didn't before. The character breakfasts at Crystal Palace and Ohana's are two of our favorites.

3. Meet Mickey at Town Square. That's the one place in WDW where Mickey actually talks.

4. Take them to Cirque de Soleil at Downtown Disney. It's an amazing show.

Last edited:
Mickeys Backyard BBQ
Hoop de Doo
Pony / Horseback / Carriage rides at Ft. Wilderness (there are limits on this for age and height, so be sure to know that first...I didn't do my research and ended up with a very excited kiddo who blabbered the whole way there about it, only to find out at the ranch she was too young for horseback rides (by a month) and too tall / heavy for the ponies.
Fireworks Cruise

For resorts, I'd look at staying at CBR or PORS. Though, you could drop down one more level to Pop and have even more spending cash as a result! (Pop is a great Value resort for those ages...though, the extra space of a moderate room may be worth it to you...)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!