First trip back for a while, couple questions/advice seeking, Galaxys edge opnions

Calib_gamer

Earning My Ears
First time posting on here. I have been to Disney my whole life but with recent years my anxiety has gotten alot worse and this trip is going to be a big one with its going to be celebrating my birthday the first day we go to the parks as well as my first big trip being a man ( i'm female to male trans). This trip is also the first one where its going to be me and my best friend on our own completely.
My questions:
Anyone have any advice about what to do concerning anxiety? me and my friend have decided i'm taking my small Panchito plush to carry around in case things get bad.
We're going to the MNSSHP on the 27th of Aug: Never been to a ticketed event do we need to leave the park and return to be admitted in the park?
Any one have any tips about getting CM and meet n greets to give you male nicknames, I still have a very feminine face and am bringing a lanyard that has He/him pins on it.
Finally; We will be down when Galaxies edge opens on the 29th! ( our final parks days too) We have it planned that will be our animal kingdom day but my Best friend is a HUGE star wars fan and she just wants to try an get a picture with the falcon, there is no way of knowing till the day of what is to come and if the park will shut down early but i'm wondering if we should even take time and try at somepoint just to swoop in and walk around than duck out.
Any other advice, tips, etc is well come too. thank you!

Edit: ad suggested i did take a look at the galaxies edge pages, thanks again mods!

Last edited:
Because your anxiety issues are your top priority, moving to the DISabilities board.

For reference re:SWGE, there’s a sub forum focusing on SWGE and can be found at the top of the Theme Parks board.

Not really anxiety related - but pick up a water bottle lanyard and use it as a 'leash' for Panchito, so you always know where he is in case you need to use both hands for something.
I almost always bring a plush Rizzo Rat with me - after all, it's 'his park' :rolleyes:
The lanyard keeps him safe while we walk, and provides an anchor point if I want to place him somewhere for a photo-op. I have several lanyards, from different parks, and use them for that park. He's a wonderful conversation starter, too, especially with cast members.

For the MNSSHP, no need to leave. If you're already in the MK, there will be cast members with party wristbands in the late afternoon. Just go to one of them, show your admission ticket and they'll give you one so you don't get 'swept' with non-party guests.

Have fun!

First time posting on here. I have been to Disney my whole life but with recent years my anxiety has gotten alot worse and this trip is going to be a big one with its going to be celebrating my birthday the first day we go to the parks as well as my first big trip being a man ( i'm female to male trans). This trip is also the first one where its going to be me and my best friend on our own completely.
My questions:
Anyone have any advice about what to do concerning anxiety? me and my friend have decided i'm taking my small Panchito plush to carry around in case things get bad.
We're going to the MNSSHP on the 27th of Aug: Never been to a ticketed event do we need to leave the park and return to be admitted in the park?
Any one have any tips about getting CM and meet n greets to give you male nicknames, I still have a very feminine face and am bringing a lanyard that has He/him pins on it.
Finally; We will be down when Galaxies edge opens on the 29th! ( our final parks days too) We have it planned that will be our animal kingdom day but my Best friend is a HUGE star wars fan and she just wants to try an get a picture with the falcon, there is no way of knowing till the day of what is to come and if the park will shut down early but i'm wondering if we should even take time and try at somepoint just to swoop in and walk around than duck out.
Any other advice, tips, etc is well come too. thank you!

Edit: ad suggested i did take a look at the galaxies edge pages, thanks again mods!

We have *lots* of great advice around here about dealing with anxiety at the Parks - I have some to offer, and I know others will as well.

Before I get to that, I wanted to tell you that I'm a MamaBunny who is part of the #FreeMomHugs movement 😀 So, once you get to 10 posts, and you can PM me, feel free to reach out if you want to! (((hugs)))

Before going to WDW, make sure that any medications you are taking are refilled, and ready to go. Let your doctor(s) and other health professionals know you are going; often they have advice specific to your needs that we may not be able to anticipate here.

VERY FIRST THING TO DO UPON ARRIVAL AT WDW: Go to either the front desk at your Resort Hotel, or to Guest Services (Disney Springs also has Guest Services, or any of the locations just outside the gates at each Park) and get yourself a Happy Birthday button! All you have to say is "I just got here, and it's my birthday today! May I have a button to celebrate?" And then...

...The CM will ask your name - and that's the name that will be written on the button! That's also the name that everyone will use when they address you at WDW, as long as you are wearing that button... and you will wear it every day, because it is your birthday trip and you are celebrating your birthday at WDW! Yay! 😀

As far as your anxiety goes, there are a few things that our family considers to be a priority: First of all, anxiety is often made worse by things like hunger, pain, or discomfort. So self-care is *super* important! Make sure you stay hydrated, cool and comfy, and then you don't have those issues to deal with on top of anything else. (it's amazing how many people go to WDW and wear uncomfortable/hot clothing and terrible shoes). Remember that the *average* Guest will walk about 3 to 10 miles *per day* at WDW, so good shoes are not optional!

There is a First Aid station in every park - if you get too stressed, you can always go there, and ask for some help. They have cots to rest on, and are staffed by medical professionals. One of my family members in particular finds that taking a couple of Tylenol, and resting quietly for 30 minutes is often a great "reset and refresh" for them.

Take along a clean, cotton bandana, (pack one for every day of your trip) and keep it folded in your pocket. You can dip it in cold water, and put it on the back of your neck if you need to cool down quickly, or fold it and put it over your eyes if you need a visual break. If noise triggers anxiety, consider bringing along some soft earplugs to help, or even noise-cancelling headphones.

Some people find that a lightweight hoodie (with the hood up) helps give them a sense of security. Other folks like big oversized sunglasses for that purpose.

You can carry things (like Panchito) in a backpack or fanny pack if you want - just remember that Panchito (whether in your pack, or carried in your hands) may be subject to examination at the bag check/security lines prior to entering each Park.

That's kind of a broad overview of some strategies that my family members use; what works for one person may not for another, but that's the beauty of posting here - there's lots of people who can tell you what works for them, and you can create a plan that will be just right for you! 😀

Consider if you should talk to a doctor about your anxiety and if meds are appropriate.

Most Cast Members will be saying things like: "How many in your party" or things like that.

I like the birthday pin idea to show off your name.

Make sure you know your triggers. My biggest trigger is that I get very anxious when closed in. I need to be able to see out at all times and know my path out of a place. I know and plan for this in every day life and at Disney. Fastpass (or MaxPass) at Disneyland are a lifesaver for me. At work, I sit in a conference room for meetings where I can see out easily and also see who might be entering at any given time.

You can get your wristband for Halloween party inside the MK around 4pm. It’s over by Pirates in Adventureland, I think by monster inc in Tomorrowland and at front entrance.

I would maybe rethink trying to get into Galaxy Edge on opening day. It’s going to be super crazy. I don’t think the extra early magic hours start opening day so die hards are going to be camping out so the GE is going to fill up real fast. Maybe try doing the Virtual Reality Star Wars Void thing at Disney Springs for your friends Star Wars fix

For nicknames, mamabunny has great advice regarding the "Happy Birthday" button. Fair warning though, expect that a LOT of people -- CM and guests alike -- will wish you happy birthday while wearing it, just as they see you / walk past ! Often it is simply that, "Happy Birthday" and from a distance [usually close enough they can see the button but probably too far to be able to read a name on it]. If they are closer to you and can read it then they may add the name that is on it as well in their wishes.

To be honest, other than the name written on a birthday button we are wearing, we haven't had CMs or at meet and greets them using names/nicknames. This may be because we are adults. We are usually greeted with something along the lines of "hello/hi! how are you enjoying your day?" or something similar, and then a conversation follows. No nicknames. Quite neutral.

SW

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!