First Trip for us all - next week!

Oeg

Earning My Ears
DH, DS1 (8), and DS2 (6) are all off to WDW for all our very first trip next week (Jan 22). I’m interested in any advice! Touring plans says relatively low crowd levels, but I don’t really know how that translates in real life. No dining plan. I’ve tried to book one sit down meal a day and supplement with a grocery order to keep costs down, though I’m sure we’ll end up doing some quick service. Older DS likes scary rides, younger DS is willing to try some coasters but is much less of a thrill seeker. He’s a total animal lover, so looking forward to AK and parts of Epcot with him.

Current plan:
Stay at POFQ
Day 1: arrive late-afternoon, probably just hang out at the resort or maybe taking the boat to Disney springs

Day 2: MK
ADR at BOG at 8 am. Focus on fantasy land, leave the park in the afternoon, early dinner at t-Rex cafe (4:30) before returning for the fireworks and EMH.

Day 3: AK
Would love to try to get there early and make it on FOP, but we don’t have a FP, so I’m not sure it’s worth it to even try. Thoughts? We have an ADR at Yak&Yeti for lunch but otherwise plans for this day are pretty flexible. I have FPs booked, but touring plans doesn’t indicate they’re really key.

Day 4: MK
Again, pretty flexible plans. Was planning on focusing on Tomorrowland and the area near POC/Jungle Cruise.

Day 5: Epcot /flight home
We only have until about 4pm before having to head to the airport, so I’m thinking we won’t have much time for world showcase unfortunately. Have an ADR for GG for lunch - our only character meal. This will be Saturday, so higher crowds.

What do you think Disney pros? I’ve been using touring plans to get a sense of what we can accomplish each day, but don’t want to we totally inflexible with our plans.

1. We stayed at FQ in November, we loved it and the boat to DS, so relaxing and nice, looks like a good first day.

2. Head to 7DMT right after your breakfast and you should get to ride before anyone else, make use of that time before 9am, maybe hit Space Mountain early if older son likes coasters. You can get quite a bit done in Fantasy Land and I think even Tomorrow Land. T-Rex will be fun for your boys.

3. Keep trying for a FoP FP everyday you may get lucky. I think if you are there at least an hour before park opening you may get on with minimal wait, however be prepared for zoo like behavior, think cattle herding lol! We love Yak and Yeti, good choice. Do the different trails and Rafiki’s planet watch. Tough to be a bug is great for your boys, a little scary but I think they are old enough to not get to nervous.

4. If you start at RD you should be able to get a lot done in Adventure Land and Frontier Land. Tomorrow Land also. I think you should hit things you didn’t get to on that first MK day. MK is a great park to start early in at RD, it really allows you to get many attractions in. We love the nachos at Pecos Bills and the corn dog nuggets at Casey’s if looking for lunch food.

5. Garden Grill is so fun, the characters are so fun there and the food is decent. If you RD Epcot you can get many attractions done before your lunch. Pick a few countries that interest you all and concentrate on those, it will be fun even if you can’t see all of Epcot.

Have a wonderful trip and have fun, don’t stress if you can’t do everything because you can’t there is just to much but RD in the morning is your best bet to do many things and rest in afternoon and head back out. Try for 4th FP and so on soon as you are in line for your 3rd one, you will get more! Enjoy!

Excellent time to visit WDW, I think the extreme cold (for central Florida) is past now.
I would suggest bring light jackets, just in case.
I will echo others and stress the value in getting to the park for rope drop, although I know it will be a challenge with DS1 (8), and DS2 (6).

Have a magical trip!
Looking forward to reading your trip report.

Sounds like an excellent plan! I really like how it is nice and flexible.

While I LOVE FOP and Pandora, in the morning people are real animals getting back there. I mean like groups linking arms and knocking people over! I highly recommend going back to Asia at opening and getting on Expedition Everest and Kali River Rapids, and going to either Dinoland or Africa from there (don't forget the animal trails!!). When I went in August, I found the rest of the park stayed very low key until about 11am due to Pandora.

While you probably won't get on a Pandora ride without quite a wait in the afternoon, I recommend at least checking it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter