First Trip- Seeking Planning Advice

Hi! we only went to Oahu, but found it super easy to plan/tour on our own. I leaned heavily on a book: Oahu Revealed by Doughty. It's written by a local and a WEALTH of information. We spent a week and wished we had more time for exploring the island. I would also add if you choose to stay at Aulani, I would recommend their luau (with the caveat that I have nothing to compare it against). We paid for the upgraded experience (best seats and alcohol included) and felt the evening was worth every penny.

I was actually wondering about the time issue with PH, DH and HB in one day. Thanks for advice, I will take it.
Depending on what day you do PH, you could combine with the swap meet, if that interests you. We did but it was closing up not long after we got there. Most booths don’t start shutting down at the end time, they are finished and gone by that time.

ETA: Oops, corrected my typo that made a bad word! LOL. I promise I didn’t see ANY vendors doing what it looked like I said they were doing 🤣

Last edited:
Depending on what day you do PH, you could combine with the swap meet, if that interests you.
Good suggestion! We've done the swap meet each visit and enjoyed ourselves. You can find some good bargains there. Some unique items. Lots of junk too. We find that after the walking past 20-30 stores or so they pretty much repeat themselves. No need to force yourself to walk around the entire stadium lot.

Ok, what is a swap meet, lol?

What is the earliest time you could start a hike on Diamond Head? Could see us renting a car for two days and keeping it over night for one night and pay Disney $40 in parking. :headache: But that might just be worth it. With PH, DH and HB all being a priority, and best done early I may just have to do that. I wouldn't mike doing DH very early and getting tickets to PH 60 days out for an afternoon time slot, which would give us time to go back to Aulani and shower and clean up well.

But I will admit that I am thinking a lot about me being able to do Diamond Head. Not the physical part, I can do that. I do four miles a day easy several days of the week. It is the mental standpoint. Have a real problem with heights. I do need to make sure I can handle the mental standpoint there. I will research on it much further. May not be able to handle it.

We're from the East coast also. We traveled to L.A. and spent 2 nights there, visiting Disneyland.
Then spent the next 8 nights at Aulani. Fantastic resort...loved everything about it!!
We made a list of what we were interested in and picked up a map of Oahu. I believe we got it from the Auani lobby. It made it easier to plan our itineraries in order to visit places which were near one another in order to make the best use of our trips.

1) Aulani luau- Really enjoyed this but very costly
2) Did Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head and Kailua beach in one trip.

Pearl Harbor- We only did the boat trip to monument but since the area was closed due to repairs we didn't spend that much time there. But the experience was very moving.

Diamond Head- Didn't expect the trail to be as difficult as it was. I sent my two adult sons and their wives up ahead and sat on a bench saying "No way"! But I decided that I would try to get to the Tantalus look out if it killed me lol. Towards the end I would stop and rest every 10 steps or so but kept going. I walk miles and miles at WDW without issues but I guess my 63 years of youth just complicated things! Anyway the lookout was gorgeous and was proud of myself for getting there.

Kailua beach was so relaxing and absolutely beautiful.

3) Did Dole Plantation and Turtle Bay on another trip. Picked up souvenirs at Dole Plantation and some pineapple treats. Turtle Bay resort area had some nice views. We were told on a previous trip that several actors form "Lost" had eaten at the restaurant we ate at and also
stayed at the resort during filming.

4) Another trip took us to Kualoa Ranch and the Byodo Temple

Kualoa Ranch- This was one of my favorite things! We took a "bus" tour through different
areas of filming locations for Jurassic Park, Lost, Hawaii Five O etc. The views of the mountain areas were beautiful. They also took us inside a famous WWII bunker.

Byodo Temple was beautiful, very peaceful and serene.

Oahu has some beautiful ocean and mountain views. We stayed away from Waikiki and Honolulu because it just isn't our thing. Hopefully we can make it back to Oahu (Aulani) next year.

Hi! we only went to Oahu, but found it super easy to plan/tour on our own. I leaned heavily on a book: Oahu Revealed by Doughty. It's written by a local and a WEALTH of information. We spent a week and wished we had more time for exploring the island. I would also add if you choose to stay at Aulani, I would recommend their luau (with the caveat that I have nothing to compare it against). We paid for the upgraded experience (best seats and alcohol included) and felt the evening was worth every penny.
I will pick this book up tomorrow at B&N.

Oh!! The swap meet! I forgot about it!! It's held at the football stadium. It's like a giant flea market, but with all kinds of things. We got great deals on some costume jewelry for my nieces and bought a lovely shell wind chime. I wouldn't plan more than an hour or so there, but we knocked a lot of our souvenir shopping for family out there. (You know, the ones you want to bring a little something back for, but really don't want to spend more than $5-10 per person...) They also had beachtowels, clothes, luggage - all kinds of stuff! We combined it with an island drive down the south edge of the island.

Good suggestion! We've done the swap meet each visit and enjoyed ourselves. You can find some good bargains there. Some unique items. Lots of junk too. We find that after the walking past 20-30 stores or so they pretty much repeat themselves. No need to force yourself to walk around the entire stadium lot.

But I will admit that I am thinking a lot about me being able to do Diamond Head. Not the physical part, I can do that. I do four miles a day easy several days of the week. It is the mental standpoint. Have a real problem with heights. I do need to make sure I can handle the mental standpoint there. I will research on it much further. May not be able to handle it.
Definitely look at pics on TripAvisor or something. It might be easy for me to say, since I do t have a fear of heights, but until you’re at the very top, you’re always right against the wall with trees and stuff below so, so I do t think there’s a real sensation of height. From the top, there are sweeping views, but I’d call it more “wide/far” than “towering/high.” Plus plenty of railings all around and you can see without standing at the edges. And it’s a constant gradual climb, so you could turn back easily at any point if you got freaked out. Hope you’ll be able to do it; the views are amazing.

Ok, what is a swap meet, lol?

What is the earliest time you could start a hike on Diamond Head? Could see us renting a car for two days and keeping it over night for one night and pay Disney $40 in parking. :headache: But that might just be worth it. With PH, DH and HB all being a priority, and best done early I may just have to do that. I wouldn't mike doing DH very early and getting tickets to PH 60 days out for an afternoon time slot, which would give us time to go back to Aulani and shower and clean up well.
If you rent DVC points for your stay parking is free.

No!! It does sound tough but I wanted to see if we could do it. There’s a red beach on Maui with a similar treacherous-sounding hike, and it’s just so hard to know from online reviews. One person will say it’s insanely dangerous and the next person says they took their toddlers....plus I’m sure conditions make a big difference from day to day.
Green and red sand!?! How cool! 🤔

I expect you will get some replies that are exact opposites of each other, but that’s good! You’ll get pros and cons of stuff that way. The thing one person hated about something might be a thing you love....

iMO the recommended length of stay is “as long as you can afford!!” You could easily stay a month and not do anything twice—the islands are small but there’s so much to see. Same answer regarding how many islands—as many as you can!

Realistically, you could look at all the things to do on all the islands and then decide which activities interest you more, and let that drive the decision. Like if Pearl Harbor is a must, you have to do Oahu. Want to see live lava? Only on the Big Island? Black sand—BI or Maui. Those kinds of things. Honestly if island hopping turns out to not be an option, you can have a very interesting trip only on Oahu. (I’d say the same about Maui or BI too, if you’d already seen Pearl Harbor.)

Now the must-do’s are where it will go all over the map! But with all adults, the Dole plantation would NOT be on my list. It’s important to know if these are active, adventurous adults or more onlooker types.

I’m assuming active with my must-do list. I say Hanauma Bay is a must on Oahu—some say too touristy but it’s very easy snorkeling in a huge (uncrowded) area. We loved it. I also think climbing up Diamond Head is a must, for the views, including down into the crater. Some say the Tantalus lookout is comparable views without the climb if that doesn’t appeal or make the cut. It was more strenuous than I expected (since it seems like everyone has done it) but plenty doable. I’d put Kualoa Ranch on my list for “next time” on Oahu; we just couldn’t do it all. Waikiki Beach was one and done for me; I’m not into the urban scene when there are beaches to be had! The free hula show was good though, if you want to see hula without a luau. Although I’ve always heard great things about the Hale Koa luau. And of course, you have to stay at or at least visit Aulani!!

I’m currently planning to go back to Maui for everything we missed there, but I’m making more time for the black beaches this time (especially Wai’anapanapa—possibly my favorite spot on the planet). Also the Pipiwai Trail through the bamboo forest. Both of these things are near Hana, and we drove the road (a must-do ONCE) before but want to revisit the faves. Haleakala is a must, although if you can’t handle sunrise, sunset or broad daylight are cool too; it’s worth seeing any time of day. We also enjoyed driving though upcountry to see the farms and vineyards, and we plan to go horseback riding this time. My biggest must for this next trip is to take full advantage of all the great free snorkeling right from the beaches. Molokini was #1 on my list, but the reviews (including from a friend who goes yearly) have really declined in the last few years, and I’ve decided to nix it. A must for me somewhere in the trip is a luau. Thought we’d do a sunset sail for DD’s 21st bday, but she’d rather do another luau!

On Kauai, Waimea Canyon is a must. It’s an easy drive but make sure you go all the way to the top; the road dead ends into the parking lot, so you can’t miss it. The whole island looks like Jurassic Park, so just driving around is awesome. We saw monk seals at Poipu Beach, so that was awesome. Another must is seeing the Naapali coast, and you can do it by air or boat. You can also hike it, but I think it’s about 10 miles to really see it and we weren’t up for that. We saw it from a cruise ship and it was amazing; a catamaran would be awesome too.

And on the Big Island, my main agenda was LAVA! Actual molten rock! Enough said. The lava tubes are fun too and I’d say a must IF you’re going to Kilauea. But I wouldn’t go to the BI just for the tube, KWIM? I also had the green sand beach on my must-do list....and was so bedazzled by the lava that I forgot all about it!! LOL. Kona Brewery was a must for me because I was on the island but again—I wouldn’t go just for that. Rainbow Falls was also pretty but not life-changing. (My kids were actually underwhelmed by the waterfalls in general—“we’ve got waterfalls that big at home...” Go figure.)We only spent two days on the BI, so I’m sure I missed several musts.

And IMO, no, I’ve never used a TA and don’t see the need. Between the “Revealed” guidebooks and the internet, I did my own research and made my own plans, including air, hotels, a cruise, and rental cars on every island.

So WOW that’s prob way more than you wanted to hear!! But just get familiar with what’s actually there before you decide where to go. And this forum is a great place for info. Happy planning!!
Thank you SO much! This is AWESOME info!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter