• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

First Trip to DCA: Sunday, March 7

CarnotaurDad

DIS Veteran
I had a business trip scheduled to LA this week and went out a day early, on Sunday morning, so I could visit DCA.

As some background, I have been to DL twice (1985 and 1998) and enjoyed our time there and my family (DW and DD4) has been to WDW in 2002, 2003 and we will go again in 2004. We enjoy WDW so much that we bought into DVC.

My DW likes to say that I don't have the ability to tell stories chronologically, so bear with me as I share my opinions of DCA:

* It's only been 3 days since I went, but I can't wait to take my DW and DD soon. My overall impressions of the park were wonderful.

* It was a Sunday, and IMO, very crowded but I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe it's always that crowded on a Sunday? That being said, the park had a surprisingly overall "laid back" feel. It was very relaxing and the crowds were polite and obviously having a great time.

* Some of the wait times were unbelievable. 150 minutes for the Grizzly water ride? 90 for the California Screamin'? Thank heavens for Fast Pass.

* I thought the park was very clean and the CMs were very helpful. If I even remotely had a blank look on my face, wandering around, someone would come up and ask me if I needed assistance.

* The layout made for some very nice walks. I thought it was easy to get from one area to another. Much easier, say, then AK's layout.

* Soarin' is going to be a hit at Epcot. Not only was the ride fun but it's a true family experience. The whole family can ride and enjoy. What a blast.

* The Aladdin musical was incredible. If that were a touring show, they would probably charge $40 just for a ticket to that. Very well done and the Genie was hysterical.

* Loved the Microbrews! Didn't try the wine sampling but will make sure to do that next time.

* I really enjoyed the Animation area. The short on the history of Walt Disney was fun to watch, and Michael Eisner got a couple snickers in that movie.

That's probably enough for now. I will be glad to answer any questions. It was a pleasant day and, as mentioned, can't wait to take my family.

Wow, I haven't seen such a positive review of DCA in a long time! ;)

Glad you had a good trip.

Thanks for sharing!
We love DCA for a lot of the reasons you mentioned and enjoy the park several times a year. Did you enjoy ITTBAB or the Millionaire Show? They are both great. I hope you make it back with your family very soon:D

Hi Lulubelle,

I didn't get a chance to go see ITTBAB (I haven't seen the one at WDW either).

I was able to go to Millionaire and I thought they did a phenomenal job, especially since I am not that big a fan of the tv version. The host was very impressive and it was a lot of fun.

Glad you enjoyed DCA, my family and I love it too.

Check out the area with the Grizzly trails. It is a wonderful play area for the kiddies and they have a small Brother Bear show there.

Also good for the kiddies but kind of boring for the grown ups is The Bug's Life area. There's a small water play area, a Heimlich choo choo train, and other small carnival type rides. Not much ride wise but wonderful themeing.

Hope to see you at the DLR.

MandaMOm

Sounded like you went solo--if you end up solo again, Soarin' and Grizzly (usually only on crowded days for GRR) both have single rider lines. I pretty much never fastpass those because the single lines get me on even faster, esp. Grizzly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter