First trip to DL in 20 years

Elmo007

DIS Veteran
Im going to DL for the first time in 20 years. Im going during the week in January right before the new Star Wars ride opens. (I know but crowd calendars showed it as most empty time)

Anway 2 questions as i head west.

1. Would i be better off with a 2 day pass or 3 day pass? I had been thinking 3 but people have been telling me that 2 is enough with the low crowds then.

2. I usually go to WDW and understand fast pass plus. I am not familiar with Maxpass. Can someone suggest a good thread or site that will be a good tutorial and have some tips on what to see and in what order.

Thanks

If possible I would always do at least 3 days. If you plan well you can get a lot done in 3 days even if it’s crowded if you set your expectations accordingly. With 3 days you can so primarily plan to do one park each day and then do your favorites/ things you still wanna do in your 3rd day... (we always did 3 days before I started to so the travel planning... now it’s 5 park days with at least 1 rest day in between)
2 days is a little tight if you wanna experience both parks.
even on ghost town days (there are hardly any) you have trouble if you wanna do rides, shows,parades, characters, shopping.

That’s the go-to thread regarding all fast pass questions...
https://www.disboards.com/threads/m...thread-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/

Crowd calendars are unreliable for DLR. 3 days are a bare minimum to have a good experience. We have been going for 4 days and never see and do everything we would like to (and it hasn't been horribly crowded either.) There is a lot to see in do and we like to take it at a relaxed pace.

Another vote for 3 days. It’s definitely the sweet spot now; especially with Maxpass. You should be able to experience most rides and re-ride your favorites easily.

5 day trips are great for a more relaxing experience. If you enjoy character meals and evening shows (fantasmic! or World of Color), 5 days also make it easier to splurge on those experiences without feeling like you’re giving up other experiences or attractions.

less than 3 days isn’t impossible, but is definitely something I’d suggest more for single park trips or with the expectation that you’re not going to see everything you may want to.

Thanks. I am not out west much. Should probably do 3 as who knows when ill get back

Some threads with good information for you:
* DLR Info/Links - Maps, Hotels, DISer Reviews, Hydroguy's tips, NEWBIE INFO here! -- from the sticky threads at the top of the first page -- SO much helpful information found here!
From that sticky:
A DLR Guide for WDW Vets -- a classic thread and a must read for you!
HydroGuy Tips Compilation -- a treasure trove of helpful threads for you!
From the above link:
"HydroGuy's Hotel Rule" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1199862
"Choosing the Right DLR Area Hotel for You" www.disboards.com/threads/choosing-the-right-hotel-for-you.3656512/ -- at DLR, it's not about on site or off site (both have their pros and cons) -- it's all about location, location, location! You want to be close walking distance to the gates (and this is totally possible!) -- what you invest to be close walking distance will save your sanity, wear and tear on your feet and legs, and give you major convenience as you can keep things at the hotel instead of lugging things with you all day, allow you to take breaks during the day because your hotel room is so close by, etc.
"Maxpass/Fastpass: an overview and some strategy" by @Skyegirl1999 - www.disboards.com/threads/maxpass-fastpass-an-overview-and-some-strategy.3726246/ -- DLR doesn't have FP+, we have MP -- read through this very helpful superthread, then ask all your questions there -- you'll get great help! Almost all WDW vets love MP the first time they use it and prefer it strongly over FP+.
"Airport Proximity to DLR and Ground Transportation Information" by @3TinksAndAnEeyorewww.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2318297 -- ask all your airport and transportation questions here.
Most accurate crowd calendars? -- crowd calendars are more of a WDW tool -- DLR doesn't really have slow times anymore -- we have slower times, but Disney can get the crowds going whenever they want because so many of us are local
How many days? -- 3 at a minimum, with park hoppers and MP (and 3+ days will give you a Magic Morning if you purchase in advance, not at the ticket booth) -- 5 is the best if you want a relaxed pace and to do some sightseeing outside the parks
Be aware that there will probably be shorter hours and more refurbs during your dates -- check the DLR website calendar to see which rides are listed as being down on your dates -- and nighttime entertainment may be on weekends only
Let us know if you have any more questions -- we're here to help! You're going to have a great trip!

If you can do it, I would highly recommend 3 days as well. Just so that you're not rushed and can go at a much more comfortable pace. The price of a 3 day pass park hopper vs. a 2 day park hopper is 75 dollars. Like other posters have stated, can't trust DLR crowd reports.. use it as a guide as things can change the crowd calendar. I personally would suspect less people going right before ROTR opens, then again there could be a lot of people thinking what you're thinking and say the crowd may be less as well.

Depending on where you're staying, if you're staying at a Disney on property hotel, then you will get the magic hour which makes a big difference and can potentially knock out a few rides. For DL.. Fantasyland and Tomorrowland are open during that time(Space Mountain, Star tours, Autopia, Buzz are in Tomorrowland). For DCA.. Guardians (which is ToT reimagined), Cars land(Radiator Springs, Tow Mater), and Pixar Pier (Incredicoaster, Toy Story) are open during the magic hour. There use to be a walk through from Cars land to Gotg but with Marvel land being built to replace A bug's life section, they ended up closing the area out.

We had one family of four on our most recent group trip and in one day hit 26 rides from 8 am to midnight (they stayed off sight and no magic hour). They walked 17 miles that day and rode single rider to expedite all the major rides. We tapped out by noon as we couldn't hang, but it can be done. They also didn't do MaxPass.

So depending on what you want out of your trip, you may or may not need to spend the extra money on MaxPass.

About the only thing i am sure of is i want an MP
MP can be purchased each day right after you go through the gates, so you don't need to buy it in advance if you're not sure you want it. It is totally possible to have a great trip without it, but it is a nice luxury. Make sure to read through the MP Superthread to get familiar with how MP works so that you'll be familiar enough with it if you decide you do want to buy it on any day of your trip.

Last edited:
2 days isn't enough in my opinion.
If I'm going to spend all the time and money to get to the parks, we're going to spend at least 4 days but always end up doing 5. If you have the choice of 2 or 3, 3 is the no-brainer.

We always go for 5 days. There is that one day I might want to sleep in, from closing the park down the night before. It allows me to just sit on a bench and watch. Or a none rushed walk on Tom Sawyer Island. Things like that.

The hours of park operations are shorter than during the "busier times". So, I would suggest three days, four is better, five is just grand!
No matter what you choose, have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!