First Trip to DL - solo (COMPLETE) new link p.43

Pinkocto

DIS Veteran
Greetings everyone and welcome to my newest TR. I'm going to combine the PTR and TR since my trip is only 10 days away. To say I'm excited is an understatement. Oh yes, you need the destination, I'm heading to Disneyland for the very first time!!! Dates for the trip are 9/3-9/9/13. My name is Pam and here I am with Daisy on the Disney Wonder

I have loved Disney all my life. I was raised with all the Disney movies and my parents took us to WDW for the first time when I was 6. I didn't get back for 9 years but I was hooked. I've since been to WDW 11 times and although I absolutely love it I realized last year that I really needed to visit DL as well. I live in Maryland so the flight to FL is only 2 hours and 15 minutes, very easy to get to. DL is a little more difficult but definitely not too hard, 5 1/2 hours. I joined DVC in 2011 so my natural choice of resort was the VGC. I anxiously awaited my 7 month window and was able to get a studio. I had gone back and forth between a studio and 1BR and chose the studio because of points, although that soaking tub really was calling my name. When I finally decided I'd change to a 1BR they were all booked. I didn't waitlist, I figured it was just as well.

With the resort booked it was time to book flights. I fly SW when I can, so kept an eye on their prices. When flights first came out they were $500 round trip. I wasn't too crazy about that so kept watching them. When they went down to $400 I booked, but of course kept watching. They went down a few times after that and I finally got them for $300. I kept watching but they never went below $300. I am still beyond happy with that and they're both non-stop.

I bought the DL Passporter for research, very helpful, and read a bunch about DL here on the DIS. After the resort and flights my biggest problem was actually getting to DL from the airport. SW only flies non-stop from Baltimore to LAX so that was my firm choice. A friend suggested the Supershuttle which I was just about ready to book and then I started thinking about renting a car. The Supershuttle is $32 round trip, which means $42 with tips, and I could get a car for $150. So for $108 more I could have the flexibility of a car. I really liked that idea so booked it through Priceline.

After Labor Day, which is when I'm getting there, September is supposed to be quite a low crowd month. I'm hoping this holds true and I won't have crowds to contend with.

One big difference of planning for DL verses WDW is that they don't put out the entertainment schedule months ahead of time like WDW. I anxiously waited for the September schedule to be put out and that wasn't until late July/early August. They kept posting a September schedule on the website and then taking it down, it was very bizarre. I was mainly wanting to know the WoC and Fantasmic! schedules. WoC will be showing every night which is great, but Fantasmic! is only showing Friday and Saturday nights. I'll have to work around that. I'll be buying a 5 day hopper pass which I'm hoping will be enough to see everything. Here's a schedule I have so far.

9/3 Tuesday:

-Flight 9:50-12:20
-Pick up car
-Stop at grocery store for diet mountain dew and some food items
-Check in at VGC, between the drive and stopping for groceries I'm thinking between 3-4 pm
-Decide what to do next, DL closes at 7:00, DCA closes at 8:00. Do I want to use a park day for only a few hours? Must decide when I get there.

9/4 Wednesday:

-EMH at DCA 9-10 am
-Parks open at 10:00
-Lunch with Alison at a very exciting location
-Hoping to do some rides with Alison before or after lunch if that works with her
-DL closes at 7:00
-DCA closes at 8:00

9/5 Thursday:

-EMH at DL 9-10 am
-Parks open at 10:00
-DL closes at 7:00
-DCA closes at 8:00

9/6 Friday:

-EMH at DCA 8-9 am
-Parks open at 9:00
-Fantasmic! at 9 pm ?
-Parks close at 10:00

9/7 Saturday:

-EMH at DL 8-9 am
-if I don't see Fantasmic! Friday I must see it today
-DL closes at 11:00
- DCA closes at 10:00

-See Alicia at DTD?

9/8 Sunday:

-EMH at DCA 8-9 am
-Go to Alison and Frans concert tonight

-See Alicia at DTD? (depends on which day they'll be there)

9/9 Monday:

-Go home today :(
-Leave resort between 9-10 to return car at LAX
-Flight at 1:05 pm
-Arrive home at 9:05 pm

I will only have 5 day passes, so one of these days will be a relax at the resort, go to the spa, or explore CA with the car day. I will not be at the parks from opening to closing, I'm just not that kind of vacationer, I'm hoping to enjoy the pools and DTD a lot. At WDW travel time can take up such a big part of the day, I'm really looking forward to being at DL and everything being a close walk to each other. Other than lunch with Alison I have no ADRs. From everything I've read you really don't need them at DL. Most of my days will be totally go with the flow. I love to sleep in on vacation, I have to be at work at 5:30 am so on vacation I relish my down time. I'm really happy with the 10:00 opening times most days because that means I won't feel any need to rush.

Unfortunately since its off season there will be a few attractions closed during my trip. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Haunted Mansion, Mickeys House, Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo, and King Arthur Carousel will all be closed while I'm there. That just means I'll have to plan another trip to DL in the next few years.

That's all I have for now, if you have any tips please share them, I'm open to everything.

Found you. I can't wait to read what you make off Disneyland. I have always loved Walt Disney World, but I love Disneyland even more.

Corinna

HI there. Joining in! Sounds like you have an awesome trip ahead of you. -Amanda :goodvibes

Found you. I can't wait to read what you make off Disneyland. I have always loved Walt Disney World, but I love Disneyland even more.

Corinna

Thanks for joining me :) I know I've said it before, but I'm so excited! I know I'll love it but looking forward to finding out how much :)

I'm a bit picky about what I eat, no red meat, poultry, onions, peppers, or beans, so I went through all the menus to see where I can find options. This way I can just look at my list and go wherever strikes my fancy without having to look at the menus again. Let me know if you have any favorites.

Cafe Orleans, DL: pomme frites, three cheese monte cristo, beignets
Golden Horseshoe, DL: fish/chips, hot fudge cookie sundae
Jolly Holly Bakery, DL: grilled cheese and tomato soup, caprese sandwich
Rancho del Zaco, DL: fish tacos. Sub beans for veggies
Stage Door Cafe, DL: fish/chips
Village Haus, DL: cheese pizza
Red Rockets, DL: cheese pizza, penne pasta
Main Street Cone Shop, DL: huge icecream sandwiches.
Maurice's Treats, DL: cheddar garlic bagel twist
Mint Julep Bar, DL: beignets, 3 or 6
Tiki Juice Bar, DL: dole whips

Boardwalk pizza and pasta, DCA: 4 cheese ravioli with pesto sauce
Corn Dog Castle, DCA: cheddar cheese stick
Cozy Cone 4, DCA: pretzel bites with cheese sauce
Flo's V-8 cafe breakfast, DCA: French toast with caramel sauce
Lucky Fortune Cookery, DCA: rice bowls with several different sauces
Bayside Brews, DCA: cream cheese filled pretzel
Rita's Baja Blenders,DCA: nonalcoholic lemon lime slushie

Tangaroa Terrace, DL Hotel: Panko breaded fish and chips
Steakhouse 55, DL Hotel: breakfast, buttermilk pancakes or French toast
Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar, DL Hotel: fish tacos, fried long beans

Napa Rose, GC: appetizers and dessert, truffle orecchiette Mac/cheese
Whitewater Snacks, GC: buttermilk biscuit breakfast sandwich, cheese pizza

PCH Grill, PP: Santa Monica Flatbread (a bit modified), spinach/artichoke dip, shrimp Mac/cheese, veggie pasta

Cafe Renee, DTD: lots of delicious crepes
The Cupcake Store, DTD: check out
EoS, DTD: without a doubt, probably several times
La Brea Bakery Express, DTD: a possibility, look at menu again, a little expensive
Napolini, DTD: baked Mac/cheese, paninis, pizza,
Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, DTD: lunch or dinner, lots of delicious options, coconut cream pie!
Tortilla Jo's, DTD: make your own burrito

Woot woot! I'm here but will be back to read. Off to my SIL's 21st bday party :thumbsup2 Can't wait to read about the details of your trip. So excited for you!

You have a 5 day PH? I wouldn't waste it on the first day. I would use that day to get unpacked, settled in and perhaps take a tour of the GCH. :thumbsup2 The Hearthstone lounge is a really nice place to relax. Also if you wanted to, head over to the DLH and check out the grounds over there! They have amazing waterfalls that are underneath the hotel. At least, I think they still have them :confused3

So the concert is on Sunday? I think we may be there on Saturday. So if you don't see F! on Friday, you'll certainly be able to catch it on Saturday since we'll want to leave at a decent time Saturday night. Still trying to work out the logistics of it and seeing about getting a sitter for DS so we won't have to take him.

I've heard amazing things about the monte cristo here. Have only had the one at the Blue Bayou and loved it!

Golden Horseshoe, DL: fish/chips, hot fudge cookie sundae
Stage Door Cafe, DL: fish/chips

I've had the fish and chips many times and have always been tasty!

Village Haus, DL: cheese pizza

Have never ordered pizza here, but my brother loves it!

Red Rockets, DL: cheese pizza, penne pasta

Is this Pizza Port? My DM and I had pizza here and we really enjoyed it along with their garlic bread (or cheese bread? can't remember which one)

Main Street Cone Shop, DL: huge icecream sandwiches.

Yes! Best ice cream. Even better if a parade is starting to happen and you can watch while eating your ice cream.

A must! Sometimes the line isn't as long on the other side of the hut...you have to enter the tiki room entrance to get to this line.

Best breakfast! And lunch...and dinner :lmao:

Bayside Brews, DCA: cream cheese filled pretzel

DH loves the pretzels here!

Napa Rose, GC: appetizers and dessert, truffle orecchiette Mac/cheese

Anything at Napa is delicious!

Great cupcakes, caramel apples and other chocolate goodies.

Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen, DTD: lunch or dinner, lots of delicious options, coconut cream pie!

Alison loves this place! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I love this place. If you sit inside, they make the best guacomole, but it's better to share with someone as it's huge.

There is an express around the corner from it so you can take it to go! We usually do this option.

Do you like lobster? The Cove Bar in DCA has amazing lobster nachos and the view is amazing.

Also at DCA, is Wine Country Trattoria. They have vegetarian options there that you may like.

This is exactly what my niece and I order every time and share! They are our three favorite things in all of the resort!!!

For sure, yummy!!!

My favorite breakfast item in all of the resort!

Lucky Fortune Cookery, DCA: rice bowls with several different sauces

Tried this for the first time in March and was very pleased!!

Trader Sam's Enchanted Tiki Bar, DL Hotel: fish tacos, fried long beans

The beans are excellent!!!

I am a cupcake-a-holic and very picky about my cupcakes! I did not like the cupcakes here at all. I have only found two cupcakes at DLR that I like, the Bumblebee cupcake at Hungry Bear in DL and the chocolate peppermint (Might only be at Christmas time) I got it at Pacific Wharf Café.

EoS, DTD: without a doubt, probably several times

Love this place!!!

We always eat here! Their guac is delish!!

Enjoy!!!!

You have a 5 day PH? I wouldn't waste it on the first day. I would use that day to get unpacked, settled in and perhaps take a tour of the GCH. :thumbsup2 The Hearthstone lounge is a really nice place to relax.

I would get a 6 day if I could, but the longest they have is 5 days, and beyond that you have to get an annual pass. At least that's what I found on the website. I definitely need to tour the resort, it looks gorgeous.

Also if you wanted to, head over to the DLH and check out the grounds over there! They have amazing waterfalls that are underneath the hotel. At least, I think they still have them :confused3

You had me intrigued but it looks like the waterfalls were taken out last year. They looked beautiful though.

So the concert is on Sunday? I think we may be there on Saturday. So if you don't see F! on Friday, you'll certainly be able to catch it on Saturday since we'll want to leave at a decent time Saturday night. Still trying to work out the logistics of it and seeing about getting a sitter for DS so we won't have to take him.

You don't want to bring DS? I can always meet you guys somewhere other than Disney if that works better for you. I'll have a car. :)

I've heard amazing things about the monte cristo here. Have only had the one at the Blue Bayou and loved it!

More and more I'm thinking Cafe Orleans is a definite. So many places, so little time.

I've had the fish and chips many times and have always been tasty!

I love fish and chips!

Have never ordered pizza here, but my brother loves it!

popcorn::

Is this Pizza Port? My DM and I had pizza here and we really enjoyed it along with their garlic bread (or cheese bread? can't remember which one)

Yes, that's the place, I just checked. Mmmm, garlic bread!

Yes! Best ice cream. Even better if a parade is starting to happen and you can watch while eating your ice cream.

Yummy! Hopefully it's a better parade than the one at WDW, I don't like that one :rotfl:

A must! Sometimes the line isn't as long on the other side of the hut...you have to enter the tiki room entrance to get to this line.

I can't believe it took me so long to have a dole whip, they're so delicious! Thanks for the line tip :)

Best breakfast! And lunch...and dinner :lmao:

I'm ready!

DH loves the pretzels here!

I love a good pretzel!

Anything at Napa is delicious!

I don't think I'll do a full meal, just too pricey, but apps and a dessert sounds delicious.

Great cupcakes, caramel apples and other chocolate goodies.

Caramel goodies? popcorn::

Alison loves this place! I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

I don't have enough time. Maybe I shouldn't stop for any groceries :laughing:

I love this place. If you sit inside, they make the best guacomole, but it's better to share with someone as it's huge.

There is an express around the corner from it so you can take it to go! We usually do this option.

Do you like lobster? The Cove Bar in DCA has amazing lobster nachos and the view is amazing.

I missed looking at this menu. Since I'm allergic to crab I don't eat lobster either, don't want to take the chance.

Also at DCA, is Wine Country Trattoria. They have vegetarian options there that you may like.

I haven't read much positive about them. What do you like there?

Thanks so much for all the feedback :)

Enjoy!!!!

Hi Tina, and welcome! thanks so much for the feedback :)

I think Cafe Orleans is now a definite.

Is Tortilla Jo's like Chipotle? I am in love with Chipotle popcorn::

I'll definitely have to try Flo's French toast.

The rice bowls intrigue me. If there are onions and peppers I'll have to skip it, but the sauces sound delicious.

Love love love EoS! Was so bummed they took off the veggie sandwich, that was my absolute favorite.

What didn't you like about the cupcakes? I'm crazy about icing, like a little cake with my icing popcorn::

Yes do Cafe Orleans for sure!!!

No TJ's is not like Chipotle. It's a big Mexican restaurant. Although we've never done the outside taqueria, maybe that is more like Chipotle, not sure!

The cake was very dry and the frosting wasn't very good. But it was about 2 years ago so maybe it's better! I'm spoiled, we have the best cupcake shop 10 minutes from my house!!!

You're going to be there the exact same time we are! I can't believe it's coming so soon.

I would get a 6 day if I could, but the longest they have is 5 days, and beyond that you have to get an annual pass. At least that's what I found on the website. I definitely need to tour the resort, it looks gorgeous.

Too bad you're not planning on coming back within a year, otherwise that AP would be perfect for you.

....or maybe you'll love it so much that you will! :banana:

You had me intrigued but it looks like the waterfalls were taken out last year. They looked beautiful though.

No! Seriously? That's a total bummer. Haven't been on the DL boards in a long time apparently. I remember my dad taking me and my brother to those early in the morning, while my mom took her time getting ready up in the room. That's too bad. Well, if you have a chance to get over there, it would be cool to check out the pool and lobby area. Since it is the first Disney hotel after all :)

You don't want to bring DS? I can always meet you guys somewhere other than Disney if that works better for you. I'll have a car. :)

It would be easier for us to leave him with my mom or his mom, but if they're unable to, we will. And you're so sweet but it would just be easier for us to come to you. Plus, I wouldn't mind walking around DTD!

More and more I'm thinking Cafe Orleans is a definite. So many places, so little time.

I definitely think this is one of the places you should hit up. The seating outside is really nice and shaded, and fun to people watch.

Yummy! Hopefully it's a better parade than the one at WDW, I don't like that one :rotfl:

That's right I remember you didn't like the MK parade :lmao: I don't remember which parade they have right now at DL. Soundsational perhaps? Or I could be dating myself:blush:

I love a good pretzel!

I don't think they'll ever be a better pretzel than the one at AK :thumbsup2

I don't think I'll do a full meal, just too pricey, but apps and a dessert sounds delicious.

Great idea. Maybe even day of check-in?

Caramel goodies? popcorn::

I believe so! Oh another cool place with treats is over in Critter County behind the Winnie the Pooh ride called Pooh's Corner. It's a big gift shop that has a candy counter and they have some great stuff. I always make a stop in here for a tigger tail when we go.

I don't have enough time. Maybe I shouldn't stop for any groceries :laughing:

Haha I know! Are you going to Target for your shopping?

I missed looking at this menu. Since I'm allergic to crab I don't eat lobster either, don't want to take the chance.

I couldn't remember if you ate it or not.

I haven't read much positive about them. What do you like there?

Every we eat here, I always get the lasagna. Probably something you wouldn't get since it has meat in it, but it's delicious.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter