First trip with a stroller aged kid - HELP!

hakunamomtata

Disnerd Extraordinaire
Our DS will be almost 2 when we go back to WDW next month. We didn't take our oldest DS until he was 4 and he didn't need or want a stroller... so using a stroller in Disney is a totally new thing for me.

We plan to bring our stroller for use in the airport.

Talk me through this...
  • how on earth does this "gate checking" thing work?
  • what should we expect in TSA line with a toddler, with the stroller, etc. Does he need to go through the scanner by himself or can we carry him through?

Bonus question - any tips for bringing an almost 2 year old to WDW? I've packed an entire (checked luggage) suitcase with just snacks, drinks, diapers, etc. I'm going to have a backpack under the stroller with a variety of snacks and drinks for him so we spend less in the park on stuff he will most likely throw on the ground anyway. I plan on taking midday breaks back to the hotel if he wants to nap and won't sleep in the stroller (ours reclines flat - but he's never napped in it before....however we've never been to anything like Disney with him, so he's never been anywhere near tired enough while in the stroller to need a nap).

You’ve got a good game plan, that’s basically what we do, but I would just suggest buying all of that stuff through grocery delivery instead so it is waiting at your resort for you! I don’t even pack diapers (well a few) the rest I order.

Gate check - They should give you a tag for the stroller when you get to the gate. You can wheel your stroller right up to the aircraft door and that’s where they will ask you to leave it, on the ramp. Make sure it is well tagged with your info just in case (we put luggage tags on ours). When you deplane the stroller *should* be right in the same place you dropped it off. You may sometimes need to wait a bit. I would strongly recommend having everything out of your stroller and the kiddo walking before that point so it is quick. There will be people trying to get past you on the ramp. You don’t need to fold it, I’ve never been asked to fold mine and I think it is easier for them to move strollers and wheelchairs if they can push them instead of having to pick them up. Less likely it gets damaged too!

TSA did not have our 2 year old go through the scanner, we had an adult go first and grab the stroller, they had us push it around the side. Not sure if that will be your experience. Do make sure every single last thing is out of the stroller before you get to the TSA line.

I think they did swab the baby’s hands and mine and my husband’s, I assume because she was in a stroller? That was our first time flying with a baby since 2010 so everything was different than before.

At MCO, we had to fully collapse our stroller and put it on the belt to go through the metal detector. We have our 5 yr old walk through the metal detector, then I went, then the 2.5 yr old walked through. At that point my DH was sent to the body scanner since the kids were all processed. At our home airport, we were waived to a special line and kept our shoes on, electronics and 311 bags in our 'personal' items and the stroller was visually inspected.

Get the strap that secures the sippy cup to the stroller to prevent them from rolling off or being thrown.

For gate check:
On Delta I get a ticket to attach to the stroller. It's similar to the sticky tickets that get attached to checked luggage except that it has like a thin rubber band attached to it so it's easier to put on and remove. When we go to board the plane I leave my daughter in the stroller until we reach the door of the plane. I take her out and collapse the stroller. There will be agent down at the door to then take the stroller and put it where ever they store checked luggage. When you land you'll get off the plane and the stroller will be waiting for you at the door to the plane where you dropped it off. Sometimes this takes a while if there are a lot of people gate checking items. I try to be one of the last people off the plan for this reason because that area can get cramped waiting and if you have a small child or infant holding them in that small hallway right after they just spent a few hours stuck in one spot on the plane it's not going to be fun. I prefer to continue to play/snack with my daughter in our seats on the plane - watch other planes land/park and wait it out. Then our stroller will be waiting for us and we can just go.

As far as security...
I usually hold my daughter. I've been given the choice though. they will usually ask you "Can He/She walk through alone?" and I usually "She CAN I don't know if she WILL." then they just tell me to carry her through.

I've literally never been asked to collapse my stroller for security - apparently I'm an odd one out. I am a single mom and travel alone with my daughter frequently - I think the TSA agent might just be taking mercy on me. They do usually check all the crevices and stuff though. From what I've heard from other people I would plan on breaking it down to put on the belt/scanner.

TIPS:

1. Don't push you luck. If they get tired slow down. There is NO way you're going to be able to do as much as you do with out the toddler. So go at their place. If you try to rush around or push them they will only be miserable.

2. Take naps. Even if he doesn't take naps take a break from the park. Go swim at your hotel or go back to your room for lunch and to watch cartoons for a few hours. You'll increase the time they can stand in the park at night and they will have a mental break from the stimulation.

3. SNACKS. I bring a bunch of snack size baggies with a large variety of snacks (and candy - don't judge) when ever we travel for the times that are boring for her. It gives her something to focus on while we are waiting to board our plane, or waiting in the queue for a ride.

My kids are 16yo and 12yo now but we did a ton of flying with them when they were younger.

Before Your Trip
  • Talk to your 2yo about what will happen at the airport. They may or may not remember, but it is worth it to prepare. We would practice walking through the metal detector using a doorway...first one parent, then the child, then the second parent.
  • Pack a separate kid-sized backpack for your child. Fill it only w/ items to amuse them on the trip...all diapers, wipes, extra clothes, and snacks go in mom & dad's backpacks. Small figures, board books, a travel Magnadoodle (the attached pen means no crawling on the floor looking for crayons), stickers and a sticker book...even a small cup to put the figures in and out of works! I stock up on Disney stickers and such at the Dollar Store. Any favorite stuffed friends need to stay in the backpack through security, they usually can't be held through the metal detector.
  • Find the red text on one of the side labels on the car seat that certifies it for airplane use. The flight attendant can ask to see it and it makes it easier than looking for it while standing in the airplane aisle.
  • Practice installing the seat w/ a seat belt before you leave. There aren't any lower anchors on airplanes. Check out the Car Seat Blog for recommended seats for airplane use and there are links to more info at the bottom of that article.

Security
  • Be prepared to collapse the stroller for the conveyor belt. I also wouldn't put anything under it going through the airport.
  • The car seat usually has to go through the conveyor belt as well.
  • Be prepared for everyone having to walk through at least the metal detector. On our recent flights they treat my 16yo like an adult and have her do the xray scan, but the 12yo goes through the metal detector.
  • It will be easier for you if your stuff is organized and you don't have any metal in your pockets, etc. After we check our luggage, I generally stop at a bench and make sure my pockets are all empty and my cell phone is in my backpack. The less stuff you are dealing with getting on and off the conveyor belt...the less stressed you will be.
Gate, Boarding, & Flight
  • Get a tag for the stroller to be gate checked.
  • Fill any sippy cups/water bottles w/ water.
  • Do a diaper change before boarding! :-)
  • Let your little one run around the gate area as much as possible before boarding.
  • Send one parent on the plane first (sometimes they are allowed to pre-board) to bring on a bag or two along w/ the car seat. They can install it and stash the bags while your child is still burning off steam in the gate area. Then when you board the seat is installed and you are ready to strap in! Note that car seats need to be installed in the window seat as to not impede any passengers in an emergency.
  • I had one kid that would crash hard in her car seat before the flight even took off (from the white noise of the engine)...sleeping for the entire flight and another that we needed to pull a new toy out of the backpack every 10-15 minutes. Turns out the second kid still hates airplanes at 12yo...so it is just how he's wired.
Parks
  • Pack one regular "diaper bag" with 2-3 diapers and travel wipes along w/ some snacks, etc. We used a backpack diaper bag and all our stuff (including valuables) went into that as well. Then place more diapers and wipes along w/ some snacks in a plastic grocery bag. The diaper bag goes w/ you everywhere, including on rides while the grocery bag stays under the stroller. No need to take a full day's worth of supplies on every ride...and no one is going to steal diapers. When you need to collapse the stroller (trams, train, bus, etc) all you have to do is pull out the grocery bag instead of trying to clear out the bottom one item at a time!
  • Bring noise cancelling headphones. These are great for louder shows as well as fireworks. We never brought them when our kids were really little, but it would have solved a lot of heartache and tears!
  • Listen to your kid. My younger one hated Dumbo (!!!) so we skipped similar rides for the rest of that trip. I'm glad we did because three years later we found out he had a vestibular issue and spinning in the air like that freaked him out.
  • Lots of small snacks. Bring some w/ you to have on hand so they always have something in their tummy. They are also great to have while waiting for food at a restaurant.
  • Table toppers. Do they still have them? We used them w/ our younger one to cover the table where he sat so he could have finger foods all over the table and we didn't have to worry about germs.
  • Start slow and easy w/ rides. Both our kids rode Small World as their first ride. The slow boat with happy kids singing eased them into the other stuff. You don't want them to freak out and not want to get on another ride for the entire trip!
  • I would have a harness available if you think your child could possible be a "runner." Our younger one would bolt at the drop of a hat and we had a monkey "backpack" that had a tail attached to it that we would hold. It was priceless for when we were standing in line or when he got tired of sitting in the stroller.
Naps
Be prepared to figure out what napping looks like for your kid while on your trip. We had every intention of returning to the resort for naps but seems our kids would fall fast asleep on the ride back to the resort then wake up once we arrived and not be able to go back down. What did work for us was the stroller (draped in a thin blanket to reduce distractions) or a good structured carrier (similar to an Ergo) on the go. Our second kid would only nap in the carrier during the trip he turned 2yo. One of us would wear him facing into our chest and he would go out like a light for a couple of hours. If they nap in the carrier you can still ride some quieter rides (Ellen's Energy Adventure used to be perfect for this!) or shows.

Whew, that was a lot. Hope some of it can be useful during your trip.

What airline and What type of stroller? We travel a fair amount with our kids, and have had a mix of experiences with security/stroller.

When we've traveled with a single Jogging stroller (a Bob), we've had to collapse it fully and even take it apart a few times (wheels, etc) to go on the belt. Oddly that's only happened to us at "smaller" airports (Providence, Charleston, a few other spots I'm blanking on....). Other places, they've wheeled it through the handicap door or through a metal detector. In those cases, they always pull it aside to wand it. It just takes an extra second and is no big deal.
When we travel with our double stroller (Citi GT) we've never been asked to break it down or take wheels off.

My kids always walk thru the metal detector and I just prepare them for it. If your child is very attached to a blankie/lovey/pacifier or something you may want to tuck it out of sight. My little ones have had a few meltdowns when it has to to be taken from them to go thru the metal detector at that age or a little younger. In terms of going thru, I have my oldest (almost 4) go through first and then her brother (almost 2 now) follows her thru. In general, I think TSA people have been amazingly nice and friendly to our kids (more than a few times they've given them stickers!)

We personally don't travel with baby stuff, because we just grab it on the way to the hotel if we have a rental car (diapers, wipes, food, snacks, whatever). Grocery stores are everywhere :) Likewise, when possible we rent carseats, we use hotel pack n play. We personally find it so much easier to not be loaded down with extra luggage and stuff- I'd rather have extra hands for the kids in the airport.

We fly a couple times a year and have never brought more than an umbrella stroller to the airport. I'm pretty sure our regular strollers wouldn't fit through the bag check conveyor belt but perhaps there is a way around that. For our Disney trip a 2 1/2 years ago (with an 18 month old , a 3 year old, and a 4 year old) we wanted/needed a regular "nice" stroller for touring the parks so we rented through Kingdom Strollers. Super easy process, delivered right to our resort. We will use them again this October.

Given we had strollers waiting for us at the resort, we actually did the airport without any stroller at all--I carried the 18 month old and the two others walked. It was a direct flight so it worked. If we have to make a tight connection, I still like to bring an umbrella stroller for my youngest (now 4).

Other than that, we just made a point of morning snack breaks (to keep everyone going) and taking an afternoon break at the hotel to recharge. Not much napping occurred during those afternoons (my kids gave up regular naps pretty early unfortunately) but we a Disney movie (bring dvds) and they relaxed. We did dinner and nighttime show at the parks most evenings, often with some of the kids falling asleep in a stroller while we waited for the parade/fireworks.

I would definitely pack an extra outfit for the parks. I actually still plan to do this for all my kids on our next trip (ages 4-7).

Also, if you put an autograph book in the bottom of your stroller, put it in a waterproof ziploc or plastic bag. We got caught in a downpour and ruined my carefully planned Disney themed Little Golden Books I was using for character autographs when we parked the stroller outside a restaurant. Probably wouldn't hurt to have some sort of waterproof cover (poncho, etc.) to throw over the stroller for mealtimes when there may be a high chance of rain. Putting my kids in a soggy stroller one afternoon was not ideal.

Also, be prepared if your son is afraid of the non-face characters. My older girls loved all the characters but my littlest would burst into tears whenever Mickey and friends approached our table. Ironically, Haunted Mansion, Pirates, etc. didn't scare her at all!

We had a great trip and, honestly, I didn't think having a child that young slowed us down much at all. Y'all will have so much fun!!

Excellent advice from the moms here, but I would just like to second the noise canceling headphones (if your little one will wear them-maybe practice before the trip?). Even at age five my grandson used them on occasion. You don’t realize how loud so many of the attractions are until you travel with a small child!

Another option is to rent strollers at the Disney Parks. We did this for years when our two were young. Very convenient!

Our DS will be almost 2 when we go back to WDW next month. We didn't take our oldest DS until he was 4 and he didn't need or want a stroller... so using a stroller in Disney is a totally new thing for me.

We plan to bring our stroller for use in the airport.

Talk me through this...
  • how on earth does this "gate checking" thing work?
  • what should we expect in TSA line with a toddler, with the stroller, etc. Does he need to go through the scanner by himself or can we carry him through?

Bonus question - any tips for bringing an almost 2 year old to WDW? I've packed an entire (checked luggage) suitcase with just snacks, drinks, diapers, etc. I'm going to have a backpack under the stroller with a variety of snacks and drinks for him so we spend less in the park on stuff he will most likely throw on the ground anyway. I plan on taking midday breaks back to the hotel if he wants to nap and won't sleep in the stroller (ours reclines flat - but he's never napped in it before....however we've never been to anything like Disney with him, so he's never been anywhere near tired enough while in the stroller to need a nap).
One thing that I feel like made a huge difference for me, although very small lol, is not bringing the regular sippy cups. I just buy enough disposable ones for 2 cups of milk a day and then do 1 regular sippy cup that we put water in and use juice boxes. I know it sounds silly and it took me 3 kids to figure it out but for me it's totally worth the extra $15 or so to never have to worry about washing the sippy cups after a long day at the park every night - and trying to rinse them once they're gone at the parks and carrying them around all day. I know it's wasteful, but it makes our trips so much easier.

Just wanted to add at that age, I'd definitely bring your own stroller. We've rented from Disney before when ours were older, but at 2, you'll want your regular one that it much more comfortable. Full size strollers almost always fit on the security conveyor belt, but if not, they'll just manually inspect it.

I HIGHLY recommend if you have more than 1 adult, have 1 adult board when your supposed to with as much stuff as they're allowed and the parent with the toddler wait til final boarding. I think it's insane to board first with small kids if u don't have to...if you board last or next to last you can easily save yourself 20+ minutes of trying to keep your todd lee contained and quiet.

I also bring snacks (although I'm really trying to crack down on how much extra stuff I take to the parks, cause we never use half of it), but I'm totally not against bribing lol in special circumstances, so anything special (candy, snacks etc) that they don't get a lot of at home works really well when trying to buy time til the next show/ride/bus etc. - And def. on the plane. My youngest almost never gets to use the iPads etc at home but on planes, ABSOLUTELY, whatever works is my motto for air travel with those under 4 lol.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!