First trip with Baby- Bring Own Stroller or Rent Offsite?

Smile4Me

DIS Veteran
My husband and I are bringing our 11-month-old (turning one while we are there!) baby to Disney for the first time. We will be staying at BWV for 7 nights with 3 park days. We plan to go to the MK Epcot and then the MK again (it will be baby's 1st birthday!) Other days we will be resort exploring, playing mini-golf, going to Disney Sprins, pool, etc.
Tell me about the pros and cons of bringing your own stroller versus renting one from an offsite company. We currently use a Graco Jogger style stroller and if we rent I would want to rent another jogger style. TIA!

Last edited:
Rent a citi mini. We like Kingdom Stroller rentals. They can drop off and pick up from resort. We liked it so much we bought one on criagslist for the sole purpose of Disney trips.

And pro/con only depends on travel logistics. We have 3 kids so another item to think about and carry is a non-starter. With one kid, you may think bringing is better.

Love the Citi mini, too!

If are a baby wearer, I would prob just rent one. If you are not, I would bring your own so you have it in the airport.

Another vote for renting the Citi Mini with Kingdom Strollers. This article does a great job of comparing the pros and cons of bringing vs. renting and comparing the stroller companies...all of which looked fine to me. https://wdwprepschool.com/disney-world-strollers/

We need two double strollers for our 4 preschool grandkids and we went with the Mini GT vs. the City Mini because the GT accommodates taller kids. But with an 11 month old you'll be fine with the City Mini. The City Mini has so much more shade than a traditional umbrella stroller and definitely more shade than a "cheapie" throw-away umbrella stroller. We paid for insurance so we can be worry-free if the stroller gets taken.

For those recommending the Citi Mini, does it lay back? My baby is 25 lbs and 30 inches. We will mainly do back baby wearing...I am short and he is a chunk, and wearing on the front torques my back! Does anyone put a towel or something down in the stroller first to help with the heat?

For those recommending the Citi Mini, does it lay back? My baby is 25 lbs and 30 inches. We will mainly do back baby wearing...I am short and he is a chunk, and wearing on the front torques my back! Does anyone put a towel or something down in the stroller first to help with the heat?

It reclines quite a bit, but not fully flat. If you YouTube it you can see some examples of the recline. My grandkids never had a problem sleeping in it when they were young. It is not for newborns but reclines enough to begin using at 6 months.

Pros to bringing your own:
- You're already comfortable using it - folding, unfolding, etc.
- Don't have to carry/wear baby walking through the airport
- No added expense of renting
- Easier to find in the stroller corrals because it won't match 75% of all the other strollers (though you could add a ribbon/balloon/sign to find your rented stroller)

Cons to bringing your own:
- Airport security is slightly more cumbersome, in my experience (not impossible, just awkward and takes a little extra time, especially if it doesn't fold down small enough to fit through x-ray) ... that said, I still plan on bringing my own again. Pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

I would bring your own. As PP said, you're already familiar/comfortable with it and it's nice to have in the airport.

City mini reclines near flat is how they word it. It was enough I used it for a 3 month old on her 1st Disney trip. We are now taking it on our 5th Disney trip. We love it! And you can push it with one hand! Great for Disney!

I would bring my own just to have it in the airport. It's easy to gate check it and then have it when you get off the plane. I wouldn't want to carry an 11 month old through the entire airport, plus security, etc.

We rented a stroller because we didn't want to deal with the hassle of lugging a double stroller and car seat through the airport. We rented a double city mini gt. Super easy to close up, actually easier then the one we had at home.

I'll never not comment on a stroller thread.

I vote bring your own. It has everything you wanted in a stroller PLUS most airlines will allow you to check the stroller for free. I know SW, Delta, and American will allow you to gate check the stroller too. SO you can use the stroller while you are in the airport going through security etc then check it right before you board the plane. Then when you get off it's waiting for you at the door. For me, personally, this alone is worth it.

PLUS you save the money that you would have spent on a stroller rental.

Cons to bringing your own:
- Airport security is slightly more cumbersome, in my experience (not impossible, just awkward and takes a little extra time, especially if it doesn't fold down small enough to fit through x-ray) ... that said, I still plan on bringing my own again. Pros outweigh the cons, in my opinion.

I find this interesting. I have never had security make me put it through the x-ray belt thing. They just let me push it through. Maybe they take pitty on my since I'm a single mom and travel alone with my daughter?

This could definitely make it more of a hassle though - especially if you're traveling alone. I would still say it's worth it though.

I find this interesting. I have never had security make me put it through the x-ray belt thing. They just let me push it through. Maybe they take pitty on my since I'm a single mom and travel alone with my daughter?

This could definitely make it more of a hassle though - especially if you're traveling alone. I would still say it's worth it though.
I have seen many strollers sent thru the scanner. the ones that didn't fit had to be swabbed down and child still had to be removed.

I'll never not comment on a stroller thread.

I vote bring your own. It has everything you wanted in a stroller PLUS most airlines will allow you to check the stroller for free. I know SW, Delta, and American will allow you to gate check the stroller too. SO you can use the stroller while you are in the airport going through security etc then check it right before you board the plane. Then when you get off it's waiting for you at the door. For me, personally, this alone is worth it.

PLUS you save the money that you would have spent on a stroller rental.

Lol there are plenty of stroller threads to comment on!

Not to be a contrarian but I have had to run my Uppa Baby stroller through the scanner every time I’ve flown with the grandkids and I have TSA Precheck. Also Southwest bent the frame a bit on my stroller when it was gate checked. Could have happened with any airline but it has not closed easily since. No compensation for that. Sometimes I have to take it anyway but if renting is an option (especially with included resort delivery and pick-up) I’m definitely in! We have enough adults to manage the kids in the airport.

Thank you all for your input. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something we are missing for this trip. Yes, there is the chance it could get damaged or stolen (terrible that this happens) but the pros of bringing our own outweigh the cost of renting one. Plus we get in later and we are going to want it right after we get off the bus at the resort and get checked in. Maybe in the future, we will rent! Thanks all!

Thank you all for your input. I just wanted to make sure there wasn't something we are missing for this trip. Yes, there is the chance it could get damaged or stolen (terrible that this happens) but the pros of bringing our own outweigh the cost of renting one. Plus we get in later and we are going to want it right after we get off the bus at the resort and get checked in. Maybe in the future, we will rent! Thanks all!
with a late arrival what would you do if stroller is damaged when you get off plane? if you rent you would be able to pick up at bell services as you check in. and yes we have had a stroller not able to use even with gate check at arrival. you would not be able to rent or go to get a new one until morning I would have a plan B in case

We always brought our own stroller. It made it super easy to get through the airport and to be honest, our first visit w/ our now 16yo included a late departure and we almost missed our connecting flight. I took dd (2yo) and the bags and popped her in the gate checked stroller while dh took her car seat. We sprinted from the end of one terminal to the very end of another and managed to make the second flight. There is no way we would have made it w/o the stroller.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter