First WDW runDisney event - WDW Marathon or Wine and Dine?

Lm3js

Mouseketeer
Hi! I'm looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in 2020 or early 2021 with a runDisney event in WDW. I have narrowed it down to Wine and Dine or WDW Marathon weekend. Looking for opinions of which one would be best for me and looking for your experienced pros/cons (weather, park crowds, event logistics, vibe, swag, etc). I'm a huge Disney fan, but spend most of my park visits at Disneyland as I'm in CA. I have run the original DL half marathon but alas those are no more. My family and I have been to WDW before so aren't completely new.

Here are my stats/musings:
  1. I co-founded a racing team called Running Lushes (@runninglushes -- join us :). Wine and Dine seems like a good fit/on brand :) Plus, I loved the wine and dine festival at DCA. Not sure how similar it is in WDW.
  2. Several of our team members will likely be joining, but we may have some kids coming as well (not sure they would forgive me if I went by myself w/my friends). October may be a better time with Halloween festivities and school to visit parks? Could be fun w/just adults only? Think Jan would be a deal-breaker to bring kids as they are just returning to school off of Winter Break. Anyone have experience with this?
  3. I'm mainly a half marathoner but do like the challenge events (ie. 5k + 1/2) as I'm a bling chaser. I have no desire to run a full marathon but would consider it for the Dopey Challenge which I know only comes along with WDW weekend. I'm already dreading training for a marathon if I choose this btw.
  4. I will want to have some park time after/before so want to consider weather, park crowds, etc
  5. Which race has the best swag and vibe? Which one will I be least annoyed at with the logistics -- course crowds, bad race etiquette, long wait in corrals, overall course support?
Sound off your favorite WDW race and why? Should I consider a different one instead or did I narrow the 2 correctly?

Most schools are back in session for marathon weekend.

Weather will likely be warmer for wine and dine but also maybe more chance for rain. Marathon weekend can get quite cold but also can get warm. The marathon was 80 degrees this year.

Crowds are all dependent on what you can tolerate. There are no true slow periods at Disney anymore.

Marathon weekend has the best vibe. It’s the biggest and is just a lot of fun. Both are great though. Both are similar in race etiquette and logistics. Wine and dine is a smaller race weekend though. Marathon weekend will being around 100,000 people into town.

Which race has the best swag and vibe? Which one will I be least annoyed at with the logistics -- course crowds, bad race etiquette, long wait in corrals, overall course support?

I haven't loved the two marathon weekend events I've done. And I've since done 4 princesses, so that's saying something. Now, I was extremely, disturbingly ill for the first marathon weekend (I did the 5K and Half). So...

I haven't done the morning-time Wine and Dine. Despite the time change from a nighttime race, it still has the evening party, which I assume is fun (the 2014 W&D I did had a cold cold rain the whole time, and my bestie and I chose to go back to the hotel and warm up instead of going to the party).

So I'd likely do W&D if I needed to choose between the two, mainly because of the after-party.

I find park crowds, school absence, and course/swag to be about equal for all of these. Weather is really variable in January but has the benefit of little to no precipitation. Marathon weekends have often been warm, but then that week following we've sometimes had to buy gloves because we didn't think our NYer and midwestern hands would be cold. October weather will be warmer but could be humid and have afternoon thunderstorms. Food & Wine festival is great, but the Halloween festivities are really only if you do the party. Either race, I highly recommend the bulk of your vacation being AFTER the race.

Our family has done marathon weekend 6 out of the last 7 or 8 years. The half has become so crowded and is the same course as other Disney half races. I love the marathon - as much as anyone could love something that difficult. ;) And this is a personal thing, but I feel like I need to be doing THE BIG RACE of the weekend, i.e. whatever the longest one is. For marathon weekend, that's the marathon, for the other weekends it is the half. Whichever race(s) you choose, you'll feel like you're a part of the biggest Disney runner club. It feels like everyone in your hotel, everyone in the parks is wearing a medal or a race shirt. Having been a runDisney person for almost 10 years, I love that feeling of being with my people.

We did the first 3 years of Wine & Dine, when it was a nighttime race. I'm not as familiar with it as a morning race. However, my first ever Disney race was Princess, and I really appreciated being a part of a relatively smaller event for my first. There will still be DIS meet ups, pace groups, a big Expo, etc.

So I think your final decision depends on whether you would like that "everyone's here for the race!" or "everyone's here for Food & Wine, oh and some cool people are here to race."

Thank you for all your perspectives! I'm not sure it is making the decision any easier, but I certainly appreciate all the insights!! Plus hearing how great they both are overall is making me really excited!

Hi! I'm looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in 2020 or early 2021 with a runDisney event in WDW. I have narrowed it down to Wine and Dine or WDW Marathon weekend. Looking for opinions of which one would be best for me and looking for your experienced pros/cons (weather, park crowds, event logistics, vibe, swag, etc). I'm a huge Disney fan, but spend most of my park visits at Disneyland as I'm in CA. I have run the original DL half marathon but alas those are no more. My family and I have been to WDW before so aren't completely new.

Here are my stats/musings:
  1. I co-founded a racing team called Running Lushes (@runninglushes -- join us :). Wine and Dine seems like a good fit/on brand :) Plus, I loved the wine and dine festival at DCA. Not sure how similar it is in WDW.
  2. Several of our team members will likely be joining, but we may have some kids coming as well (not sure they would forgive me if I went by myself w/my friends). October may be a better time with Halloween festivities and school to visit parks? Could be fun w/just adults only? Think Jan would be a deal-breaker to bring kids as they are just returning to school off of Winter Break. Anyone have experience with this?
  3. I'm mainly a half marathoner but do like the challenge events (ie. 5k + 1/2) as I'm a bling chaser. I have no desire to run a full marathon but would consider it for the Dopey Challenge which I know only comes along with WDW weekend. I'm already dreading training for a marathon if I choose this btw.
  4. I will want to have some park time after/before so want to consider weather, park crowds, etc
  5. Which race has the best swag and vibe? Which one will I be least annoyed at with the logistics -- course crowds, bad race etiquette, long wait in corrals, overall course support?
Sound off your favorite WDW race and why? Should I consider a different one instead or did I narrow the 2 correctly?
Are you looking to do this year's Wine & Dine? Because the Half is already sold out. The Two Course Challenge is still available, since you mentioned you like to chase the bling. :)

Obviously for W&D, you have the benefit of the fest going on and Eat to the Beat Concerts. We've done it twice, but never made it to the after party (too tired), but we do manage to enjoy wandering around WS. Marathon weekend is HUGE. The only challenge is the Goofy (1/2 +Full) and Dopey. If the marathon is not on your list and you still want to do a challenge, then W&D might be your best option.

Both weekends are packed. You'll have Halloween decor for W&D and most likely Christmas decorations in the parks for Marathon weekend.

Weather is all over the map! 2017, the 5k and 10k were OK, the 1/2 was cancelled due to storms and the marathon was bitterly cold! 2018, all four days were also bitterly cold!!! And as mentioned, this year's marathon was 80 degrees! November has also had a 1/2 cut short for storms.

Are you looking to do this year's Wine & Dine? Because the Half is already sold out. The Two Course Challenge is still available, since you mentioned you like to chase the bling. :)
Hi! No, probably 2020 for W&D or 2021 for WDW Marathon -- my birthday month is December so looking to be as close to that. I'll have to do a challenge regardless of series because I can't not! If it ends up Marathon Weekend, I'd likely go for Dopey but I REALLY don't want to train for that. It gives me anxiety thinking about it ha ha...

I know registration for 2020 will open not too many months from now so want to be prepared.

If it ends up Marathon Weekend, I'd likely go for Dopey but I REALLY don't want to train for that

I did Dopey (my first full) this Jan to celebrate a big birthday and had SO MUCH FUN during the Marathon that I am going back 2020 just for the Marathon. Twice you have said you would like to "go for Dopey but don't want to train for that". Please don't. Dopey is no joke and if you are not willing to do the training and all the back-to-backs and 4 day sim weekends during the holidays- please don't do Dopey. It will not be "fun" for you it will be miserable. Overuse injuries and ITBand issues are real during December. You can still enjoy marathon weekend doing the half and the other races if you'd like.

Dopey is so much more than just extra miles and days of running. You have to commit and really train for it. I spent two years planning and training up to Dopey including getting a good POT. It is a lot more time on your feet races- time off your feet and out of the parks, more $$$, more nights in the hotel- more layers packed for weather, more shoes in case of rain, 4 days of 2AM wake up calls, 7:30PM bedtimes, etc. It is different than the 3-day challenge weekends it seems more intense with 26.2 miles looming that last day. "Just doing the Marathon" this year will be so much less of everything ($$, training miles, days off, etc.) than Dopey-looking forward to that.

If you want to "go for Dopey" then commit and train for it-if you do you will have blast! There is tons of support during the months of training and the race. It is amazing! Otherwise pick a race or 3 to enjoy and just enjoy those sans Dopey.

I think it's also a good idea to decide what days you'd like to be on vacation. If you decide to do the Half as your longest distance it would mean a Sunday race and expo opens on Thur. If you want to do the WDW Half the race is a Saturday and expo opens Wed. Though you really only have to go on the first day of the expo if you end up running Dopey or the 5k as well.

Not sure if someone already mentioned but take a look at course maps from last few years too (though they can always change.) WDW half offers a run through the castle but a lot of highway miles. W&D Half has a completely different course usually.

I like the person who suggested trying them both.

I did Dopey (my first full) this Jan to celebrate a big birthday and had SO MUCH FUN during the Marathon that I am going back 2020 just for the Marathon. Twice you have said you would like to "go for Dopey but don't want to train for that". Please don't. Dopey is no joke and if you are not willing to do the training and all the back-to-backs and 4 day sim weekends during the holidays- please don't do Dopey. It will not be "fun" for you it will be miserable. Overuse injuries and ITBand issues are real during December. You can still enjoy marathon weekend doing the half and the other races if you'd like.

If you want to "go for Dopey" then commit and train for it-if you do you will have blast! There is tons of support during the months of training and the race. It is amazing! Otherwise pick a race or 3 to enjoy and just enjoy those sans Dopey.

@Lm3js, while I fully endorse that you need to commit and train for Dopey if you're going to attempt it, the level of training you need depends on what you want to accomplish during the weekend. If your goal is to complete Dopey and have a good time doing it without worrying too much about shooting for PRs in individual races, it can be completed using a solid marathon training plan that incorporates running on back to back days during the week. There are a number of specialty training plans for Dopey that I'm sure work great, but personally think that they result in over training and increased incidences of injuries. I know a lot of people like to run race weekend "simulations", too, but I don't think they are critical to having the physical ability to comfortably complete the races. It's going to come down to how much you really want to do Dopey and whether you're willing to put in the training time and volume at least at marathon level.

I have run every race on this coast, and I say go for Wine and Dine. The Post Race Party is one of my favorite things at Disney. I'm a little biased, but the chance to see the Adventurers Club should not be passed up.

Thanks all for the solid advice! And yes, though I don’t want to “train” for a marathon, if I signed up, I would. I run 1/2 marathons at least 1 month now—sometimes 3x/month and race almost every weekend already + a few Ragnar Relays. No stranger to back to backs. But my main goal would be enjoying the weekend so would hope I could get away with walking a good part of it and be “fine” with that. Right now, I would not have any problem running a 5k, 10k, 1/2 on consecutive days..but just think I may be too worn out with marathon to then enjoy park days? I am a park warrior so would probably try to pack it all in (did 4 parks in 1.5 days a few years back on quick trip)..so kinda leaning toward wine and dine to have best of both worlds. Have to figure out what bucket list I want!

Hi! I'm looking to celebrate a milestone birthday in 2020 or early 2021 with a runDisney event in WDW...........

Thanks all for the solid advice! And yes, though I don’t want to “train” for a marathon, if I signed up, I would. I run 1/2 marathons at least 1 month now—sometimes 3x/month and race almost every weekend already + a few Ragnar Relays. No stranger to back to backs. But my main goal would be enjoying the weekend so would hope I could get away with walking a good part of it and be “fine” with that. Right now, I would not have any problem running a 5k, 10k, 1/2 on consecutive days..but just think I may be too worn out with marathon to then enjoy park days? I am a park warrior so would probably try to pack it all in (did 4 parks in 1.5 days a few years back on quick trip)..so kinda leaning toward wine and dine to have best of both worlds. Have to figure out what bucket list I want!

SOooooo you are looking to ".....celebrate a milestone birthday in 2020 or early 2021 with a runDisney event in WDW...." Well, I've got a celebratory challenge for you.....

2015 was my 65th B-day year and walked(bone on bone knees) the 5K, 10K, 1/2M + Marathon then on Monday before we headed to PC for the Inaugural Marathon Weekend CC 5K DCL Dream Cruise I walked a 1/2M at FW where we were staying(began at 3:30AM), then Tuesday at 4AM on the Dream I walked a 10K and then on Wednesday walked the CC 5K. 7 days, 7 events, 71 miles by Walking McFlurry John and yes I did leave the Marathon at mile 15 for my McDonald's visit getting my M&M McFlurry and returning to the Marathon with McFlurry in hand.

R U READY for a REAL Challenge??? BTW, what ever you decide on doing ---- ENJOY!!!

McFlurry John

SOooooo you are looking to ".....celebrate a milestone birthday in 2020 or early 2021 with a runDisney event in WDW...." Well, I've got a celebratory challenge for you.....

2015 was my 65th B-day year and walked(bone on bone knees) the 5K, 10K, 1/2M + Marathon then on Monday before we headed to PC for the Inaugural Marathon Weekend CC 5K DCL Dream Cruise I walked a 1/2M at FW where we were staying(began at 3:30AM), then Tuesday at 4AM on the Dream I walked a 10K and then on Wednesday walked the CC 5K. 7 days, 7 events, 71 miles by Walking McFlurry John and yes I did leave the Marathon at mile 15 for my McDonald's visit getting my M&M McFlurry and returning to the Marathon with McFlurry in hand.

R U READY for a REAL Challenge??? BTW, what ever you decide on doing ---- ENJOY!!!

McFlurry John
LOVE IT! I am not sure I have all that in me as I am lazy, but that is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter