First world rants

It's the season again for soups and stews. We even saw some snow here today :)

The other night my DH & DS wanted dinner and there was no meat in the house. So I whipped up a 15 minute pot of Scratchatell (pastina spinach eggdrop soup) for the first time in a decade because back then my son became too old to eat "baby food' pastina.
Boiled some water, threw a bag of spinach in the microwave, scrambled some eggs. Added a couple spoons of chicken Better than Bouillon and pastina to the water to cook for 5 minutes, then put in the spinach and drizzled in the eggs. Less than 15 minutes, soup's served.
My son continued eating over the evening till it was gone. Winner!

Today I wanted to really show them love by spending 2 hours making a huge pot of homemade chicken soup. They ate it but didn't even finish what was left in the first bowl.

15 minute soup 😍
2 hour soup 💩

sounds familiar. Did a pork tenderloin (rubbed in spice) yesterday...took all of 30 minutes. Served with steamed veggeies. There is maybe a 1" slice left.

Today, made a beef stew (darn good one too, got the seasoning just right on the first try) with carrots, baby red potatoes, celery, peas, jar of Frontera double roasted tomato salsa, Penzey's Beef Roast seasoning, AND Better Than Bouillon Roasted Beef base, along with homemade yeast dinner rolls. I was the only one who ate. :(

If this is a space for first world rants then I have a doozy. Just had to pay a 170$ surprise vet bill because one of my boys just had to have an issue on a Saturday. If it'd been a weekday it would have been like 50$. Bless them for seeing me in an emergency though.

Here's mine:

Our main TV (in the family room) died yesterday. Actually, it may or may not be the TV. There is a whole complicated system of equipment in the cabinet that is tied together in some manner and some of those things aren't working either. So, it is likely that one of the components died and so the others are not working because of the way that they are linked together. In any case, it isn't something my husband can figure out. We have to call and wait for the installation guy to come check it out. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and not something that will require ordering parts and multiple visits.

We have plenty of other TVs in the house, but this is super-irritating because of a few things. One, the location of this TV is in our main living area-- with the kitchen adjacent and the Christmas tree in it, etc. I hate going to the finished basement to watch TV, but it is that or to bedrooms right now. An even bigger issue is that the family room TV has the "master" DVR. So, because it is out, we can't access the DVR at all-- all of the shows we have recorded are not able to be watched. All of the recordings we have set to automatically record won't, and we have to try to remember to catch the shows that we really want to watch and hope that they aren't adjacent to something else we want to watch. We can't pause anything while we are watching it either. It is REALLY annoying. It is definitely a first-world problem, but I am super-bothered by this. Grrr...

Here's mine:

Our main TV (in the family room) died yesterday. Actually, it may or may not be the TV. There is a whole complicated system of equipment in the cabinet that is tied together in some manner and some of those things aren't working either. So, it is likely that one of the components died and so the others are not working because of the way that they are linked together. In any case, it isn't something my husband can figure out. We have to call and wait for the installation guy to come check it out. Hopefully it will be an easy fix and not something that will require ordering parts and multiple visits.

We have plenty of other TVs in the house, but this is super-irritating because of a few things. One, the location of this TV is in our main living area-- with the kitchen adjacent and the Christmas tree in it, etc. I hate going to the finished basement to watch TV, but it is that or to bedrooms right now. An even bigger issue is that the family room TV has the "master" DVR. So, because it is out, we can't access the DVR at all-- all of the shows we have recorded are not able to be watched. All of the recordings we have set to automatically record won't, and we have to try to remember to catch the shows that we really want to watch and hope that they aren't adjacent to something else we want to watch. We can't pause anything while we are watching it either. It is REALLY annoying. It is definitely a first-world problem, but I am super-bothered by this. Grrr...
Maybe a stupid question on my part but can you not just plug the DVR box into a different TV?

We have U-Verse and I believe that's how it would work with ours as I know we've replaced a tv and just hooked up the old box and when we've unfortunately had to replace the box (and all the recordings in the past went with the old box) hooking up a new box to a tv was a cinch. All prior DVR settings for shows was retained when a new box was wired in as well.

Our wireless DVR box can do everything the master DVR box can with the exception that the content is not stored on it. But we can pause, access recordings, set new recordings, heck you can watch a show on the wireless DVR box and then watch something else on the wired DVR box at the same time.

Maybe a stupid question on my part but can you not just plug the DVR box into a different TV?

We have U-Verse and I believe that's how it would work with ours as I know we've replaced a tv and just hooked up the old box and when we've unfortunately had to replace the box (and all the recordings in the past went with the old box) hooking up a new box to a tv was a cinch. All prior DVR settings for shows was retained when a new box was wired in as well.

Our wireless DVR box can do everything the master DVR box can with the exception that the content is not stored on it. But we can pause, access recordings, set new recordings, heck you can watch a show on the wireless DVR box and then watch something else on the wired DVR box at the same time.

Yes, I was suggesting that to my husband tonight. But the set-up for the whole entertainment system is so complicated that my husband is reluctant to pull the DVR from it. However, if he can’t get the guy to come very soon to look at it, that’s exactly what I am going to insist that we do! It’s bad enough to have no TV in the family room, but not having a DVR on top of it is setting me over the edge.

Yes, I was suggesting that to my husband tonight. But the set-up for the whole entertainment system is so complicated that my husband is reluctant to pull the DVR from it. However, if he can’t get the guy to come very soon to look at it, that’s exactly what I am going to insist that we do! It’s bad enough to have no TV in the family room, but not having a DVR on top of it is setting me over the edge.
I don't blame you! I live for my DVR lol

You can check Hulu. They have some shows that come up the day after they air (like Grey's Anatomy, General Hospital, Chicago Fire, etc)

Here's mine:

Out TV went out on Friday night just before bed. We don't have a huge complicated installation, so DS and I headed out to Best Buy to get a new one. Here's my first world rant. They're doing Black Friday pricing right now, which is great because it meant that we got a really good TV for much less than we would have otherwise, but, because they're gearing up for it, there are like 4,000 TVs laid out in all of the open spaces in the store! Just LCD after LCD TV all stacked up (vertically of course). It made it really difficult to maneuver around. Then, I had to pay another $25 to recycle my old TV.

This is the absolute epitome of my first world rants.

Truth be told, I don't really think she's that bad - there are lots that bug me more. I do find it curious though why so many people nobody has ever heard of end up judging these shows. I still watch Chopped quite regularly and really appreciate that it's actually about the cooking with and the judges are actual chefs that give reasonable, informative feedback. If they ever go to celebrity judges, I'm out.
Yes! She’s just a know it all who knows nothing. And she’s just mean for the sake of it.

I hate it when my apps just randomly kick me out for some unknown reason and I have to re-enter my user name and password. For example, for some unknown reason AT&T TV made me re-enter my info yesterday on my Apple TV. Since we're not supposed to use the same passwords for every account, it can be a real pain in the neck, especially when the person who encounters the issue (family member) has no idea what the password is.
I have a 3 year old Vizio TV. I have to do a "soft power cycle" about 3 times before any of the apps are available. Kind of makes the TV a little worthless. Yesterday while cooking dinner I went in and power cycled the TV 6 times before I was able to do anything with it.

I wanted to go Christmas shopping today but the weather for today is freezing rain, ice pellets, freezing drizzle and when that’s done snow.
I have a car but don’t want to chance it going out so instead I’ve been eating junk food all day😞

I wanted to go Christmas shopping today but the weather for today is freezing rain, ice pellets, freezing drizzle and when that’s done snow.
I have a car but don’t want to chance it going out so instead I’ve been eating junk food all day😞

I hear you girl! We got hit hard here in SW Ontario. My rant is the tree branches brought down on power lines by the ice. Our town use to be more proactive but with the cut backs in employees. The night was miserable in the dark, in the cold, with the smoke detectors going on and off all night long because the outages, were like rolling hydro was being provided.

I’ve worked enough today and I’m feeling a bit sick, so I’m going home to watch Disney+ on our new TV.

My movie suggestion got censored on a discussion thread about movies by a moderator who considered the movie title to be “political”
Oh wait - you said 1st world rants. Is there a 3rd world rant page?

My movie suggestion got censored on a discussion thread about movies by a moderator who considered the movie title to be “political”
Oh wait - you said 1st world rants. Is there a 3rd world rant page?
The phrase third world is now offensive to some people. I think now “they” want people to say emerging nations. Maybe that can be my first world rant. All these new phrases that are to be used.

I have another one. USPS has lost 2 of my gift packages. Two. Going to 2 different locations, shipped a day apart. from 2 different locations. What are the odds? hah

I never have this problem with FedEx. UPS, they like to deliver my packages to other people's houses. USPS likes to lose my packages and letters.

USPS is the worst! Every day it’s a surprise. Whose mail will I get today? Who will get mine? Will our mailperson even decide to show up today? No one knows!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter