Flash 5 audio embedding walkthrough:

WebmasterCricket

<font color=blue>Administrator<br><font color=red>
I can't assume anything about what is showing on your screen, so I will tell you to open up panels that may or may not already be open on your screen.

1) You should have a file open and you will most likely be looking at the white stage.
2) For just an audio file, you will not need to use the stage at the default size so you need to shrink it.
a) Go up to Modify and Movie
b) Change the Width and Height to 18 (as this is the minimum size allowed by Flash)
c) Make the background color whatever you want.
d) Leave everything else alone for now.
3) File
4) Import
5) Locate the MP3 and open it up
6) Window
7) Library
8) Click on the file you just imported and you should see the waveform in the small Library window
9) In the Timeline (the upper window with all of the little rectangles) click on Layer 1's first frame (has a "1" above it). It should turn black
10) Drag the waveform (kind of like OLE) to the stage (the big gray area) and let go
11) Frame 1 in Layer 1 will now have a little dash in it (that is the indicator that it contains an audio clip)
12) Click on Frame 1 in Layer 1 again to make it turn black (again)
13) Window
14) Panels
15) Sound (brings up the Sound Panel, which BTW does more than just sound stuff)
16) Your audio clip should be shown in this panel now
17) The "Sync:" pull down should be changed to "start"
18) File
19) Publish Settings
20) On the HTML tab, un-check "Display Menu"
21) On the Flash tab, Version pull down should be set for Flash 3 (since it's just an audio clip and doesn't require any ActionScripting, the Flash 3 setting will yield the highest # of compatible users that are able to listen)
22) You will need to play around with the "Set"tings for the Audio Stream on this tab. If you set the Bit Rate too high, it will make the user wait far too long for the resulting quality, and a setting that is too low will yield poor quality results regardless of how fast it loads. I'd also publish it both in Stereo and Mono to see if it is worth it to make a MUCH bigger Stereo track. You can also play around with the quality levels too and see which you prefer.
23) Once you finish up with the audio settings, just click OK and NOT Publish.

I'd save it as something other than the default Movie"x".fla

Once you get to this point, you can test the file 2 ways:

HTML or Flash

Flash:
1) File
2) Publish Preview
3) Flash
You will get a full screen (whatever color you chose as the background back on #2c) version of your file and the audio should start immediately.

HTML:
1) File
2) Publish Preview
3) HTML
You will get a web page in your default browser, which will display your filename.swf and play the audio by itself.

Once you are happy with the results, Preview it one last time in HTML. (This is one way of creating the final .swf product that you need to upload.)

Locate the filename.swf on your drive and upload it somewhere that supports linking to it.

Once you do this, call on me to help you with embedding it. DO NOT TRY TO EMBED IT YOURSELF IN A POST WITHOUT MY HELP!

I'm here M-F from 9:00ish to 5:30ish. Just PM me and I'll be glad to explain it further once I see that you have a good .swf uploaded.

PM me with any questions AT ALL about this or any other Flash stuff.

BTW this is not a "catch all" walkthrough. It is but one of MANY ways to do this with Flash.

JC

methinks I didn't spend NEARLYYYYYY enough time "exploring" FLASH during my free 30 day trial period! :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter