Flex Pass Superthread: Disneyland Resort Introduces New Annual Passport that Combines Value and Flexibility

So if we're planning to buy an annual flex pass, is it advisable to do it a little bit ahead of time and make a reservation for our dates? Is it really only 2 dates at a time?
Yes, it's only 2 dates at a time. If you buy it ahead of time, make sure that they update it to the 1st day used to enter the park. People have had to get that adjusted when they pick up the pass.

So if we're planning to buy an annual flex pass, is it advisable to do it a little bit ahead of time and make a reservation for our dates? Is it really only 2 dates at a time?

Yes, you can only hold two dates at a time. But note that not all dates require reservations.

If you are planning a visit and you will need more than 2 reservation dates, you can always purchase a multi-day ticket and then upgrade those tickets to Flex tickets at the end of your last day.

In case anyone is interested. Veterans Day was available at Disneyland for a few hours today, but as of 9:30 PM, it's showing as Unavailable once again. Also, next Saturday 11/16 is now Unavailable.

For some reason Disneyland is Available on the Day After Thanksgiving, while CA Adventure is Not. Other than that day, CA Adventure is completely Available over the next 30.

I’ve got to believe DCA has a lower limit of reservations outstanding. I’ve seen it run out more frequently than Disney, which kinda makes sense when you think of number of attractions and trying to balance wait times. Disney really seems to be doubling down on “improved park experience” (reduced wait times and crowding) and the price increases seem to have worked (attendance numbers were down but revenue was up). They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they then just let annual passes go wild.

Reactions: EmJ
I’ve got to believe DCA has a lower limit of reservations outstanding. I’ve seen it run out more frequently than Disney, which kinda makes sense when you think of number of attractions and trying to balance wait times. Disney really seems to be doubling down on “improved park experience” (reduced wait times and crowding) and the price increases seem to have worked (attendance numbers were down but revenue was up). They would be shooting themselves in the foot if they then just let annual passes go wild.
They could do a bit more to control crowds. It is very crowded this weekend, wait times are high, fast passes going quickly, and long lines for festival of holidays carts.

"They could do a bit more to control crowds. It is very crowded this weekend, wait times are high, fast passes going quickly, and long lines for festival of holidays carts."

Yes, this.

We have been here since Friday. Very long lines, lots of crowds and limited fast passes by early afternoon even when the park is open until midnight. We anticipated it due to the long weekend and start of the holidays at the resort but a MUCH different experience than this past summer when the parks were actually enjoyable. ;)

In case anyone is interested. Veterans Day was available at Disneyland for a few hours today, but as of 9:30 PM, it's showing as Unavailable once again.
FWIW, I cancelled our 11/10 and 11/11 reservations for [Both Parks] sometime early Friday evening. You might have seen those cancellations appearing briefly? I am enjoying what appears to be real-time, fluid behavior of availability.

The Friday after Thanksgiving was back open for Both Parks earlier today but now it is booked again for DCA. Today and 11/16 are now open for DCA but still booked for DL. I expected Thanksgiving week to be more booked, as well as the weekends in December. So far the one weekend in December that is eligible to book is still open for Both Parks.

"They could do a bit more to control crowds. It is very crowded this weekend, wait times are high, fast passes going quickly, and long lines for festival of holidays carts."

Yes, this.

We have been here since Friday. Very long lines, lots of crowds and limited fast passes by early afternoon even when the park is open until midnight. We anticipated it due to the long weekend and start of the holidays at the resort but a MUCH different experience than this past summer when the parks were actually enjoyable. ;)

that’s been the MO the past two years+ even before SWGE. Summer is the new shoulder season (along with January-March)... I still remember when Halloween was only 3 weeks in October, Mickey’s party was $25, and the parks would often close at 8pm in the fall.

ill get burned for saying this...but they have more room to go on price increases. Everything will be reservation/flex pass in <5yrs

Just checked and reservations for Both Parks are available on all days that are currently able to be reserved (through 12/12). So go get those reservations!!!
Man, if I had a Deluxe pass, I would be pissed. Blocked out 3 days of Thanksgiving weekend, and those with the cheaper Flex pass will probably be able to go at least 1-2 times that weekend.

Finally was able to book Dec. 14 yesterday morning (right at 7am) and thankful I did...showing unavailable as of this morning for DL. I know it can come and go as we’ve seen but I also know that’s going to be a busy weekend! I’ll definitely be booking 12/15 right at 7 this morning and our trip will be booked for that weekend! Super excited to be there at Christmastime!

Uh oh. I stupidly have been so busy, I forgot to make our reservation yesterday for 12/14.. I just went to check and it’s already unavailable. Do you think it will open back up eventually? I had a hotel booked for that weekend.

Uh oh. I stupidly have been so busy, I forgot to make our reservation yesterday for 12/14.. I just went to check and it’s already unavailable. Do you think it will open back up eventually? I had a hotel booked for that weekend.

Most days end up opening up so just keep looking. Also think about booking one park only. Sometimes only one is open. I needed one for the day after Thanksgiving but only Disneyland was open so I booked and then two days later both parks opened so I cancelled and booked both parks.

I saw it wasn't available earlier this morning but just looked and 14th is open for both parks- get in there quickly! :)

We just got Flex Passes and have never been during Halloweentime before, so I'm making plans to go in September 2020 with my immediate family (me, DH, DD (12), DS (10)), my MIL/FIL, and my SIL/BIL and their two kids (will be 5 and 2). It will be a first visit for the littlest two and the first in a long time for my SIL/BIL. Thinking about 4 park days.

While I think my little nuclear family would enjoy the Oogie Boogie Bash, I don't think it's a good value for the rest of our party (and I don't know that paying for another ticket on top of our FlexPass makes much sense), so I'm trying to figure out the best dates to work around the party, limit the number of "reservation required" days we would need, and limit the days my kids will miss from school.

If we went September 10-13, we would likely avoid the party days, but there would be a risk my family wouldn't be able to get in the 13th. Alternatively, we could plan for September 12-15, but based on the schedule this year, September 15th will likely be the first party day, so I'm not sure how crowded it would be that last day.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best set of days?

First off, bumping this to the top so that you get some answers to your questions!
Next, regarding OBB tickets, depending on your how your trip dates work out, you might be able to buy OBB tickets with an AP discount. Usually, one AP holder can buy up to 8 tickets with the discount. This year, the parties started on 9/17, and the first 8 dates had the AP discount. Just throwing this out there in case it turns out that your family is interested in trying this. We did see quite a number of larger family groups with all ages enjoying the party this year, so just keep it in mind while toying with your trip dates.

We just got Flex Passes and have never been during Halloweentime before, so I'm making plans to go in September 2020 with my immediate family (me, DH, DD (12), DS (10)), my MIL/FIL, and my SIL/BIL and their two kids (will be 5 and 2). It will be a first visit for the littlest two and the first in a long time for my SIL/BIL. Thinking about 4 park days.

While I think my little nuclear family would enjoy the Oogie Boogie Bash, I don't think it's a good value for the rest of our party (and I don't know that paying for another ticket on top of our FlexPass makes much sense), so I'm trying to figure out the best dates to work around the party, limit the number of "reservation required" days we would need, and limit the days my kids will miss from school.

If we went September 10-13, we would likely avoid the party days, but there would be a risk my family wouldn't be able to get in the 13th. Alternatively, we could plan for September 12-15, but based on the schedule this year, September 15th will likely be the first party day, so I'm not sure how crowded it would be that last day.

Does anyone have any thoughts on the best set of days?

So we went several times during the Halloween season this year and went to one OBB. I think you are right that probably the 5 & 2 yo will not get a lot out of it (my 4yo thought a lot of it was tooo scary).

However the mornings of the OBB were AMAZING. DCA was empty and we walked on/5 minute waits for stuff. Since people with one park per day tickets chose DL instead of DCA it was very chill until the mix in time. If you can plan to hit DCA early on those days and take a break or head over to DL after I think you can have a great trip even if there is an OBB going on.

So we went several times during the Halloween season this year and went to one OBB. I think you are right that probably the 5 & 2 yo will not get a lot out of it (my 4yo thought a lot of it was tooo scary).

However the mornings of the OBB were AMAZING. DCA was empty and we walked on/5 minute waits for stuff. Since people with one park per day tickets chose DL instead of DCA it was very chill until the mix in time. If you can plan to hit DCA early on those days and take a break or head over to DL after I think you can have a great trip even if there is an OBB going on.

Thanks, this is good information and suggests my Saturday to Tuesday plan might work, especially since we'd likely be flying out in the early evening as the party crowds are arriving. Of course, it occurred to me last night that my in-laws would be eligible for Magic Morning Saturday but we won't, which is a complicating factor (do we (1) have them go in and get through a few rides and then meet up after rope drop, (2) all go in together with the rope drop crowd and focus on the less-popular FL rides that I think the littles would like -- carousel, Casey Jr., storybook land boats, teacups; or (3) start with DCA Saturday instead which is unappealing since I think my 5-year old nephew will need some time to warm up to the bigger rides and DL seems like it's better to ease him in. If we picked option (2) or (3) they could possibly use MM on Tuesday. None of them are morning people, so I have some doubt about getting them to rope drop, let alone MM.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!